2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Not really a Trade Deadline issue but the more I read and watch, the more I'd love to see CBJ use assets on Shane Pinto in Ottawa. Size, shoots the puck, 22 years old and I've seen a couple mixed things on his skating but most seem to think he's powerful, fast and just maybe not that agile. Good skater, not great. Ottawa is flush with young centers so that's an area I look for CBJ to explore regardless of draft position (meaning if we take a center in the 1st round this year - or two of them :))

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
By my count, the Blue Jackets completed the only trades involving goalies who played in multiple NHL games this season.

Keith Kinkaid was moved and he played one game for Boston this season.

That's...it?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i understand that he's a good hockey player. i don't have any expectation that pro athletes will share a particular set of values.

the difference here is that provorov has made his views publicly known when he refused to participate in hockey is for everyone night. plenty of other players share some of those views, but none of those guys refused to participate in a simple gesture of unity the way provorov did.

he's allowed to believe those things, just as i'm allowed to say i'd be furious if the jackets pursued him after the public debacle he caused – especially given that a major part of columbus's identity (and the jackets' fan base) is embracing the people who provorov wouldn't support.
So then why was it the rainbow jersey that was associated with LGBT? So, let's not discuss this further, the moderator would have deleted it anyway. Let's talk about hockey instead. You're doing great on this topic, I love reading you. :thumbu:

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You can't think of anything we might need $7.1m in cap for over the next three years?
…yes, a veteran #2 center.

hayes is a flawed player, but he can competently play center on a top six line and produce points. he fits a massive positional need and also adds an actual veteran to the roster that is sorely needed.

i have no issue with wanting a better player to fill that need – maybe that's schmaltz – but my point is that there isn't a better player available unless you really believe in jt miller and are willing to take on that contract.

we're in agreement re: hertl and schmaltz being better players, but i don't think hertl is a viable option (sjs not listening to offers). i do like schmaltz a lot, but imo the LAK first is probably better used to get a defenseman, and hayes could probably be had for roslovic + a 3rd or something.

reinhart's also great, but florida has $12m of cap relief coming up (hornqvist, gudas, $4m buyout reduction on yandle) so i don't think they'll move him – even if they do, he'd be a pending UFA, and this team isn't in a great position to add rentals.

When the Flyers hired Torts, the Flyers board called it right away, they said that Torts and Hayes would clash. Why do you think that is?
laine also clashed with torts, and has been very productive since torts left (and his 5v5 advanced metrics have all improved significantly).

not every player meshes with torts. hayes could thrive here. if torts was still the cbj coach i'd agree with you.
I think D is a bigger problem actually.
agreed – which is why i'd probably prioritize that when trading the LAK pick. but they're still both needs and they have enough cap to address both.
I really like KJ at center and he could be ready for big minutes there if he has a good summer in the gym. Jenner is not a problem at center, he's been effective, and we have no need to put him in the bottom six or at wing, he's a scoring center that fits well with Johnny.
i also agree with a lot of this, i really liked KJ at center and i think boone's been good there this year, but ideally one of those guys is your #2 and you have a de facto #1 above them.

not only does it make a stronger lineup imo, but because without adding another veteran center, your whole season could be over if boone jenner gets hurt again – which happens a LOT!

i'm also a big sillinger believer but i think having a medium-term stopgap 1C who can eventually be a 3C for them would provide him a more clear path to hitting his ceiling (which is imo a sam bennett or nazem kadri type 2C).

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Unsurprisingly the actual deadline day was boring. In fact, unless some trade still trickles in, more boring than I expected with almost no big name being moved except Klingberg and that's arguable too. But I think I'll still take this couple of weeks over the usual deadline day only flurry.

I'll give Jarmo a B+ as well. I agree with some folks that Korpi could've fetched a bit more on his own and the Nyquist trade was kinda forced by the league, so I think they did a good job overall and I'm happy with how this all went down in the end after all the drama.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Just noting it sounds like we could have spent less than $300k in actual cash to help make this happen and probably gotten a 4th round pick for doing so.

"weaponizing cap space"

Unsurprisingly the actual deadline day was boring. In fact, unless some trade still trickles in, more boring than I expected with almost no big name being moved except Klingberg and that's arguable too. But I think I'll still take this couple of weeks over the usual deadline day only flurry.

I'll give Jarmo a B+ as well. I agree with some folks that Korpi could've fetched a bit more on his own and the Nyquist trade was kinda forced by the league, so I think they did a good job overall and I'm happy with how this all went down in the end after all the drama.

I noted above -> the goalie market never materialized. So even though there were historical comps, there just weren't any buyers this season.

Colorado got Kinkaid as their 3rd.
L.A. picked up Korpisalo to be a backup.
Vegas got Quick.

That was it.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Quiet final deadline day as expected, but weird to me for what didn't happen.

-JVR almost traded, but not
-Leafs & Dubas didn't go scorched Earth -> they have Boston's '23 1st and their own '24 1st
-Joel Edmunson not dealt
-Kraken...didn't sell or buy
-Canes didn't add a big piece
-Vancouver held onto Boeser, Miller, etc.
-Ducks (clearly) waited too long and had almost no market for their pending UFAs

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

-Leafs & Dubas didn't go scorched Earth -> they have Boston's '23 1st and their own '24 1st
-Joel Edmunson not dealt
-Ducks (clearly) waited too long and had almost no market for their pending UFAs
I am really surprised McDavid was not moved

Reactions: CBJx614

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
you know i Cant say fOr sure which pLayErS jarmo Is taLking about. given the unfortunate Luck IN reGard to injuriEs, a lot of the youngsteRs really impressed me.
i mean aside from sillinger (who i think should get some benefit of the doubt given that he's the second youngest player in the league, behind the guy who was just the #1 pick).

…other than him, the three names that most immediately come to mind in terms of not meeting/exceeding expectations this year: elvis, peeke, roslovic. all three guys took big steps backward.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

-Joel Edmunson not dealt

To me it is weirder when bad players or players with bad contracts get moved, like Klingberg. It should be hard to find a taker for players like that, or Boeser or Miller or JVR.

The Kraken have great depth already, they could use a top end upgrade but have no use for any of the lesser pieces they were rumored to be after. Those rumors looked like obvious bull.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
i mean aside from sillinger (who i think should get some benefit of the doubt given that he's the second youngest player in the league, behind the guy who was just the #1 pick).

…other than him, the three names that most immediately come to mind in terms of not meeting/exceeding expectations this year: elvis, peeke, roslovic. all three guys took big steps backward.
I disagree. Especially with Peeke because
A) the defense core was so decimated, that the fact that he's just playing is amazing. Also messing with chemistry
B) I don't think he progressed at all though. He held pat, IMO, still not good, but not a regression. That could be down to him not doing something properly or that's new defensive system being doggie doo.

In regards to Roslovic and Elvis, I think they played like the players they are. Roslovic is an extremely streaky player who has valleys as low as the Marianas Trench, and peaks is high as Mount McKinley.

Elvis in my opinion has always been a high risk high reward goalie. Because of the way he plays he needs a solid defense in front of him. It's no coincidence his best run of form came in his rookie year from the start of 2020 until the season stopped, when the defense was playing well under Torts. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I would like to see Elvis playing with a solid defense in front of him again.

Reactions: majormajor

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Aside from the 1st round pick, albeit a late one, the real gain was clearing Jake’s salary.

Yeah it was an unfortunate situation with both Nyquist and Voracek injured, so just a simple X in and an X out list like that looks bad on paper, and their injuries truly cost us a lot. Nyquist’s injury probably cost us the pick sliding 2-3 rounds down. But to clear Jake’s contract that would set us back $8.25 next year for essentially nothing, and get a 1st, 3rd, 7th and backup goalie for rest of season from Gavy and Korpi, I think it was a solid deadline.

Looking forward to see what comes from the cap space and picks.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Korpi hasn't played well in past seasons (no one cares why). Also one was injured and is UFA after the season. So the price is adequate.

LAK knew Gavrikov might want to go out on the free agent market and yet we got a first rounder on the condition of not signing but advancing to the PO.

We got rid of Voracek's contract - $8,250,000.

As such, it is more profitable to trade players in the summer when teams have an idea of the salary cap. That's where we have an advantage.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Just noting it sounds like we could have spent less than $300k in actual cash to help make this happen and probably gotten a 4th round pick for doing so.

"weaponizing cap space"

I noted above -> the goalie market never materialized. So even though there were historical comps, there just weren't any buyers this season.

Colorado got Kinkaid as their 3rd.
L.A. picked up Korpisalo to be a backup.
Vegas got Quick.

That was it.
I just don't buy that spending $300K for a 4th round pick is worth much, especially for a small market team. I don't see the return on investment - using a 4th round pick to draft a player is as likely to find a good NHL player as me skating on the backyard pond at age 62 - as in NOT.
A 4th round pick as trade fodder isn't going to fetch the kind of player we want to get when we weaponize said cap space. Jarmo's got cap space now to use, why hamstring even $300K (we saw how close the numbers get when Bjorkstrand left).
If paying $300K for a 4th round pick was a great move, then why did every other team in the NHL with space pass on that deal?

Reactions: majormajor

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
In addition the clearing Voracek's cap hit off the books, I think we can also appreciate that Jarmo made our life easier in the offseason - we don't have to speculate whether or not he'd be able to return. Makes for more fun trade suggestions in the summer. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00