2022 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Semi random thought, but UNB has always had a "legacy item" from hosting nationals (centre ice scoreboard, video boards, private boxes, etc). Regardless if they bid on mens or womens in the future, the next thing should be visiting dressing rooms.. I have played hockey in 95% of the rinks in New Brunswick and a decent amount in NS and PEI , and the rooms at the AUC are as bad as every facility I've been to that isn't in a place like Minto, Shippigan,etc. I can't imagine they are much fun with 20 large hockey players... even with the door open to join 2 rooms and the showers were the type where if I dropped my face cloth, i would not want to pick it up... It's the perfect rink for what it is, but those rooms needed revamped 30 years ago.

UNB has a nice room for the home team. That's all that matters.

When I was in "The Joe" in '97 when we played the US guys they had the Red Wings room and we were down the hall. Not a terrible room by any measure but very basic stalls. This was the same room that visiting NHL teams had.

Edit: Adding to the "legacy items" is the ability to attract top recruits when you're hosting.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If Usports is dedicated to keeping the tournament at 8 teams I think they should at least explore the ideas of allowing co-hosts. It would bring down costs and would allow for the tournament to be held in different places. For example Carleton and University of Ottawa co-hosting out of the TD Place Arena. Or Ryerson and UofT hosing out of the Marlies home rink.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The CIS doesn't "explore" things. If CAR and OU want to co-host they would submit a bid, much like SFX-SMU did.
I've said this many times in this thread - You need local fan support. Several years ago I was talking to the OU coach and he said the enrollment was 40K and they get a couple hundred at best to games.

mikandi1

Apr 11, 2022
Winnipeg
The CIS doesn't "explore" things. If CAR and OU want to co-host they would submit a bid, much like SFX-SMU did.
I've said this many times in this thread - You need local fan support. Several years ago I was talking to the OU coach and he said the enrollment was 40K and they get a couple hundred at best to games.
this is so true
they just say show me the $
and send out a few big wheels to attend the banquet and be at the tournanment meetings
was pretty surprised they circled back on the acadia event in halifax
however i wonder if acadia lost $ twice in a row? ouch
thought they might have just moved to UPEI hosting it this past year

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Just to clarify when I mention co-hosting I mean having two hosts at the same time. Not just alternate years.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
this is so true
they just say show me the $
and send out a few big wheels to attend the banquet and be at the tournanment meetings
was pretty surprised they circled back on the acadia event in halifax
however i wonder if acadia lost $ twice in a row? ouch
thought they might have just moved to UPEI hosting it this past year

I don't know for certain but can "assume" that Acadia lost some money this year as well as 2020. No difference between both tournaments, same number of teams, etc. But it was played in a smaller venue. Even in a worse case scenario (which actually happened with host and UNB out), they could draw 4 or 5 K to a game. SFX would have put that many fans in the building for their games.

I think the CIS felt that they "owed" Acadia a 2nd shot and I'm fine with that.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
If Usports is dedicated to keeping the tournament at 8 teams I think they should at least explore the ideas of allowing co-hosts. It would bring down costs and would allow for the tournament to be held in different places. For example Carleton and University of Ottawa co-hosting out of the TD Place Arena. Or Ryerson and UofT hosing out of the Marlies home rink.

It's hard to imagine a less likely scenario than either of those you just described.

Carleton and Ottawa once co-hosted the BBall Final Eight and lost their shirts. Ottawa is a government town ... everybody is from somewhere else ... which explains why fan support is so minimal for the Sens and 67s much less the Ravens and GGs.

The UofT barely supports its own teams, much less seeking to host any championships. Ryerson does have interest but it also has its own rink that could easily host the UCup. Why on earth would they ever try to rent a building 5 miles from campus that is too big when they have the ideal spot on campus? Mattamy Centre is the best rink in USports. Period.

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I always hear people say…and I used to as well…that the ideal rink should sit at least 3000, which eliminates a lot of on campus options. But why does that need to be the case, especially when exploring “non-traditional” locations? The only time we have ever seen really high attendance figures is when everything aligns for the local teams (Saskatchewan/Moncton in ‘07/UNB/X in ‘16)…heck, even as well as Fredericton supports UNB, the non-UNB finals were well below capacity. I’ve always felt a packed 3000 rink is much better than a half full 10K rink.

Personally, I think a 2-3K venue would work perfectly fine (strictly from an attendance standpoint…not locker rooms/etc), which should keep costs lower and, hopefully, open up some more possibilities.

EDIT - “non traditional venues” to “non-traditional” hosts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I always hear people say…and I used to as well…that the ideal rink should sit at least 3000, which eliminates a lot of on campus options. But why does that need to be the case, especially when exploring “non-traditional venues”? The only time we have ever seen really high attendance figures is when everything aligns for the local teams (Saskatchewan/Moncton in ‘07/UNB/X in ‘16)…heck, even as well as Fredericton supports UNB, the non-UNB finals were well below capacity. I’ve always felt a packed 3000 rink is much better than a half full 10K rink.

Personally, I think a 2-3K venue would work perfectly fine (strictly from an attendance standpoint…not locker rooms/etc), which should keep costs lower and, hopefully, open up some more possibilities.

I'm leaning towards 3-5 K as an ideal capacity. Again, it's not a matter of "exploring" anything. It has to be financially viable to bid. Part of that is a good sized arena and a Good Fan Base.

The reason the non-UNB finals were low attendance is because they are UNB fans and not hockey fans. If you're in town for the weekend and your team is out, watch other teams. If I only went to the Nationals when SMU was playing I would have missed a lot of great hockey.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I always hear people say…and I used to as well…that the ideal rink should sit at least 3000, which eliminates a lot of on campus options. But why does that need to be the case, especially when exploring “non-traditional” locations? The only time we have ever seen really high attendance figures is when everything aligns for the local teams (Saskatchewan/Moncton in ‘07/UNB/X in ‘16)…heck, even as well as Fredericton supports UNB, the non-UNB finals were well below capacity. I’ve always felt a packed 3000 rink is much better than a half full 10K rink.

Personally, I think a 2-3K venue would work perfectly fine (strictly from an attendance standpoint…not locker rooms/etc), which should keep costs lower and, hopefully, open up some more possibiliti

EDIT - “non traditional venues” to “non-traditional” hosts.

Hosts using their home rinks would certainly bring down costs. The question is how many tickets do they have to sell to break even?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think you would be the exception vs. the rule re/ attending the games even when you’re team isn’t playing. I feel the vast majority of people are only going to their team’s games (and the local “fair weather” fans that come out for these events are only going to the hosts games)…which makes me wonder why the need for a big venue if you are only filling it, at best, three times?

Obviously I think that is why Halifax works so well as you essentially have the entire conference a reasonable drive away so they may not necessarily have to rely on the “host” doing as well as say, a Ryerson would.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
How does that work if you have 2 hosts, neither make it to the Queens Cup?

4 OUA teams?
In 2001 when Guelph/Waterloo/Laurier co-hosted, they held a tournament amongst them to decide the host spot.

In the 8-team tournament format, the OUA would get four spots if they host. So they could either send both OTT and CU as hosts, plus the Queens Cup finalists, or keep the bronze medal berth and have a CU-OTT playoff series for the host bid (if necessary).

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
In 2001 when Guelph/Waterloo/Laurier co-hosted, they held a tournament amongst them to decide the host spot.

In the 8-team tournament format, the OUA would get four spots if they host. So they could either send both OTT and CU as hosts, plus the Queens Cup finalists, or keep the bronze medal berth and have a CU-OTT playoff series for the host bid (if necessary).

OUA will NEVER get 4 slots. That was settled when Lakehead hosted in 2009. There was no wildcard OUA team because OUA were hosting and Lakehead lost in the OUA(W) Division semi finals. In 2010 Lakehead was a Queens Cup finalist so there was a wildcard team. Again keeping the OUA at 3 teams max.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
OUA will NEVER get 4 slots. That was settled when Lakehead hosted in 2009. There was no wildcard OUA team because OUA were hosting and Lakehead lost in the OUA(W) Division semi finals. In 2010 Lakehead was a Queens Cup finalist so there was a wildcard team. Again keeping the OUA at 3 teams max.
It's in the official regulations that the OUA would get four slots if hosted by an OUA team:

Screenshot_20220419-130646.png

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
fwiw, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state, for the record, that OUA will not get 4 teams.

I see where it is Bold Type, which indicates that it's new.

We'll see what kind of shelf life my prediction has because I fully expect an OUA team to get the bid after UPEI.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad