2022 University Cup

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta has been a different team since Noah Philp returned to the team for the 2nd half.
He is playing RW on a very good line with Grayson Pawlenchuk and former San Jose Barracuda (AHL) forward Matt Fonteyne.
They obliterated Calgary this weekend combining for 17 points.
Philp has a great release and had 3-5-8 in the 2 games.
Multiple NHL teams are looking at the 6'3" C/RW

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Alberta has been a different team since Noah Philp returned to the team for the 2nd half.
He is playing RW on a very good line with Grayson Pawlenchuk and former San Jose Barracuda (AHL) forward Matt Fonteyne.
They obliterated Calgary this weekend combining for 17 points.
Philp has a great release and had 3-5-8 in the 2 games.
Multiple NHL teams are looking at the 6'3" C/RW

Looking forward to seeing the Bears again.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Got my rental car booked and my room reserved in New Minas. All set for Nationals.
You didn't happen to rent a van and have room for 3 more from Fredericton? Medical condition means i can't drive right now so 3 of us are looking at taking maratime bus down. We'd be happy to pay gas money if you happen to have space.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We’re going to get some new OUA teams this year as all of the participants from 2020 (Western/Guelph/Ottawa) and 2019 (Guelph/Queen’s/Carleton) have been eliminated.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Went to both games of UBC-Alberta.
UBC hung around on Friday. Rylan Toth made some stops. But they generated very little 5v5.
Golden Bears ended up winning 4-2 with an ENG.
Alberta built up a 6-0 lead after 2 periods on Saturday as the T-Birds only generated 10 SOG through the first 2 periods and the Golden Bears chased Toth.
Golden Bears are much deeper, especially up front.
They have Luc Smith (28 goal season-WHL) and Josh Patterson (31 goal season-WHL) on their 4th line.
Alberta's top line of Grayson Pawlenchuk-Matt Fonteyne-Noah Philp were relatively quiet this weekend after lighting up Calgary a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: TB12 and AUS Fan

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Went to both games of UBC-Alberta.
UBC hung around on Friday. Rylan Toth made some stops. But they generated very little 5v5.
Golden Bears ended up winning 4-2 with an ENG.
Alberta built up a 6-0 lead after 2 periods on Saturday as the T-Birds only generated 10 SOG through the first 2 periods and the Golden Bears chased Toth.
Golden Bears are much deeper, especially up front.
They have Luc Smith (28 goal season-WHL) and Josh Patterson (31 goal season-WHL) on their 4th line.
Alberta's top line of Grayson Pawlenchuk-Matt Fonteyne-Noah Philp were relatively quiet this weekend after lighting up Calgary a couple of weeks ago.
Bob please tell me we are getting a goaltender ?!?! I can’t sit and watch 97 waste another year :(

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta's dominance of Calgary and UBC (2-0 sweeps) is impressive.
They most likely go into Nationals as favourites, but if stacked up against UNB, defensively the stingiest team in the country, they won't be doubling the REDS in shots or puck possession.
The biggest difference is offence, were UNB has lost Nick Guay, who is a former CHL 40 goal scorer and led the AUS in scoring prior to leaving for pro and Ty Boland, former CHL 50 goal scorer, also to departed for pro. Both, as many others also departed the AUS and OUA, due to the fact that the season was not going to play out.
This is Alberta's tournament to lose, but I wouldn't hand them the title yet.
IMO,X, if they get by SMU are very capable of knocking off UNB or Alberta.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It'll be interesting to see how the teams handle the Olympic sized ice at Acadia.

In my mind I have the AUS teams penciled in, but will wait until the semis are done. Also gonna wait until Thursday to see how the OUA fills out.

I guess the only "given" is that Acadia will play Alberta on Friday night.

But, I'm in general agreement with your comment.

Reactions: Drummer and Rob

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
It'll be interesting to see how the teams handle the Olympic sized ice at Acadia.

In my mind I have the AUS teams penciled in, but will wait until the semis are done. Also gonna wait until Thursday to see how the OUA fills out.

I guess the only "given" is that Acadia will play Alberta on Friday night.

But, I'm in general agreement with your comment.

If UNB wins tonight and wins the AUS champ next weekend (no sure bet i know); how could it not be unb vs acadia friday night? Surly UNB can't fall below Alberta with an unbeaten playoff and how could Acadia be anything but 8th for ultimately coming dead last in AUS. I know there is a bit of flexibility to try and avoid quarterfinals among the same conference, just don't see how it could be avoided in this scenario? Besides historically Acadia has played UNB very tough at home so they may favor that over Alberta.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If UNB wins tonight and wins the AUS champ next weekend (no sure bet i know); how could it not be unb vs acadia friday night? Surly UNB can't fall below Alberta with an unbeaten playoff and how could Acadia be anything but 8th for ultimately coming dead last in AUS. I know there is a bit of flexibility to try and avoid quarterfinals among the same conference, just don't see how it could be avoided in this scenario? Besides historically Acadia has played UNB very tough at home so they may favor that over Alberta.
The only thing is if UNB wins X is clearly 5th…then you have 3 AUS teams in the same bracket.

Getting ahead of myself here…but if UNB were to win AUS I kind of hope Alberta goes ahead of them…so they would be on X’s side.

Reactions: Drummer

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The only thing is if UNB wins X is clearly 5th…then you have 3 AUS teams in the same bracket.

Getting ahead of myself here…but if UNB were to win AUS I kind of hope Alberta goes ahead of them…so they would be on X’s side.
Final rankings are often gerrymandered. Also, would there not be chance that if McGill is OUA3 they would fall behind Acadia?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Come to think of it, this might be the gerrymander they are looking for:

Alberta v OUA3
OUA2 v AUS2

AUS1 v Acadia
OUA1 v UBC

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia can't play UNB in the 1st game because that doesn't happen.
If UNB wins the AUS: UNB, UofA, OUA1, OUA2, SFX, UBC, ACA, OUA3.
If SFX wins the AUS: UofA, SFX, OUA1, OUA2, UNB, UBC, OUA3, ACA.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I should know that because I was there. I guess we'll know in week or so.

Edit: If I recall correctly, this was done to get a good gate for that game. I'm not certain of this, but something says Yes...

The host team has some leeway but I can't see it happening. I'm sticking with my "predictions".

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3