GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fitz to do list:
1. Top six winger (To replace Sharangovich): Timo Meier
2. Wing/center (To replace Boqvist): Maxi Domi
3. Goalie (To replace Blackwood): James Reimer

Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Domi
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Marino
Smith-Severson

Vanecek-Reimer

I don’t think Fitz will get a D as they want to keep a spot open for Luke Hughes
If they want to get an upgrade for the bottom 6 like Maxi Domi, Sharangovich could be on the outer. If he is not part of San Jose trade, he could be a healthy scratch or forced to a 4th line role.

I think we will get an experienced goalie, even though Schmid is ready. They can’t rely on Blackwood. He’s play is too inconsistent and injuries issue now is a bit of a worry.
I don’t want Reimer anymore. I’m pretty sure he’s toast, but then again this is what Reimer is every other year. It’s why he was never a starting goalie in the NHL for very long. This is the story of his career and why he couldn’t keep a starting job for multiple years. He was good last year on a bad Sharks team, but is pretty bad this year.

You’ve gotta be pretty bad for me to just say f*** it let’s keep Blackwood for the rest of this year or juggle Blackwood/Schmid and one of them will figure it out over their 7-9 remaining starts this year, rather than get Reimer.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don’t want Reimer anymore. I’m pretty sure he’s toast, but then again this is what Reimer is every other year. It’s why he was never a starting goalie in the NHL for very long. This is the story of his career and why he couldn’t keep a starting job for multiple years. He was good last year on a bad Sharks team, but is pretty bad this year.

You’ve gotta be pretty bad for me to just say f*** it let’s keep Blackwood for the rest of this year or juggle Blackwood/Schmid and one of them will figure it out over their 7-9 remaining starts this year, rather than get Reimer.
Thoughts on Talbot as an alternative then?

Just need a veteran til end of season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the TDL you can send players up and down to the minors without having to worry about waivers, right?

If so Blackwood's slot has to be in jeopardy.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thoughts on Talbot as an alternative then?

Just need a veteran til end of season.
I’d just go with what we got.

I don’t see the backup goalie position as a priority anymore for the remainder of this season. We only have 23 games left. Vitek will probably play 13-15 of them. Maybe less if we don’t have much to play for down the stretch. Barring an extended losing streak from us, combined with a Rangers winning streak, we’re right now realistically locked into 2nd place and can potentially still challenge for the division.

I’m not that worried anymore about Blackwood/Schmid combining for 10-12 of the remaining games.

Schmid is probably overachieving to some extent, but has looked more than capable to give the benefit of the doubt too.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the TDL you can send players up and down to the minors without having to worry about waivers, right?

If so Blackwood's slot has to be in jeopardy.
I don’t know if you can send them up and down without having to worry about waivers, but there’s no roster limits and we could have Blackwood and Schmid both on the NHL roster, but not sure if both would fit cap wise. And I’m not good with the knowledge on how that stuff works post deadline.

I do think or at least hope Blackwood’s spot for next year is more than in jeopardy, but don’t care anymore about this year.

I fully expect Blackwood to miss a couple more weeks at the least.

Reactions: Nubmer6

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think last year Schmid underachieved. He won goalie of the year in juniors, and was arguably the better goalie last year in the AHL. Blew a tire in the NHL. I don’t really see a need for a goalie. I don’t really see a need for winger.

(Why wasn’t Mercer moved to Nico’s line sooner?!)

I wanted the Devils to go after ROR, before he was traded. A 3C should be target 1 and a defenseman for depth. Timo is too good to not try, but he replaces Sharan and the third line would be..

Palat-Haula-Sharan (unless someone is moved)

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
So question, regardless of the Meier situation I’m curious if everyone thinks that will be our only move or what other moves we can even afford to do?
Sorry wrong answer.

Attachments

• 1677412257451.png
    1677412257451.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 2

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think last year Schmid underachieved. He won goalie of the year in juniors, and was arguably the better goalie last year in the AHL. Blew a tire in the NHL. I don’t really see a need for a goalie. I don’t really see a need for winger.

I wanted the Devils to go after ROR, before he was traded. A 3C should be target 1 and a defenseman for depth. Timo is too good to not try, but he replaces Sharan and the third line would be..

In fairness, his goalie of the year in “juniors” was in the USHL which is wildly different than being the best goalie in the CHL. He also post an .890 in his D+2 year in the USHL (although it was only 13 games because of Covid).

He’s been great recently, can’t take that away from him. But I wouldn’t say he was some lights out prospect his entire career.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So what’s the max ‘acceptable’ offer withOUT an extension since shockingly it seems that’s where it’s going now?

I kind of don’t really feel all that different whether it’s with or without an extension. I feel confident we’d get one done. Now if we can pay less then great but 1st+Holtz+Muk/Yegor to me is the deal either way

If you can keep Yegor then great for injury depth purposes. I wouldn’t mind moving him at all though for Meier. Yegor’s value kind of plummets when you drop him out of the top 6. Zetterlund’s much better there and Palat-Haula-Zetterlund’s looked great.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
More worried about Vegas than Carolina at this point

I’m not worried about Vegas at all. First off they really just don’t have the assets and they’re in the division. I saw people say the rumored deal Strickland was talking about that was turned down was 2 1sts+Bolduc. I feel like Vegas best deal would be a similar one with 2 1sts+Brisson. Can’t see that getting it done.

Reactions: Mgd31

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Is today V-T Day? (Victory for Timo)

Sure as hell hope so. If no extension in place how can Vegas possibly make a legit offer that bests ours by some bit considering they are in division.

I think this Vegas talk is really just the fact Vegas likes to be in on everything, maybe SJ leaked it to try to give the devils less leverage.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Sounds to me that SJ, wants Mercer. That’s a big no for me. Not sure about anyone else?

Of course they do. He's not going anywhere though and they're not getting a Mercer equivalent so either they lower the ask or they keep him and hope someone flings them a high pick at the draft. With Carolina rumored to be backing down then Jarvis isn't going anywhere. Meier isn't open to signing in Winnipeg so I doubt they'd move Perfetti.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Get a top 6 forward (Meier)

Get bottom 6 forward depth that wont cost you too much (Trenin/Jeannot/Barbashev/JVR/Bjugstad/Parise/Eller)

Get a depth D that slots in at 5/6/7 depending on need (not really sure who the targets are, Kulikov etc I guess)

I'm open for any surprises (Henrique/McCabe etc) Fitz has in his pocket too. Goalie market is probably pretty dead. Its Talbot, Reimer and Korpisalo and I would only get one of them for insurance if theyre really cheap. I'm fine with Vitek-Mac-Schmid-Daws as the 4.

Reactions: Guadana

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Fitz to do list:
1. Top six winger (To replace Sharangovich): Timo Meier
2. Wing/center (To replace Boqvist): Maxi Domi
3. Goalie (To replace Blackwood): James Reimer

Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Domi
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Graves-Marino
Smith-Severson

Vanecek-Reimer

I don’t think Fitz will get a D as they want to keep a spot open for Luke Hughes
If they want to get an upgrade for the bottom 6 like Maxi Domi, Sharangovich could be on the outer. If he is not part of San Jose trade, he could be a healthy scratch or forced to a 4th line role.

I think we will get an experienced goalie, even though Schmid is ready. They can’t rely on Blackwood. He’s play is too inconsistent and injuries issue now is a bit of a worry.
As much as I like Meier with Hughes and Bratt, I think I'd rather have him with Nico so we have more balance, especially during the playoffs where teams will be playing the match up game.

Meier-Nico-Mercer/Tatar
Bratt-Hughes-Tatar/Mercer

You can obviously also insert Palat in the top 6 as well. But if what Mercer is showing is on some level a sustainable step up in his play, that is a very dangerous top 6 and he can play on either line.

Also - I don't see Domi as a need. We have enough comparable players and he will almost certainly be less productive in a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: DevilDog

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As much as I like Meier with Hughes and Bratt, I think I'd rather have him with Nico so we have more balance, especially during the playoffs where teams will be playing the match up game.

Meier-Nico-Mercer/Tatar
Bratt-Hughes-Tatar/Mercer

You can obviously also insert Palat in the top 6 as well. But if what Mercer is showing is on some level a sustainable step up in his play, that is a very dangerous top 6 and he can play on either line.

Also - I don't see Domi as a need. We have enough comparable players and he will almost certainly be less productive in a bottom 6 role.

I'm fine with starting Meier with Jack-Bratt just because of how much Tatar-Nico-Mercer is rolling. Once that slows down I'd be putting Meier with Nico. I'm also not a huge fan of Tatar-Jack. It just doesn't really seem to work as well as Nico. I'd either go Palat-Jack-Bratt and Meier-Nico-Mercer or Bratt-Jack-Mercer and Tatar/Palat-Nico-Meier.

Agreed on Domi. I have no interest and he's also very much not the player people think he is. He is nothing at all like Tie. He's also just really not good. Sure he's producing but that's because he's in an oversized role. He's absolute dog shit defensively and isn't going to produce in a bottom 6 role. He shouldn't be on our radar literally at all.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Roster players rather keep Z ....prospect wise rather keep Muk over Casey but we have more prospect depth on the left side so could see argument for Casey but I think Muk is better prospect

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Looks like teams don't wanna give more than ott in DeBrincat trade

Elliotte and Frank both have said expect this to end up being less than Debrincat. I think ultimately it might end up being a bit more but it shouldn't be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad