Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Step 1: draft at #37

Step 2: wait for July 1st and sign OEL to a 1M deal. I'm sure he wants to win.
Step 3: Sign Toews to a 1M deal.
Step 4: wait till Wheeler is bought out.
Step 5: sign Wheeler to a 1.5M contract (he wants to win the Cup, won't be toxic in an already well established locker room with many leaders.)
Step 6: re-sign Jeannot
???
Step 7 : win a cup and wait for the big salary cap increase next season

Ez game gg well played
If this happened, I would stop posting here and possibly not watch the Bolts for the season.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Step 1: draft at #37

Step 2: wait for July 1st and sign OEL to a 1M deal. I'm sure he wants to win.
Step 3: Sign Toews to a 1M deal.
Step 4: wait till Wheeler is bought out.
Step 5: sign Wheeler to a 1.5M contract (he wants to win the Cup, won't be toxic in an already well established locker room with many leaders.)
Step 6: re-sign Jeannot
???
Step 7 : win a cup and wait for the big salary cap increase next season

Ez game gg well played
I would do the opposite of everything you've suggested.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
He’s not choosing Jeannot over Killorn or Colton. Geez. Context, man!
Actually, he most certainly is. He paid the horrid price for Jeannot knowing full well the cap situation this offseason. Without Jeannot, there would be an extra million+ to allocate to either Killorn or Colton now, while sacrificing at a bottom 6 wing position. As soon as he made the Jeannot trade, he further hamstrung the team knowing they couldn't not keep Jeannit without being a laughing stock, so there went more cap, needed to keep Jeannot. Having one of Killorn or Colton and a ~1 million additional bottom 6 winger and bottom pairing LD vs having Jeannot and maybe two additional 1.5 million bottom 6 players/one and a LD making similar, no thanks.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If this happened, I would stop posting here and possibly not watch the Bolts for the season.
I would watch this would be amazing moves or dumpster fire movies.

Actually, he most certainly is. He paid the horrid price for Jeannot knowing full well the cap situation this offseason. Without Jeannot, there would be an extra million+ to allocate to either Killorn or Colton now, while sacrificing at a bottom 6 wing position. As soon as he made the Jeannot trade, he further hamstrung the team knowing they couldn't not keep Jeannit without being a laughing stock, so there went more cap, needed to keep Jeannot. Having one of Killorn or Colton and a ~1 million additional bottom 6 winger and bottom pairing LD vs having Jeannot and maybe two additional 1.5 million bottom 6 players/one and a LD making similar, no thanks.
Too bad we couldn't have traded Jeannot with Colton back to nashville with our 7th and RJ retained 50%,

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I agree with most of this. The exception is assuming Koepke as a bottom forward. Unless he has an amazing camp, the only thing his play in Syracuse last season earned him was another year in the AHL to round out his game or look for a new home in 24-25. He and Balcers arrived in Syracuse with a lot of hype and hope, only to see both of those fail to materialize. A handful of shifts each game playing to expectations does not earn one a return ticekt to the NHL, and that is the play we saw from both of them last season.
I hope they, and other players from the Crunch roster last season, prove me wrong and have strong camps to earn spots with the Lightning. I also hope that those who do not make the final cut and are sent to Syracuse treat it as a challenge to prove they are indeed worthy of an NHL roster spot and not treat it as a form of punishment they do not feel they deserve and play accordingly.
Don't forget the european signings, i'm guessing those guys aren't coming over here with dreams of playing in Siberacuse.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Don't forget the european signings, i'm guessing those guys aren't coming over here with dreams of playing in Siberacuse.
With only a few exceptions, the players coming over from Europe actually have not/do not mind playing in Syracuse. Not sure if the proximity of the Oncenter to Armory Square and Syracuse University has anything to do with that or not or if they are just enjoying the wonderful Central New York weather and culture.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
With only a few exceptions, the players coming over from Europe actually have not/do not mind playing in Syracuse. Not sure if the proximity of the Oncenter to Armory Square and Syracuse University has anything to do with that or not or if they are just enjoying the wonderful Central New York weather and culture.
Its more being within range of NYC, Marthas Vineyard, etc, but yeah. Bunch of younger guys with money tend to enjoy the night life, surprise surprise. Don't be shocked to see someone like Lilleberg get a shot at the big club though, he is 23 and they have a defensive need and hes a good low risk high reward option.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I would do the opposite of everything you've suggested.
You aiming for another early playoff exit?

Don't want anything to do with Wheeler specially, he's awful
He's a good player, character is important too but if that's the worry sign him to a league minimum contract. If he doesn't behave, he goes on waivers.

Reality is, we got so little cap space that IMO we gotta try and take a chance on some of those guys in order to complete our roster and strengthen it compared to this past season. Otherwise we won't be able to ice a team that can go all the way for Lord Stanley once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outl4w

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would you all rather:

1) Spend more on D and skim on F
2) Spend more on F and skim on D
3) Spread around evenly
Seems like we are top heavy at both right now. I like taking a gamble on OEL because I think he comes in motivated. Wondering if there's a forward out there in a similar position.

I think I would lean toward spending on D, it's easier to play 9 or 10 forwards in big moments than it is to play 4 D.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fair enough. I'd be okay with taking a flier on OEL but **** Toews and Wheeler.
Depends on the price on Toews. We have to realize, our prospect pool is really bad right now. If we bring Toews in at 1m, which I doubt happens, worst case he sits for somebody else. It's a million.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Fair enough. I'd be okay with taking a flier on OEL but **** Toews and Wheeler.

I'm not keen on OEL but share your sentiment. Toews is washed and the words "most toxic locker room I've ever seen" were used in Wheeler's tenure. f*** that guy. Might as well see what Kunitz and Morrow are up to for gud pro leadership. Hell I bet Ryan Callahan could pull a minute on a PK at least

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Depends on the price on Toews. We have to realize, our prospect pool is really bad right now. If we bring Toews in at 1m, which I doubt happens, worst case he sits for somebody else. It's a million.
Is toews even healthy?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

We gotta upgrade from the school bus, not change its tires with more of the same

Reactions: Hoek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad