GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Development isn't linear though. Makar's growth was exponential. I agree there's not a reason Luke wouldn't be able to step in and play. Saying Makar didn't have a great prospect profile because his DY wasn't exceptional doesn't make sense.
The point is , if you looked at makar’s prospect profile you wouldn’t say generational just like 100 percent of the nhl did

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It’s not guarantee that Luke will be good immediately, but if you have bet against this player at any point during his development, you’ve lost.

The standard he needs to meet is “better than Brendan Smith or Kevin Bahl”. Or some AHLer if we really get hit with injuries. He’ll get a little trial before the playoffs luckily and we can see how he looks.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Luke will get a shot to show he's not overwhelmed in the regular season, that's fine by me in terms of risk management. If the game's too fast for him defensively in the postseason he can sit for Bahl/Smith, not worth paying up for insurance and moving a roster piece to fit it in.

Given Severson and maybe even Graves are likely gone next year, this could be the Devils best shot at a cup actually for a few years while Hughes/Nemec mature.

Reactions: HBK27

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I think Hughes will probably be net better than Graves by Christmas at the absolute latest.

But I’m a known Graves hater. Sevs is harder to replace, but that’s why I want a depth RHD signing in the off-season.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
These deals trickling in after the deadline are all such nothing moves. Guys you've never heard of being traded for each other.

I'm hoping for at least one more big move out of left field that snuck in under the wire.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I believe they will figure it out how Luke can defend on NHL level against nIco and jack on practice. And if he is good enough, they will try him in the game. And Ruff isn`t the guy who will not sit the boy if he will sh`t into his pants. Dont worry, guys. Please. This mechanic is hard, it`s not a one before from winning game to 6 missed goals because Luke will make some huge mistakes.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
The only guy comparable is Makar and he's a generational defenseman, might become one of the greatest offensive defensemen of all time.

McAvoy is a phenomenal defensive defenseman, so not apples to oranges compared to Luke. McAvoy there's at least an expectation that he could handle things in the defensive zone.
There both comparable, there both elite college prospects that made the jump directly to the playoffs when there college season ended.

And the only reason why there is not more comparables is because you're talking about a very niche situation. You're talking about elite defensive prospects that are typically drafted top 10, that go the college route that are also on teams that are good enough to make the playoffs when their college careers are over.

Do you really think if Heiskanen was American and not Finnish and had gone the college route that he wouldn't have made the Stars playoff roster in 2019? If the Canucks were good enough to make the playoffs in 2019 do you really think Quinn wouldn't have been on the roster?

Reactions: Hisch13r

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I think Hughes will probably be net better than Graves by Christmas at the absolute latest.

But I’m a known Graves hater. Sevs is harder to replace, but that’s why I want a depth RHD signing in the off-season.
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the expectations of Luke Hughes have gotten out of control and are entirely unfair to the player. Ryan Graves is a damn good top 4 NHL defenseman, and we're just assuming that a 19 year old kid is going to be as good as him within his first 40ish games??

I get that the Twitter and YouTube clips of Luke Hughes are jump off the screen and the production looks phenomenal and the fanbase hype train is going full speed. But if you're being fair to the player and you really watch his full game, there's a lot of work to do and a lot of development that still needs to happen.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There both comparable, there both elite college prospects that made the jump directly to the playoffs when there college season ended.

And the only reason why there is not more comparables is because you're talking about a very niche situation. You're talking about elite defensive prospects that are typically drafted top 10, that go the college route that are also on teams that are good enough to make the playoffs when their college careers are over.

Do you really think if Heiskanen was American and not Finnish and had gone the college route that he wouldn't have made the Stars playoff roster in 2019? If the Canucks were good enough to make the playoffs in 2019 do you really think Quinn wouldn't have been on the roster?

Yeah but playoff hockey is no longer hockey so guys like Quinn or Power from last year don't count.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the expectations of Luke Hughes have gotten out of control and are entirely unfair to the player. Ryan Graves is a damn good top 4 NHL defenseman, and we're just assuming that a 19 year old kid is going to be as good as him within his first 40ish games??

I get that the Twitter and YouTube clips of Luke Hughes are jump off the screen and the production looks phenomenal and the fanbase hype train is going full speed. But if you're being fair to the player and you really watch his full game, there's a lot of work to do and a lot of development that still needs to happen.
Graves is a adequate second pairing guy, who occasionally has absolutely terrible nights.

He’s fine, I’m happy to have him at his price but I wouldn’t pay him more. His partners carry him a bit.

Luke is not even close to a finished product, but the skating the puck skills are gonna translate from day 1, and that’s stuff Graves simply does not have.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah but playoff hockey is no longer hockey so guys like Quinn or Power from last year don't count.
Yeah, f*** it, let's let the kid who struggles to handle a cycle from the Ohio State third line get thrown into the fire against Zibanejad, Kreider and Taransenko on TNT with the season on the line. His brother played 16 minutes in front of 10,000 people against the Dallas Stars in a meaningless game straight out of college, so he'll be totally fine.

I'm not trying to shit on Luke, I think he'll be a hell of a player. But the expectations based on some limited examples are insane.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
It's crazy to me, both the Stars and Flyers who had playoff hopes put 19 year old defenseman in 1st pairing roles (Heiskanen and Provorov) but the Devils even thinking about putting Luke in a sheltered bottom pairing role at the same age over Kevin Bahl or Brendan Smith is too risky.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Ty Smith expectations are triggering my PTSD in this thread.
It's like people never learn. We all have high hopes, but let the kid breathe and develop. I don't care how many secondary assists and highlight reel goals you pile up in college, when people are automatically comparing you to Makar and McAvoy, that's almost impossible to live up to.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It's like people never learn. We all have high hopes, but let the kid breathe and develop. I don't care how many secondary assists and highlight reel goals you pile up in college, when people are automatically comparing you to Makar and McAvoy, that's almost impossible to live up to.
Nah, the hype train should be going crazy. One of the best prospects in the NHL and in the history of the franchise. Rational people are aware young defensemen will make mistakes. Brendan Smith also makes lot of mistakes.

You say he struggles against against college players, yada yada…he’s also going to be playing with a legitimate top 4 dman in a bottom pairing role. He’s going to be joining a top 5 team in the NHL.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
What teams would you say had the worst deadline?
Not sure who had the worst, but I'm hearing that the Rangers made the greatest acquisitions in the history of TDL and have built a Dream Team that other teams can only envy. If the Devils can manage to not get swept, it will be shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad