GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah...something seems off here.

A team with no assets is still hanging around this late in the game? They've been called the dark horse and yesterday mentioned as the team he wants to sign with.

Where was it mentioned he wanted to sign with them? I missed that.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
How though? If he's a rental we pay x amount of dollars. If we're trading his rights in the off season the return can't be "significant" unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
Meier isn't an UFA in 2023, he's a RFA with 10M QO. This is a minimal team control but still Meier doesn't entirely control his destiny. Agree that his value would be much lower at that point.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Carolina is out then I hope NJ didn't take the bait and agree to a deal conditional on an extension. Seems like a great way to overpay in terms of assets you give up and the AAV on his next deal.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Vegas doesn’t have better prospects they can offer to San Jose than us. And meier is fine with coming here.

The only Vegas bs was a rumor that Johnston heard, yet he’s the only insider that heard it. Friedman didn’t mention it what so ever.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Vegas doesn’t have better prospects they can offer to San Jose than us. And meier is fine with coming here.

The only Vegas bs was a rumor that Johnston heard, yet he’s the only insider that heard it. Friedman didn’t mention it what so ever.
True and Lebrun has been really connected to this and I don’t think he’s ever really mentioned Vegas.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Friedman and LeBrun have both said Vegas is involved, amongst others. Honestly I don’t think there’s a reputable reporter who hasn’t said Vegas is involved.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
True and Lebrun has been really connected to this and I don’t think he’s ever really mentioned Vegas.
He’s mentioned they’re interested, but he never mentioned they’re the only team meier is interested in.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Friedman has mentioned Vegas throughout, especially with Stone on LTIR. But he has also mentioned that SJ may not want to trade him there because they are in the same division and thus Vegas may have to pay a tax.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Friedman and LeBrun have both said Vegas is involved, amongst others. Honestly I don’t think there’s a reputable reporter who hasn’t said Vegas is involved.
Being involved is out the same as they are the front runner (Friedman has said he thinks it’s NJ for a while), nor is it the same as oh meier only wants Vegas for an extension.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He has. This is directly from a LeBrun article four days ago:

New Jersey, Carolina and, I believe, Vegas round out the front-runners on Meier. As reported before, the Devils would likely need a contract extension with Meier to be part of things, whereas the Hurricanes are open to making that trade without an extension in place.”

Reactions: Mgd31

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Some of you need reading lessons. I said that no one besides CJ has mentioned that meier only wants Vegas, or prefers them. CJ also said some around the league believe that might be a thing, while most in the league believe NJ is the landing spot.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Being involved is out the same as they are the front runner (Friedman has said he thinks it’s NJ for a while), nor is it the same as oh meier only wants Vegas for an extension.
I haven’t seen that extension part anywhere, but Vegas has been on the short list of front runners for weeks with the Devils, Carolina, and for a period of time, the Blues.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Some of you need reading lessons. I said that no one besides CJ has mentioned that meier only wants Vegas, or prefers them. CJ also said some around the league believe that might be a thing, while most in the league believe NJ is the landing spot.
You never said that in your post. Go back and re-read it.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Friedman has mentioned Vegas throughout, especially with Stone on LTIR. But he has also mentioned that SJ may not want to trade him there because they are in the same division and thus Vegas may have to pay a tax.

And then the common sense is Vegas prospect pool is really thin. It's almost all C prospects.

They can offer up more firsts to try and compensate, but that would be dumb on their part considering where they are at and I still don't think it would beat our offer.

If Carolina is out, I would be shocked if this doesn't get done.

Only hiccup is a last second mystery team swooping in like Buffalo who has prospects that can match or beat our offer

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Kinda foolish of Vegas to stay in this and possibly help a rival get a better package for Meier.

This is a galaxy-brained take. There's no way this would even cross my mind as a general manager - by the time San Jose is even remotely good, I will not be in that job anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad