Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just don't see our defense being able to babysit OEL enough for him to not be a liability. And we don't need him on the power play either, so what would we be getting from him?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I just don't see our defense being able to babysit OEL enough for him to not be a liability. And we don't need him on the power play either, so what would we be getting from him?

A lot more shots on Vasi so he gets warmed up for the playoffs this time.

Moving Bogo to get OEL? What a terrible idea, what's worse is someone thinking it's an "upgrade". Bogo isn't an all star but he's good for what he is, he plays 15mins a night, doesn't bleed goals or shots against, he hits, he blocks, solid depth defenseman.

Our right side without Bogosian next year is, Cernak, Perbix and Raddysh. If Vancouver thought they had it bad with OEL-Myers wait till we're rolling OEL-Raddysh mid season for 15mins a game. I hope he goes to Florida or something and we can feast on him during those games.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I don’t get it either, we're still going to need a 7th defenseman even after signing an LHD. Surely they don't see Myers jumping back up next season?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah I don’t get it either, we're still going to need a 7th defenseman even after signing an LHD. Surely they don't see Myers jumping back up next season?

Myers can't play at the NHL level. Like at all. Period. If he's in the plans then the Lightning are just beyond screwed. I can't imagine any competent lineup where Myers plays. The only immediate solution I can come up with is probably the most pointless thing imaginable: trading Sergachev for an absolute haul that includes a franchise LHD who is currently on a cheaper deal. And then we'd then sign him to a similar to extension anyway. It would be a move for the sake of a move and it's only because Serge would yield the biggest return. Like I was in favor of that and trading Killorn in summer 2021 and possibly McDonagh too so we'd have cap space today in 2023 with some draft picks and prospects (probably Sergachev's replacement) in tow right here right now at the cost of the threepeat and a chance at a Cup today in 2023 but it's not gonna happen now.

The Lightning have a long summer of doing absolutely nothing ahead of them because they don't have cap space, they don't have draft picks and they don't have prospects. This sucks

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Myers can't play at the NHL level. Like at all. Period. If he's in the plans then the Lightning are just beyond screwed. I can't imagine any competent lineup where Myers plays. The only immediate solution I can come up with is probably the most pointless thing imaginable: trading Sergachev for an absolute haul that includes a franchise LHD who is currently on a cheaper deal. And then we'd then sign him to a similar to extension anyway. It would be a move for the sake of a move and it's only because Serge would yield the biggest return. Like I was in favor of that and trading Killorn in summer 2021 and possibly McDonagh too so we'd have cap space today in 2023 with some draft picks and prospects (probably Sergachev's replacement) in tow right here right now at the cost of the threepeat and a chance at a Cup today in 2023 but it's not gonna happen now.

The Lightning have a long summer of doing absolutely nothing ahead of them because they don't have cap space, they don't have draft picks and they don't have prospects. This sucks
We’re doomed

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We’re doomed

It's not actually that bad. It's the not being able to do much that sucks. We simply need to rebuild the 4th line and possibly replace a top 6 winger in Killorn if he leaves. It sucks but it's not impossible. I have only ever suggested Drouin and Gusev because both will cost literally nothing while one is keenly familiar with the best players on our team while the other is BBFL's with Kucherov and is still perhaps one of the best players in the world not playing in the NHL.

This is of course (perhaps) my worst idea yet but it's to demonstrate the kind of plan the Lightning can use going into the season.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
He made $1.35m last season, fwiw.

His QO is the exact same (according to CapFriendly), so he didn't require a raise.
haha i didnt scroll down far enough, still i think thats in our budget. unfortunately he is a left handed defenseman, but perhaps he could fill in cole's shoes by passing to the other team in the playoffs and taking ill-advised penalties

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
haha i didnt scroll down far enough, still i think thats in our budget. unfortunately he is a left handed defenseman, but perhaps he could fill in cole's shoes by passing to the other team in the playoffs and taking ill-advised penalties
I like to have players who can play up-and-down the lineup. We could go after a Caleb Jones or Ethan Bear (if he's not qualified), but can they really play top four? In a pinch, could they play with Hedman?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Figures we would look at OEL. Very similar to the Shattenkirk situation. Getting a guy motivated to hit one more big contract, if it happens.

Reactions: Zwui21

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
He and Carlisle should. Or at least get long looks. Both play a pretty complete game.
While Carlisle had a good rookie regular season, he seemed to falter late and was not the same player in the playoffs. He is the leading candidate on defense for a promotion, but really needs another year in Syracuse for conditioning and getting used to playing against the bigger, more skilled players, just as Finley does.
Finley is a potential sleeper as a third or fourth line center who can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and be a big body against opponents. Behind Dumont, he was the go to player for important faceoffs, a role he thrived in while Dumont was out of the lineup. When they were together, his line with Element and Walcott was the most effective line for Syracuse in all situations. Problem was, the previous coaching staff seemingly did not like them playing together, and they were separated except when the team needed a jumpstart due to lackluster effort on the ice. This led to many headscratching moments for Crunch fans, as they were good enough to play effectively against opponents top lines yet not good to keep together throughout the season.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So our top 6 is

Hagel - Point - Kuch
Stamkos - Cirelli - Paul????

We're gonna need an elite 3rd line I think cause right now we're just a 1 line team like Boston has been for so long.

That said, I'm excited to see our D core next year and giving Raddysh and Perbix a full 82 to gel. Just need a shutdown LD for Cernak to pair with. Imagine we still had (could afford) McD?!?

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Welp, I guess I was warned about the general vibe of this board. :rolly:

As for this trade, a high 2nd is a nice return if you are willing to accept that the organization saw Colton as no more than a third line wing who became too expensive for that role.

JBB has earned some patience and faith, no? I dunno, maybe it’d be wise to complain about the roster when he’s, um, finished putting it together? Just me? Ok!

So now what? Well, we’ve got a prime asset to play with. We can trade down for another asset and still draft a nice prospect. We’re no longer on the sidelines. As for free agency, JBB has no choice but to low-ball Killorn and see just how much he wants to stay. So if Killer walks, you can expect that JBB has a list of free agents and trade targets who would fill Killorn’s spot for the same amount JBB is willing to commit.

In my view, that is the only major move/issue of this offseason. The rest are small potatoes (bottom six, bottom pair), and because of the market, will be minimum deals.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So our top 6 is

Hagel - Point - Kuch
Stamkos - Cirelli - Paul????

We're gonna need an elite 3rd line I think cause right now we're just a 1 line team like Boston has been for so long.

That said, I'm excited to see our D core next year and giving Raddysh and Perbix a full 82 to gel. Just need a shutdown LD for Cernak to pair with. Imagine we still had (could afford) McD?!?
Problem is there is no real good Centre options out there, and it will be easier to try to fill 3rd line wingers with this UFA pool. Jeannot most likely is going to start Top-6 at least. If he stays there all year, that's a different story.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
essymont put up 5 goals last year (between three teams) in ~50 games. he's going to be your colton replacement. jeannot will replace perry. and we need someone that can replace killer, basically.

tall order from our pipeline, but maybe we can sign some FAs that others have given up on.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Team must have a lot of confidence in Raddysh and Perbix if they are shopping Bogo. Swapping him out for OEL would certainly give us more offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad