2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Especially when Jarmo said today we can't keep drafting and waiting...so sounds like we aren't really looking for picks
That tells me Jarmo thinks he has most the pieces in place (minus the 2023 1st, but I am almost positive he is including that.)

I don't get not wanting more picks. IMO picks are more tradable because of the magic bean aspect. When trading a player, the other team also needs to want a player on your roster, where as a pick because of the magic bean aspect, a team will be willing to take it because they will almost find someone they value at that slot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
That tells me Jarmo thinks he has most the pieces in place (minus the 2023 1st, but I am almost positive he is including that.)

I don't get not wanting more picks. IMO picks are more tradable because of the magic bean aspect. When trading a player, the other team also needs to want a player on your roster, where as a pick because of the magic bean aspect, a team will be willing to take it because they will almost find someone they value at that slot.
I think at the end of the day he wants players to help this team win and not picks. I doubt he cares if he has to make moves like the Gavrikov/Korpi deal and gets a 1st and then flips that. Probably just means hes tired of the draft being as important as it has been recently and wants to take the next step

Reactions: CBJx614 and Fro

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Blue Jackets did what they needed to do. But they didn’t do everything they wanted to do, which is why Kekalainen will head into the offseason — mercifully there are only 20 games remaining after Friday — with major projects on his punch list.

If Kekalainen had his ideal trade deadline, the Blue Jackets would have acquired top-pair defenseman Jakob Chychrun in a trade with Arizona. But Kekalainen’s attempts to land Chychrun fell short on Wednesday, when Chychrun was traded to Ottawa.

Kekalainen wouldn’t go into much detail on Friday — all GMs hold their cards close, especially Kekalainen — but his participation in the Chychrun sweepstakes is validation that he knows his blue line needs significant help.

“We’ve got a lot of work left to do in the offseason, and right now the opportunities are not there because 20 teams are trying to load up (for the playoffs) and they’re not willing to give up anything,” Kekalainen said.

“Those opportunities will come in the offseason, when there’ll be 31 disappointed teams.”

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I get the feeling if the 1st we acquired was an actual first (and not conditional) that we would have gotten Chychrun.
Again I still feel like we need 2 dmen that can play in top 4 and a 1C and a big HOPE that one of the goalies has a good season next year. I don't see us upgrading C, I think Jarmo likes both of them (and Elvis would be really tough to trade) and I don't see a real solution to 1C unless we win the lottery. I do feel like (trades. free agency) that we can add a couple peices on the blue line.

Reactions: 5th Line Fanatic

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I get the feeling if the 1st we acquired was an actual first (and not conditional) that we would have gotten Chychrun.
Again I still feel like we need 2 dmen that can play in top 4 and a 1C and a big HOPE that one of the goalies has a good season next year. I don't see us upgrading C, I think Jarmo likes both of them (and Elvis would be really tough to trade) and I don't see a real solution to 1C unless we win the lottery. I do feel like (trades. free agency) that we can add a couple peices on the blue line.
I agree with this. Assuming we can't make a blockbuster trade for a superstar like Eric Karlsson, I'd like to see us add a "defense first" RD to play on the top pairing and the same type of LD to play on the 2nd pairing. I'd like to see these two combine for about $10m per year over the next 3-4 years. That gives us maximum flexibility to let our young D prospects grow into their roles.

I am 100% convinced our savior at Center is not coming in this draft because we are going to draft 5th or later. At that point I could see Jarmo getting very aggressive in the trade market. I think he will feel major pressure to go get a C, because in my mind he'll think we won't be drafting this high again while he is under contract. Once our draft position becomes known, I think Jarmo will trade it in a package to acquire that #1 C.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Especially when Jarmo said today we can't keep drafting and waiting...so sounds like we aren't really looking for picks

In my best Gorilla Monsoon voice:

"In the ultimate grudge match who will come out on top, Jarmo "we're done waiting" Kekalainen versus John "brick by brick" Davidson?!?"

Jarmo is correct though, at some point there needs to be a switch from drafting top6 forwards and top4 dmen to drafting the guys that will be cheap ELC bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen while the stars are eating most of the salary cap and if needed using prospects and picks as trade assets to fill roster holes. That doesn't mean going all-in right away but all waiting around for a few more seasons is going to do is burn through cheap contract years.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Listening to 32T podcast

Friedman says this regarding Kevin Hayes: I look at Columbus. Who are two of his closest friends? Johnny Gaudreau and Rick Nash. I look at this as an offseason or at the draft type of deal.

Marek: I do know there were talks between Columbus and Philadelphia yesterday, but they were described to me as "very soft" discussions. But there were conversations between the two sides. So it would not surprise me either if this were to happen around the draft.

Friedman: I do know Carolina was in on Hayes too. But I kept hearing Columbus will be all over this. They are going to be very aggressive for a veteran center this offseason and I know there are people in that organization who are very high on Kevin Hayes.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Listening to 32T podcast

Friedman says this regarding Kevin Hayes: I look at Columbus. Who are two of his closest friends? Johnny Gaudreau and Rick Nash. I look at this as an offseason or at the draft type of deal.

Marek: I do know there were talks between Columbus and Philadelphia yesterday, but they were described to me as "very soft" discussions. But there were conversations between the two sides. So it would not surprise me either if this were to happen around the draft.

Friedman: I do know Carolina was in on Hayes too. But I kept hearing Columbus will be all over this. They are going to be very aggressive for a veteran center this offseason and I know there are people in that organization who are very high on Kevin Hayes.
What about Elias Lindholm? There are rumors he is may be shopped in the off-season. Along with a few other Flames?

I think is was Chris Johnston, who said there were talks between Carolina and Calgary.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Listening to 32T podcast

I'll be so disappointed if the Voracek cap is used on 7m Hayes. The fix at center is not getting another middle 6 C

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
What about Elias Lindholm? There are rumors he is may be shopped in the off-season. Along with a few other Flames?

I think is was Chris Johnston, who said there were talks between Carolina and Calgary.
I'd move heaven and earth to get Lindholm if he was available.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I also think we should circle on Gavy again, if he doesn’t sign with the Kings.

It will cost more to acquire a top 4 D, then bring back a locker room guy and sound defensive guy.

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'd move heaven and earth to get Lindholm if he was available.

Same here -- as long as he'd do a sign and trade. Solves a top 6 center issue and of course comes with instant Gaudreau chemistry.

I think Hayes will come cheaper via trade and contract though and I wouldn't mind him either depending on how the draft lottery falls.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Same here -- as long as he'd do a sign and trade. Solves a top 6 center issue and of course comes with instant Gaudreau chemistry.

I think Hayes will come cheaper via trade and contract though and I wouldn't mind him either depending on how the draft lottery falls.
Yeah, I'd want him locked up long term.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Especially if this is a top3 pick Jarmo should think they have drafted their new core.

Why and who should they sell for assets?
Rebuilds shouldn’t last forever, no point trying to turn this into Buffalo/Detroit/Edmonton forever type rebuild.

You are looking at 7 1st rounders in 3 year window and have some hidden gems from later rounds.
+ Laine/Gaudreau/Werenski.

Time to step 2 in rebuild.
Start winning games

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That would be pretty ideal.

Calgary is in a abysmal spot.
They created a 2 year window and they are looking to miss the playoffs in the 1st one

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Big yikes in regards to Hayes, would be a horrible waste, even if Philly retains 50%. I've voiced my displeasure at bringing Ryjo back and I'd much rather have him than Hayes.

I am still on the RyJo train. Best of the bad options if we want to bring in a center

To CBJ: Johansen, Jet’s 2024 2nd round pick, Preds 2025 2nd round pick

To Nashville: Roslovic, Bemstrom

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I want absolutely no part in RyJo. Are there any under utilized or buried guys around the league?! Guys stuck on 2nd/3rd who could use a chance to get a real shot to be the guy?!

Wouldn't hate Hayes depending on if we get Bedard. Would give us some much needed depth down the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro and I3LI3

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Mercer from NJ has been projected as a top 6 center but clearly not going to be that in NJ. Playing wing mostly, I believe, but if true, would be an option.

I'm also big on a push for Pinto. Stutzle and Norris should be their top 2 centers but rumblings one may move to wing? Doesn't make sense to me

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, I'd want him locked up long term.
A somewhat complicating factor is that he isn't a pending UFA till the following season. So either he extends with Calgary on July 1before a trade or he'd have to agree to extension with the CBJ prior to the trade, Without Gaudreau & Tkachuk on his line he hasn't been as good but would be an upgrade over what we have prior to the draft.
Backlund in same situation but at 33 sould be had for maybe a 3 year extension. He has almost identical stats this year as Lindholm but is a plus 19 vs Lindholm's even

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Mercer from NJ has been projected as a top 6 center but clearly not going to be that in NJ. Playing wing mostly, I believe, but if true, would be an option.

I'm also big on a push for Pinto. Stutzle and Norris should be their top 2 centers but rumblings one may move to wing? Doesn't make sense to me

I’ve looked at both options. I don’t think we could get either guy. One obvious thing - I don’t think up and coming Eastern Conference teams would want to make any trades to allow a hopefully up and coming Eastern Conference team to get better.

New Jersey fans say Mercer is a better wing than center and they aren’t giving him up. The one guy on Jersey we could target is Ryan Graves who is a UFA left D. They have a lot of young promising left D (Hughes, Siegenthaler, Bahl) so they might not want to sign him for what we would be willing to pay.

Who knows what Ottawa will do going forward. Ottawa historically would keep Pinto until he is ready to make big money. He is still under team control so I don’t see them being willing to part with him yet. Maybe they offer him a 3 year bridge and then trade him in 2026. I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad