GDT: 2023 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I'm still waiting to see if Toronto managed to unload any of their 9892653 NHL defensemen on the roster before the deadline.

Or are they planning to play some of them at forward, kind of like the reverse of how they had Marner play D that time?
They dressed Gustafsson at forward last night. He registered 1 block on the statline. Really helped my fantasy playoff push NOT.

1677875881466.png

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I mean they couldn't trade JVR this offseason when they needed to clear space for Gaudreau, why would they have better luck dealing him now?

It'd have been much easier to move him now. Teams know where they stand. They needed to move him as a cap dump them. This time they had a real offer from the Wings but the Wings had to make another move to make it happen and they couldn't get it done in time.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm kind of impressed that Fitz stuck to his guns about the "no rentals" thing. I expected he would renege if the right deal came along, but I guess it didn't.

Meier is an obvious fit for our style and locker room, and is likely to be a core piece for a long time. Lazar is quality depth that allows us to control costs in the bottom 6 for future years when our top 6 commands more cap space.

Just solid moves, no panic or desperation. Great stuff.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm kind of impressed that Fitz stuck to his guns about the "no rentals" thing. I expected he would renege if the right deal came along, but I guess it didn't.

Meier is likely to be a core piece for a long time, and Lazar is quality depth that allows us to control costs in the bottom 6 for future years when our top 6 commands more cap space.

Very very happy he feels that way because rentals suck.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Its not being paranoid.

its just being logical. The fact of the matter is putting a rookie with little to no NHL experience just doesnt seem like a smart move. Sitting the guys who got you there in the first place, who put you in the position you are in.

Injuries are different of course.
Look at the amount of 18/19/20 year old Dman that have had immediate positive impacts in recent years. Sanderson, Seider, Byram, Dahlin, Quinn Hughes, Makar, Heiskanen, Girard, Sergachev, Chychrun, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski. Luke is one of the best defensive prospects in the sport if not the best, there's no reason to think he can't make a similar impact to some of these names above and be capable of playing an NHL role.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's gotta be a part of some circle jerk / old boys club. Has to be. No other way he still keeps his job. He's been in a managerial role in the NHL since what, the mid-90's? Hard to believe seeing his body of work.

Oh yeah and what a f***ing bonkers trade deadline week. Refreshing to see this many moves made. Some of the moves reminded of Paul Gaustad for a first round pick though :laugh:
His old man Cliff was a lonnggggggggg time GM for Atlanta/Calgary, Toronto and I think he was the GM briefly for the irrelevant joke team in the desert.

They also brought him back as Leafs interim GM before they hired Brian Burke. He was a GM for probably 30 straight years at one point or close to it.

I'm sure that helps his son get/keep jobs.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Makar did it and was great.

Now, Luke isn't Makar, but I think the upside is high enough to justify giving him a shot. If he's bad, we still have Smith or Bahl as a 7th in case of injury.

You guys seriously need to stop with the "Makar did it". He's a generational defenseman.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

Meier is an obvious fit for our style and locker room, and is likely to be a core piece for a long time. Lazar is quality depth that allows us to control costs in the bottom 6 for future years when our top 6 commands more cap space.

Just solid moves, no panic or desperation. Great stuff.
Yeah, Fitz's ability to think long term and make forward thinking moves is one of my favorite aspects about him as a GM (He's also seemingly a great negotiator). We saw the same thinking with the Marino trade, makes me very confident in whatever move he makes because it never feels like a rash decision.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
You guys seriously need to stop with the "Makar did it". He's a generational defenseman.

Fortunately, we still have the cap space to get Hughes signed and into games this regular season so he doesn't have to pull a Makar and go straight to the playoffs. Also gives the vets some rest before the playoff grind. Problem solved!

Reactions: NJDevs26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad