Speculation: 2023 Off-Season Thread II: We're all gonna die edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
i guess they showcased BOGO a bit too, if that's actually what they were doing with ABB.

i really don't know why he wouldn't make it over anyone else, like watson though

watson is ok, i guess. he's just really a "no, we have a jeannot at home" type
I don’t know about showcasing because you’re not going to really get anything back in return for ABB. Future considerations? This is a guy that has gone on waivers multiple times before so teams could have had him already for free. He preformed better this preseason than he has in any of the previous tries to make this team, but to others outside this organization he’s not really an intriguing name. He’s not a younger and/or former high profile prospect like Lassi Thomson, Denisenko, Bernard-Docker, Raphael Lavoie and he’s not an older player with league experience like Bogo, Sam Gagner, Joel Armia, or Travis Boyd.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I don’t know about showcasing because you’re not going to really get anything back in return for ABB. Future considerations? This is a guy that has gone on waivers multiple times before so teams could have had him already for free. He preformed better this preseason than he has in any of the previous tries to make this team, but to others outside this organization he’s not really an intriguing name. He’s not a younger and/or former high profile prospect like Lassi Thomson, Denisenko, Bernard-Docker, Raphael Lavoie and he’s not an older player with league experience like Bogo, Sam Gagner, Joel Armia, or Travis Boyd.
yeah, showcasing as in...like, more of a favor to the player than as a trade allurement. basically to get them a team, not max the rewards.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
yeah, showcasing as in...like, more of a favor to the player than as a trade allurement. basically to get them a team, not max the rewards.
Yeah I just don’t know if anyone would want him. He doesn’t really have value. Trade partner A, B, or C would rather call up one of their young guys they’re invested in than give a 26 year old who hasn’t done much in the NHL one more look. ABB is at the point where he either makes it with us or nobody.

With Bogo, even if he’s on the decline of his career, he has value in experience, in what he can do for a locker room, help mentor younger players. He can hang around the league for a little bit even if he’s becoming old and slow. A respectable 15 year NHL career can buy you that extra time.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop speaking with the media today:

"These last couple days are far and away the hardest, aside from the last game of the year if you don't win it. You just know what's gone into the work to get to this point. For some guys it works out opening night, for some guys it does not. The big message is who's here right now are not the only people who are going to be playing for us. You never go through a season without injuries. Something happens. It's just that feeling of being there opening night. For some players it feels, that disappointment has set in. But to guys that grind through that, and for a lot of players, they have told me it makes them better. It gives them that inner drive, like how close they are, and the steps they have to take to get here. For the guys that are here, they're happy, but my thing with them is don't get content because the second that happens, your spot may not be here anymore."

Take from it what you will

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Makes more sense to have Merela sent down in this type of paper transaction, as he doesn't require waivers and can then be called up after day 1. 4 or 5 whole preseason games and a rookie camp, but he's now qualified for a 3rd line role....seems very sketchy. ABB had a good preseason, was practicing regularly on pp2 like 2 days ago, and now he's being dumped again? I sincerely hope, if that's the case, that he's claimed and gets a look with another team, as there's is absolutely no growth and nothing left for him.to in Syracuse for another year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Makes more sense to have Merela sent down in this type of paper transaction, as he doesn't require waivers and can then be called up after day 1. 4 or 5 whole preseason games and a rookie camp, but he's now qualified for a 3rd line role....seems very sketchy. ABB had a good preseason, was practicing regularly on pp2 like 2 days ago, and now he's being dumped again? I sincerely hope, if that's the case, that he's claimed and gets a look with another team, as there's is absolutely no growth and nothing left for him.to in Syracuse for another year.
They might have been giving him the long look to give him every opportunity to show something.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Not sure why we have 14 forwards my guess is they waive ABB down I mean there gonna sit two forwards all the time daily?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I wonder, if Merela has a trash 15 game stretch, he'll get cast out as well. I mean, that's basically all ABB ever got at any one time before being designated no better than an AHL lifer; or as expected, Merela will get pass after pass because he's "not on a scoring line." Hope he does well, but won't be surprised if it doesn't work out.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I wonder, if Merela has a trash 15 game stretch, he'll get cast out as well. I mean, that's basically all ABB ever got at any one time before being designated no better than an AHL lifer; or as expected, Merela will get pass after pass because he's "not on a scoring line." Hope he does well, but won't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
Have you been watching? Merela is a much better player then abb and built for the nhl.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Have you been watching the games? Merela is a much better player then abb and built for the nhl.
Merela is far from a "much better player" than ABB. After 5 or so preseason games and a camp, that's hardly been proven. Also interesting that ABB, the supposed clear inferior player, was getting regular pp2 time as of 2 days ago and 2nd/3rd line minutes in most preseason games. Who is Tampa going to have as a scoring threat with Hagel-Cirelli or Stamkos-Paul/Cirelli, Eyssimont, Motte, Sheary? Merela is fine as a 3rd liner or below, but Tampa has plenty of those this year. A more true shooter(and someone who created a few chances as well), seemed more beneficial for the top 6. Again, if Merela does great, fine, but if he struggles for 10 or 15 games I wonder if he'll get a pass or sent down for a Crunch player doing well.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It depends on whether or not hes trash at his role.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
idk if merelä is gonna be any good but as long as he can hold onto the puck for more than a second he will be more useful than ABB already

Reactions: Stammertime91

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Merela is far from a "much better player" than ABB. After 5 or so preseason games and a camp, that's hardly been proven. Also interesting that ABB, the supposed clear inferior player, was getting regular pp2 time as of 2 days ago and 2nd/3rd line minutes in most preseason games. Who is Tampa going to have as a scoring threat with Hagel-Cirelli or Stamkos-Paul/Cirelli, Eyssimont, Motte, Sheary? Merela is fine as a 3rd liner or below, but Tampa has plenty of those this year. A more true shooter(and someone who created a few chances as well), seemed more beneficial for the top 6. Again, if Merela does great, fine, but if he struggles for 10 or 15 games I wonder if he'll get a pass or sent down for a Crunch player doing well.
And ABB couldn’t perform with all that gifted ice time. Meanwhile Merela outplayed him with inferior line mates.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
And ABB couldn’t perform with all that gifted ice time. Meanwhile Merela outplayed him with inferior line mates.
Merela outplayed him in one game primarily. Merela had one game where he looked like something and most on here jumped all over his ****. If the so called great players ABB was with finished a couple chances ABB helped create, he has has many points as Merela in the preseason. Merela had 1 point outside of again, one good game and showed he can be a grinder in a 3rd line type role perhaps. He should get no special treatment either, so if he sucks for 10-15 games he has no business on the team, just as ABB was treated when he was first given the opportunity.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Watching him in a couple of games, I thought I saw improvement in his overall play, particularly where there were loose pucks along the walls. He does have good size and decent wheels, along with the reach. I think Coop’s comments ring true: he’s gotten better with every game. And if he’s a panflash, we’ll know that when he’s facing live ammunition.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Merela outplayed him in one game primarily. Merela had one game where he looked like something and most on here jumped all over his ****. If the so called great players ABB was with finished a couple chances ABB helped create, he has has many points as Merela in the preseason. Merela had 1 point outside of again, one good game and showed he can be a grinder in a 3rd line type role perhaps. He should get no special treatment either, so if he sucks for 10-15 games he has no business on the team, just as ABB was treated when he was first given the opportunity.
If the staff believe ABB is not good enough so we should. I, for one, don't see Gourde or Verhaegye when I see him. He's a career AHLer/KHLEr, IMO

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If the staff believe ABB is not good enough so we should. I, for one, don't see Gourde or Verhaegye when I see him. He's a career AHLer/KHLEr, IMO

I mean the staff didn't see Verhaghe or JAM in a top6 role and both are 1st liners so yeah they can be absolutely wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad