GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
You're fine throwing him and/or Nemec into the playoffs with no NHL experience? I'm not a fan of that. Upside isn't that high and downside is really low. Guess we just pray for no injuries.

I tried that. Apparently because some other teams and players like Makar did it Hughes can.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
You're fine throwing him and/or Nemec into the playoffs with no NHL experience? I'm not a fan of that. Upside isn't that high and downside is really low. Guess we just pray for no injuries.

Not Nemec. But Hughes, yes. His offensive upside is pretty high, and in sheltered minutes I think he would do ok.

Ideally, we have no injuries and our offense continues to produce, and we don't need to put him in. But if we hit a snag somewhere or someone gets hurt, he's a good option for Lindy to have in his back pocket.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I tried that. Apparently because some other teams and players like Makar did it Hughes can.

All of Luke's comps stepped into the league as impact players. There is no reason to believe Luke can't. People are paranoid for the sake of being paranoid. Hockey is hockey. People act like just being it's the playoffs they're playing some new sport that a player has never played before.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If you are having to go 8/9 down the depth chart for defense then the boom/bust player may not be the worst option.

Reactions: HBK27

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not Nemec. But Hughes, yes. His offensive upside is pretty high, and in sheltered minutes I think he would do ok.

Ideally, we have no injuries and our offense continues to produce, and we don't need to put him in. But if we hit a snag somewhere or someone gets hurt, he's a good option for Lindy to have in his back pocket.

Gives Ruff different options depending on the situation too. If he needs size, he can put in Bahl. Need experience he puts in Smith. Needs some extra offense we can put in Luke

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
More than fine with Luke. f*** no on Nemec. I don't even want him in the NHL next year until at least late.

How is adding Luke f***ing Hughes not high upside? Pretty much all of his comps step into the league as really good impact players.
Because he can’t defend that well in-zone in college even, I sure as shit don’t want him defending in-zone in the NHL playoffs with zero experience.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

But he is good enough to deserve a chance, and if he can't we still have 7D (plus Nemec).

Because he can’t defend that well in-zone in college even, I sure as shit don’t want him defending in-zone in the NHL playoffs with zero experience.
Guys do it from Junior, and the NCAA is alot closer to the NHL than the CHL is.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
All of Luke's comps stepped into the league as impact players. There is no reason to believe Luke can't. People are paranoid for the sake of being paranoid.

Its not being paranoid.

its just being logical. The fact of the matter is putting a rookie with little to no NHL experience just doesnt seem like a smart move. Sitting the guys who got you there in the first place, who put you in the position you are in.

Injuries are different of course.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Nemec and Hughes also have a whole year of development between them, at that age, that’s a lot. Different situations.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The horror of Luke as your 6th D giving up some chances while ignoring that the good would outweigh the bad.
As if Smith never gives up chances. I don’t mind him but Luke is a net positive, he can at least create offensively at an elite level.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Smith and Bahl will still be above him depth wise unless Luke muscles his way up the lineup.

It's good to have a weapon like that in your pocket though if you need extra offense or are trying to change the dynamic of a series

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
When I first saw this, I thought the tweet said Chuck Fletcher has been fired.

I'm now surprised that's not what it said.
He's gotta be a part of some circle jerk / old boys club. Has to be. No other way he still keeps his job. He's been in a managerial role in the NHL since what, the mid-90's? Hard to believe seeing his body of work.

Oh yeah and what a f***ing bonkers trade deadline week. Refreshing to see this many moves made. Some of the moves reminded of Paul Gaustad for a first round pick though :laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
All of Luke's comps stepped into the league as impact players. There is no reason to believe Luke can't. People are paranoid for the sake of being paranoid. Hockey is hockey. People act like just being it's the playoffs they're playing some new sport that a player has never played before.
I think whats tough here is most of those instances arent on the 2nd/3rd best team in the league at the time.

I think Luke could hang just like Quinn, Cale, etc... But will upper brass want to do that when this team has an actual chance to contend? That Im not too sure about

Which sucks too because were talking about him starting over the likes of Brendan Smith lol. But I feel they really want his physicality in the playoffs

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

The opposite approach compared to Toronto

I'm still waiting to see if Toronto managed to unload any of their 9892653 NHL defensemen on the roster before the deadline.

Or are they planning to play some of them at forward, kind of like the reverse of how they had Marner play D that time?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean they couldn't trade JVR this offseason when they needed to clear space for Gaudreau, why would they have better luck dealing him now?

Reactions: Saugus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad