Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread II: We're all gonna die edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can someone tell Raddysh he's allowed to change his "You're not making the team" number? At least #48 is not terribly uncommon in the case of Perbix

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'd think we claim one of these goalies from waivers. Would be a pretty big gamble to go into the season with goalies who have combined 35 NHL games under their belt. Johansson will get the first chance as he's earned it but Tomkins has barely played in the AHL and his numbers aren't all that impressive in any league he's played in his career.
I’d be shocked if Tampa didn’t put a claim in to grab Martin Jones to back up JO JO makes too much sense

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I’d be shocked if Tampa didn’t put a claim in to grab Martin Jones to back up JO JO makes too much sense
My concern is about how that will play out long term. Martin Jones hasn't been in the AHL in 10 years. He played 48 NHL games last season.

At least with someone like Subban or Prosvetov, you can send them to the Crunch or Chicago Wolves or wherever and leave them.

First world problems, I suppose.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
My concern is about how that will play out long term. Martin Jones hasn't been in the AHL in 10 years. He played 48 NHL games last season.

At least with someone like Subban or Prosvetov, you can send them to the Crunch or Chicago Wolves or wherever and leave them.

They could find a team to take Jones when vasy is healthy for a 7th rounder or future considerations in a trade but we definitely need more depth at goalie now

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Long term doesn’t matter. His contract is buryable as is Johansson’s; when Vasy comes back whichever one played better stays as the backup and the other gets waived. If somebody claims him then the Bolts simply rented a goalie for the cost of a waiver claim; if not then they’ve strengthened their system at the position. If the Bolts waive Jones and nobody claims him then he is hardly in a position to complain about being sent to the AHL.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They could find a team to take Jones when vasy is healthy for a 7th rounder or future considerations in a trade but we definitely need more depth at goalie now
The Leafs got a draft pick for Sam Lafferty. They know teams are looking for goalies, but weren't able to make a deal happen.

I could see TB letting things play out a bit longer. If they decide they need to make a change, then they'll make a trade.

If the price is only a 7th or future considerations, it's almost free.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
No they can't. And that is absolutely stupid idea to even assume any team would accept that. Why in god's name would any team up us when Vasy is healthy?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Long term doesn’t matter. His contract is buryable as is Johansson’s; when Vasy comes back whichever one played better stays as the backup and the other gets waived. If somebody claims him then the Bolts simply rented a goalie for the cost of a waiver claim; if not then they’ve strengthened their system at the position. If the Bolts waive Jones and nobody claims him then he is hardly in a position to complain about being sent to the AHL.
I just don't want him to sulk and pout. Jojo is the presumptive starter right now, and he'll have to take that job from him if he's going to stay when Vasi gets back. Jones is also used to platooning, but that's not what we do here.

He could be loaned to the Marlies, if that's his preferred destination.

”It’s tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you’ve been sleeping in silk pajamas”

Last edited:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Not sure how Malcom Subban does against the rest of the league but against the Crunch, he has been stellar. Much like Denis Hamel and Mark Mancari in the past, he is one of those players who seem to get up in the morning, see Syracuse as the opponent on the schedule that day, and grin from ear to ear knowing that he "owns" them more often than not.

Reilly Walsh from the Bruins organization is the same way, as when he played for the Devils in Binghamton and Utica he seemed to have far more very effective games than games he was not a factor against Syracuse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wasnt it Malcolm Subban who some scouts thought might have been the first goalie selected in Vasy's draft year?

Seems like we are going with Johansson and possibly replacing the back up?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wasnt it Malcolm Subban who some scouts thought might have been the first goalie selected in Vasy's draft year?

Seems like we are going with Johansson and possibly replacing the back up?
Subban was the top ranked NA goalie that year, and went 24th overall to Boston.

TB picked Vasi at 19.

thehockeywriters.com had Subban beating out Vasi for the 2nd best goalie prospect in 2014.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So did ABB not make the team? Can someone catch me up? Feels like I missed a thing or two.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So did ABB not make the team? Can someone catch me up? Feels like I missed a thing or two.
We don't know yet. He wasn't waived yesterday, but he may not be at practice for an innocuous reason.

Syracuse has added a goalie from Carolina. That would push Fitzpatrick down to Orlando.

I don't really see TB going with three goalies right now (Syracuse could), but the situation can change rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad