OT: 2024 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, lots of areas with still so much low snow pack. This has helped but we are still at historic lows.
I've seen a dozen Marches in my life where you see some grass at this time of year, or soon. Many years theres a melt cycle, even Early March. We're fine with the snow ground cover right now. I know climate alarmists want to thing differently.

Reactions: oilers'72

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm hoping for a rainy Spring. And a slow snow melt. All that snow will just run off the top if the ground's still frozen and it heats up quick.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I've seen a dozen Marches in my life where you see some grass at this time of year, or soon. Many years theres a melt cycle, even Early March. We're fine with the snow ground cover right now. I know climate alarmists want to thing differently.
I am far from a climate alarmist. The snow the past 2 weeks is an absolute godsend but before that we didn’t even have a measurable snow pack across most of the prairies. I don’t even care if we attribute it to climate change, the prairies often do go through dry cycles, but we are on the cusp of a doozy one right now.

Still time for this season though and early season rains trump snow in the prairies although nothing really makes up for the lack of snowpack for the southern rivers. So we need to see how that shakes out,

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I am far from a climate alarmist. The snow the past 2 weeks is an absolute godsend but before that we didn’t even have a measurable snow pack across most of the prairies. I don’t even care if we attribute it to climate change, the prairies often do go through dry cycles, but we are on the cusp of a doozy one right now.

Still time for this season though and early season rains trump snow in the prairies although nothing really makes up for the lack of snowpack for the southern rivers. So we need to see how that shakes out,
Mountains have seen a lot of snow pack. We have solid build up right now.

Not sure how old you are but we had a decade or longer spell here where you couldn't even grow grass. Would hardly rain. I call it alarmism because in recent years these have been the most arable times I've ever seen for gardening. Using mostly rainwater, around 80% rainwater.

Just seems like every little weather hiccup now gets attributed to climate change specifically and then with the invocation of all due to C02 (not saying you)

Everytime I read the paper, the current news they say how fires and atmospheric rivers and flooding are climate changes. When these events have occurred through history. Pineapple express for instance was hitting lower mainland areas before they were even widely settled.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

People always say some locations have a large scale flood around every 100 years. I think the same can be said for droughts too. The start of the Dirty 30’s was 95 years ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We certainly have been having a ton of snow the last couple weeks, and could really use some more. But apparently, not so much in the northern area, and that is a concern. Lot's of trees left for them to burn still.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Mountains have seen a lot of snow pack. We have solid build up right now.

Not sure how old you are but we had a decade or longer spell here where you couldn't even grow grass. Would hardly rain. I call it alarmism because in recent years these have been the most arable times I've ever seen for gardening. Using mostly rainwater, around 80% rainwater.

Just seems like every little weather hiccup now gets attributed to climate change specifically and then with the invocation of all due to C02 (not saying you)

Everytime I read the paper, the current news they say how fires and atmospheric rivers and flooding are climate changes. When these events have occurred through history. Pineapple express for instance was hitting lower mainland areas before they were even widely settled.
It is absolutely a natural cycle. In saying that however humanity is absolutely compounding the problem. Even if we are just speeding up the process we need to accept that we are doing damage and do everything we can to mitigate our impact.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What color is your Smartcar?

It used to be black. My middle son borrowed it to go to work on evening and on his way home a drunk driver in a stolen car that had no registration or insurance turned left right in front of him and wrote it off.

I didn’t realize those little things could get shorter.

True story!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Enjoy it, and the 2 days that follow. Going to get a little nasty for the rest of the week, as old man winter gives his last push.
I was thinking of doing my tire swap this week, and then saw that forecast, so figured it’s best to wait another week or two.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I always go by the Halloween & Easter weekends to do the old tyre swap.

Can’t wait to get the winter tires off and the summers on. But I live in Alberta so I get high performance all seasons instead of summer slicks just in case of a snowfall.

IMG_1306.jpeg

Going to be a sweet weekend, will be outdoors, unless I’m cleaning the garage!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I always go by the Halloween & Easter weekends to do the old tyre swap.

Can’t wait to get the winter tires off and the summers on. But I live in Alberta so I get high performance all seasons instead of summer slicks just in case of a snowfall.

View attachment 836609

Going to be a sweet weekend, will be outdoors, unless I’m cleaning the garage!
The only problem with going with Easter is it can fall anywhere from about the third week in March to the last week in April. ;)

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
The only problem with going with Easter is it can fall anywhere from about the third week in March to the last week in April. ;)
Yeah that’s correct. Hah

I do remember as kid, that we usually took our bikes out of the shed during first week of April, usually after spring break.
It was like freedom had returned.
Kinda same feeling with my car now.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Everyone enjoy this teaser weekend!

I'll be shirtless wearing my winter boots with a beer in my hand while sitting on my lawn chair that's entrenched in a foot of snow in my backyard. Making sure to maximize that vitamin d synthesis through the skin. I'll prob have a fire too and BBQ some ribs.

Life will be great but it could even be better with a huge Oiler victory vs the Avs!

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Everyone enjoy this teaser weekend!

I'll be shirtless wearing my winter boots with a beer in my hand while sitting on my lawn chair that's entrenched in a foot of snow in my backyard. Making sure to maximize that vitamin d synthesis through the skin. I'll prob have a fire too and BBQ some ribs.

Life will be great but it could even be better with a huge Oiler victory vs the Avs!
For me it’s the start of pick up dog crap week. Amazing how one small dog can poop so much, and finding a different spot every single time. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad