2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
big time no thank you on provorov. he's an overrated hockey player and his stated beliefs clash with a major part of columbus's cultural identity as a city.
Is he overrated as a top 2? We are talking about him in as a 3 or 4?

As for beliefs just because I don’t agree with it doesn’t mean its right or wrong. Free country believe what you want to believe as long as there is no violence.

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Is he overrated as a top 2? We are talking about him in as a 3 or 4?
on the ice he'd be alright as a #3. i'd aim a bit higher, though.
As for beliefs just because I don’t agree with it doesn’t mean its right or wrong. Free country believe what you want to believe as long as there is no violence.
i'm not saying he can't believe those things, i'm saying that the jackets, being in the columbus market, should not make the conscious choice to acquire someone who has expressed that set of beliefs. it risks alienating a large portion of the fans and creates an unnecessary distraction.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Can someone give me a current scouting take on Connor Murphy?
I get it, he's from Columbus, but that's not my interest here.

I assume every veteran in Chicago is available, but I'm not sure what it would cost to acquire him. On paper this seems like a big minute eating RD who could play on the top line with ZW until Jiricek is ready to take on that type of role. At that you point you move him down to the 2nd pair and he'd make a nice line mate for a young Mateychuk. Murphy is signed for 3 more years at $4.4m.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn’t be so sure, NHL becoming more like NBA every day with players asking for trades/refusing to sign

When’ the last time a prospect refused to sign?

Remember McDavid- Edmonton and the end result?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Can someone give me a current scouting take on Connor Murphy?
I get it, he's from Columbus, but that's not my interest here.

I assume every veteran in Chicago is available, but I'm not sure what it would cost to acquire him. On paper this seems like a big minute eating RD who could play on the top line with ZW until Jiricek is ready to take on that type of role. At that you point you move him down to the 2nd pair and he'd make a nice line mate for a young Mateychuk. Murphy is signed for 3 more years at $4.4m.
imo RHD isn't necessarily a need in terms of adding a guy, but could be an area where they look to improve upon what they already have. they have five bodies there that will be NHL-ready next year.

LD is a much bigger concern, both on the second and third pairs behind werenski.

jiricek may not be 'ready' to be a #1 RHD, but he's far more capable of handling that than peeke, has more upside and less injury concern than blankenburg, and is a better fit next to werenski than boqvist is.

in other words, i think they should look to find a partner for boqvist on the second pair before looking to find one for werenski. although my personal favorite theoretical target (weegar) is a righty who usually plays on the left, so he could fit either of those spots in theory.

that said, if they want to find a RHD to play with werenski, you'd probably need to move at least one of peeke/boqvist (if not both) and you'd still need to find a second pair LHD who could play with jiricek.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I wouldn’t be so sure, NHL becoming more like NBA every day with players asking for trades/refusing to sign
Nobody is going to refuse to play with Gaudreau and Laine as a rookie... stop with this nonsense.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
When’ the last time a prospect refused to sign?

Remember McDavid- Edmonton and the end result?
There have been tons of lesser prospects refusing to sign, there was just an Anaheim player who was traded a couple days ago who refused. CBJ have been burned in the past by Mike Reilly. You have the PLD situation. Guys are going to try to play where they want to play as soon as possible these days. I’m not saying it will happen but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Nobody is going to refuse to play with Gaudreau and Laine as a rookie... stop with this nonsense.
Not to burst your bubble, but that’s not exactly like playing with McDavid…

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
on the ice he'd be alright as a #3. i'd aim a bit higher, though.

i'm not saying he can't believe those things, i'm saying that the jackets, being in the columbus market, should not make the conscious choice to acquire someone who has expressed that set of beliefs. it risks alienating a large portion of the fans and creates an unnecessary distraction.

To Provorov. I think he is enough underrated now. But he has very good hockey vision, skill, first pass, can play hard. He just needs to be used properly.

To your values. Central and East Europe is not the US. That is all.

Reactions: MissADD

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
we're debating whether or not a guy who we have (as of right now) a 75% chance of NOT getting in the lottery will tell the jackets, after going through multiple rounds of pre-draft interviews, will blindside the jackets after being picked by saying outta nowhere that he refuses to sign?

i get that we've been burned before but we gotta let go of this inferiority complex, man.

Reactions: LJ7

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
imo RHD isn't necessarily a need in terms of adding a guy, but could be an area where they look to improve upon what they already have. they have five bodies there that will be NHL-ready next year.

LD is a much bigger concern, both on the second and third pairs behind werenski.

jiricek may not be 'ready' to be a #1 RHD, but he's far more capable of handling that than peeke, has more upside and less injury concern than blankenburg, and is a better fit next to werenski than boqvist is.

in other words, i think they should look to find a partner for boqvist on the second pair before looking to find one for werenski. although my personal favorite theoretical target (weegar) is a righty who usually plays on the left, so he could fit either of those spots in theory.

that said, if they want to find a RHD to play with werenski, you'd probably need to move at least one of peeke/boqvist (if not both) and you'd still need to find a second pair LHD who could play with jiricek.
Oh, I'd like to see them make a move for a veteran LD too. Again, I'd be looking for someone in the $3-5m range that can play good defensively and protect Jiricek a little.

I'm not sure where the Org is on Peeke, Boqvist, Bean, or Blankenburg. I wouldn't mind one of them on the roster, but we don't need all 4 on the roster, unless we're trying to suck again.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
To Provorov. I think he is enough underrated now. But he has very good hockey vision, skill, first pass, can play hard. He just needs to be used properly.

To your values. Central and East Europe is not the US. That is all.
i understand that he's a good hockey player. i don't have any expectation that pro athletes will share a particular set of values.

the difference here is that provorov has made his views publicly known when he refused to participate in hockey is for everyone night. plenty of other players share some of those views, but none of those guys refused to participate in a simple gesture of unity the way provorov did.

he's allowed to believe those things, just as i'm allowed to say i'd be furious if the jackets pursued him after the public debacle he caused – especially given that a major part of columbus's identity (and the jackets' fan base) is embracing the people who provorov wouldn't support.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Kevin Hayes? Yeah, please no. I'll take Jenner over Hayes any day of the week. IMO if they are making a move for a center, it should be a better player than Jenner (not easy to get) or a good 3C type of guy, I just don't see Hayes being a good fit in any sense of the word, I don't think he's the kind of guy they want/need. I guess if you play KJ as #1C and Jenner as #3C and slot him on the 2nd line he could be usable.

If the caphit is not a problem for the reminder of his contract, you could argue you can never have too many centers, but if you sign him with the idea you're getting an upgrade on Jenner, I think you'll be disappointed. He might do some things better, but I rate Jenner more and view Hayes as a lateral move at best.

Reactions: HHel and majormajor

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Bedard’s reaction to that wasn’t that exciting to be honest
Well, what is he supposed to say? The lottery is out of his control. Talking up the thought of joining a team looks terrible if they don't end up winning the lottery. Talking down the prospect of joining them looks terrible if they do win the lottery. He is smart enough to know what to say and what not to say.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad