GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It does feel like SJ is stringing Vegas along to me. I'd just be absolutely floored if it's them.
I was wondering that too, maybe trying to scare Fitz in giving up an asset he's been reluctant too.

This is a galaxy-brained take. There's no way this would even cross my mind as a general manager - by the time San Jose is even remotely good, I will not be in that job anymore.
Whatever dude.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
He has. This is directly from a LeBrun article four days ago:

New Jersey, Carolina and, I believe, Vegas round out the front-runners on Meier. As reported before, the Devils would likely need a contract extension with Meier to be part of things, whereas the Hurricanes are open to making that trade without an extension in place.”
Do the deal now with Meier without an extension, and then back yourself to sign him long term soon after you acquire him. Like what Lou did with Horvat.

• Haha
Reactions: theoptimist

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Absolutely totally fine without an extension in place. I’m not concerned one bit he would bolt ufa. It will keep the price down just a little

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Only catch with Vegas is it’s likely those first round picks will be better then the Devils in the coming years so they hold more value most likely.

It also could be something as simple as Vegas and SJ haven’t come to terms in Vegas best and final offer and are still working towards it to see if it’s better then what the Devils or another team are offering.

Just like NJ is probably still working on SJ to allow them to speak with Meier’s agent.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Only catch with Vegas is it’s likely those first round picks will be better then the Devils in the coming years so they hold more value most likely.

It also could be something as simple as Vegas and SJ haven’t come to terms in Vegas best and final offer and are still working towards it to see if it’s better then what the Devils or another team are offering.

Just like NJ is probably still working on SJ to allow them to speak with Meier’s agent.
It’s been reported there’s a “Western Tax” though for Western Conference teams. They have to pay more.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
And then the common sense is Vegas prospect pool is really thin. It's almost all C prospects.

They can offer up more firsts to try and compensate, but that would be dumb on their part considering where they are at and I still don't think it would beat our offer.

If Carolina is out, I would be shocked if this doesn't get done.

Only hiccup is a last second mystery team swooping in like Buffalo who has prospects that can match or beat our offer
Buffalo could swoop in but I doubt they do. Doubt they sell of cost controlled future players for a wild card spot they aren’t guaranteed.

Also, maybe I’m reading into it too much, but PL’s tweet only mentioned us being in it. No mention of Vegas.

Maybe wishful thinking.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Buffalo could swoop in but I doubt they do. Doubt they sell of cost controlled future players for a wild card spot they aren’t guaranteed.

Also, maybe I’m reading into it too much, but PL’s tweet only mentioned us being in it. No mention of Vegas.

Maybe wishful thinking.

He did say teams so someone else is still sniffing around. Vegas seems like the best educated guess

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I disagree with that. Once a Meier just accepts his QO at 10M, after which he becomes an UFA, his value will dwindle down.

We would trade him before making his QO, or allow teams to talk contracts with him before he accepts the QO.

How though? If he's a rental we pay x amount of dollars. If we're trading his rights in the off season the return can't be "significant" unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
He's not a pure rental. He's RFA this summer, not UFA. It would be a trade similar to DeBrincat or Tkachuk, which included a year or two of control.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I prefer Meier unextended and I don't think his qualifying offer is a death blow to the team in terms of roster construction next year. They can credibly claim they will just give to him in negotiations unless he lowers his AAV ask on a long term deal.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
What if Meier is forcing his way to Vegas and that’s why they’re involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad