2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And i don't see a prospect pool that gets them out any time soon. Even when they get Bedard
Players would sign there or force their way to Chicago but thats a hard way to build a team and comes with his own issues. Chicago is a mess, going for a scorched earth rebuild has major potential to go poorly

Reactions: majormajor

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
There have been tons of lesser prospects refusing to sign, there was just an Anaheim player who was traded a couple days ago who refused. CBJ have been burned in the past by Mike Reilly. You have the PLD situation. Guys are going to try to play where they want to play as soon as possible these days. I’m not saying it will happen but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.
There's a huge difference between a college player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them and a CHL player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them. It is not infrequent for college kids, Michigan goalie Erik Portillo just did it, Adam Fox said no to two franchises, and yes Reilly did it to us. But those kids all played three or four years of college hockey and had leverage. The NHL CBA allows college kids to become UFAs four years after they are drafted (presuming they stay in college and keep playing college hockey), CHL kids don't have that same "loophole".

CHL prospects don't have the same leverage. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe if the player refuses to sign with the team that drafted them, they simply go back into the draft a couple years later. So in your hypothetical, if CBJ draft Bedard and he refuses to sign, he could continue to play in CHL for free or jump the pond to a pro league in Europe and hope two years later he doesn't get drafted by Arizona or whoever is at the bottom at that point. Sure the CBJ might decide to trade him but he still really has no leverage on who they trade him to.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think at this point the question is "why not". Everyone close to a playoff spot is buying like a drunk sailor on leave in a brothel.

Yes, but Detroit went into sell mode. They get housed by Ottawa in a back-to-back. Their chances aren't 0 but they're way out of it.

Oh and the reward if they do get in? Getting drilled by the Bruins in Round 1 most likely.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If Calgary is forced to change things up it would be unwise to not look into Elias Lindholm
i'd be shocked if they move him, but if for some reason they started listening around the draft… i'd be all over that. weegar too. jackets in theory have the assets to get both.
There's a huge difference between a college player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them and a CHL player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them. It is not infrequent for college kids, Michigan goalie Erik Portillo just did it, Adam Fox said no to two franchises, and yes Reilly did it to us. But those kids all played three or four years of college hockey and had leverage.
yeah preemptively worrying about bedard refusing to play here is some real sad sack, loser mentality stuff.

as you said, it's mostly NCAA players. wasn't an issue with johnson, also doesn't appear that it'll be an issue with ceulemans.

besides, if he did say he wasn't gonna sign here, they'd know that in advance and could trade the pick and just end up with carlsson or fantilli + a sweetener.
CHL prospects don't have the same leverage. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe if the player refuses to sign with the team that drafted them, they simply go back into the draft a couple years later.
not only that, but the team that originally drafted them i believe gets a compensatory pick.

Reactions: majormajor

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
There's a huge difference between a college player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them and a CHL player choosing not to sign with the team that drafted them. It is not infrequent for college kids, Michigan goalie Erik Portillo just did it, Adam Fox said no to two franchises, and yes Reilly did it to us. But those kids all played three or four years of college hockey and had leverage. The NHL CBA allows college kids to become UFAs four years after they are drafted (presuming they stay in college and keep playing college hockey), CHL kids don't have that same "loophole".

CHL prospects don't have the same leverage. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe if the player refuses to sign with the team that drafted them, they simply go back into the draft a couple years later. So in your hypothetical, if CBJ draft Bedard and he refuses to sign, he could continue to play in CHL for free or jump the pond to a pro league in Europe and hope two years later he doesn't get drafted by Arizona or whoever is at the bottom at that point. Sure the CBJ might decide to trade him but he still really has no leverage on who they trade him to.
Good points. I guess an option for a CHL player would be to put the word out through their agent to certain teams not to draft them, that they don’t want to go there and will leave at the first opportunity/pout if they get picked. That is more the NBA route lately and I could see top picks who don’t have much leverage pulling a PLD.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
we're gonna have like $15m of cap space going into next year and that's before considering potential roslovic (+$4m) or peeke (+$2.75m) trades. they can easily fit kevin hayes into the picture.

also, if we end up with bedard, hayes' deal will come off the books the same summer that bedard's ELC expires.

i'm all for it.

You can't think of anything we might need $7.1m in cap for over the next three years?

When the Flyers hired Torts, the Flyers board called it right away, they said that Torts and Hayes would clash. Why do you think that is?

As far as I can tell, he has a hard time keeping up. If he gets any slower he'll be unusable.

I’m certainly not taking Hayes at full price. The flyers have to eat some of that money and attach a pick on it. I doubt that’s what will happen, but we appear to be at desperate times for a center.

This also kind of implies to me that we’re not confident in Texier returning to us. Not that most of us here weren’t expecting that anyway.

Center options we have for next year (on our current team right now): Jenner, Sillinger, Roslovic, Johnson, Kuraly

You have to improve that. Even Connor Bedard (who we’re not going to get) doesn’t save that center group. Need at least two guys into that mix to help out.

I think D is a bigger problem actually. I really like KJ at center and he could be ready for big minutes there if he has a good summer in the gym. Jenner is not a problem at center, he's been effective, and we have no need to put him in the bottom six or at wing, he's a scoring center that fits well with Johnny. Beyond that we have a lot of young talent that might be more than ready to take a 3C job. Sillinger might take a step, Texier might be back, Voronkov looks great lately. We also have a decent chance of drafting one of Fantilli or Carlsson. Altogether, our chances of having three good centers next year are good.

That's not to say that an actual veteran 1C wouldn't be a big lift for this group, but Hayes isn't that, it's about the same with him, with an ugly contract.

if i had to rank the candidates in my head for that TBD 1C spot:

1. hertl (extremely high acquisition cost, but cbj could pull it off)
2. kuznetsov (same age as hayes, better player, less likely)
3. schmaltz (young, term, lower aav, right handed)
4. hayes (low acquisition cost, good production)
5. reinhart (rental, unlikely to move since fla gains a lot of cap this summer)
6. schenn (older + way more term than hayes)
7. miller (bad contract, better as a winger, but really productive)
8. duchene (older, higher aav, same term, not a center)
9. couture (still very good, but three years older than hayes + more term/higher aav)
10. johansen (more expensive, coming off injury)
11. roslovic (please do not make me watch him any more)

Schmaltz is a much better scorer with a lower cap hit. Could probably be had for a late 1st, maybe that plus a 2nd. If you were going to get a center (I'm not as desperate) I'd say that modest cost is worth paying to get the better player without the risk of holding the bag on a 33 year old with a bad contract.

Reinhart might actually be in play. The Panthers need to free up some cap to fix other problems. He's also better than Hayes, though I wouldn't pay a lot for him.

The only other option I'd give more consideration to is Hertl. But he's showing some age already and I don't think we want that contract long term.

imo RHD isn't necessarily a need in terms of adding a guy, but could be an area where they look to improve upon what they already have. they have five bodies there that will be NHL-ready next year.

LD is a much bigger concern, both on the second and third pairs behind werenski.

jiricek may not be 'ready' to be a #1 RHD, but he's far more capable of handling that than peeke, has more upside and less injury concern than blankenburg, and is a better fit next to werenski than boqvist is.

in other words, i think they should look to find a partner for boqvist on the second pair before looking to find one for werenski. although my personal favorite theoretical target (weegar) is a righty who usually plays on the left, so he could fit either of those spots in theory.

that said, if they want to find a RHD to play with werenski, you'd probably need to move at least one of peeke/boqvist (if not both) and you'd still need to find a second pair LHD who could play with jiricek.

This might not be popular, but I think the best play at RD might be to just run with our collection of young RD and see who steps up. Between Jiricek, Boqvist, Peeke, and Blankenburg, we might see someone step up and click with Werenski. I expect Jiricek will need another year before he's ready for those minutes. But because of Jiricek I don't see a long term vacancy there.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Players would sign there or force their way to Chicago but thats a hard way to build a team and comes with his own issues. Chicago is a mess, going for a scorched earth rebuild has major potential to go poorly
Sure, a few might but that team and prospect pool (overall, I know they have a few good ones) is trash. There won't be sweetheart deals to play for the Craphawks because all players still want to be paid. I completely agree the scorched earth path is a tough way to go, regardless of city. MIght help a little that it's Chi town but overall, this is going to take them a while.

Feels like a summer move to me or next deadline. Guess we'll have to see.

Summer... he's gone. I suspect he's a draft day move. if not, as soon as the new season calendar starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad