2022 University Cup

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Alberta had announced a new rink 3-4 years ago and that was the last I ever heard of it, anyone have any idea if/when that is set to be open?
Was supposed to be 3000ish seats, could be a future UCup venue , would be a much better atmosphere than Rexall was.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
U Cup
From the horses mouth, I spoke to Stan in regards to Alberta hosting back a few years ago and he had mentioned Claire Drake was too small for hosting. (8 teams-rooms etc..)
Since they hosted at Rexall Place in 2005-6, Edmonton has CHL hockey to contend with in the Oil Kings. I still think that they would be a good host, especially with the history of Golden Bears hockey and their Alumni, but are they willing to spend??
Acadia hosted this year in it's 1,800 seat building at Wolfville, but only because Scotiabank Centre in Halifax was booked , due to the rescheduling of the University Cup.
After UPEI hosts, I think U Sask will bid.
IMO, UNB is years away from hosting again.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
U Cup
From the horses mouth, I spoke to Stan in regards to Alberta hosting back a few years ago and he had mentioned Claire Drake was too small for hosting. (8 teams-rooms etc..)
Since they hosted at Rexall Place in 2005-6, Edmonton has CHL hockey to contend with in the Oil Kings. I still think that they would be a good host, especially with the history of Golden Bears hockey and their Alumni, but are they willing to spend??
Acadia hosted this year in it's 1,800 seat building at Wolfville, but only because Scotiabank Centre in Halifax was booked , due to the rescheduling of the University Cup.
After UPEI hosts, I think U Sask will bid.
IMO, UNB is years away from hosting again.
Not many suitable venues when you start digging , if we are excluding the AUS which can put people in seats in bigger venues , 3,500-4,500 seems to be the sweet spot , unfortunately it feels like 90% of arenas are 1000-2000 ,7000-10,000 or 15,000+. I’m biased but the AUC seems like the perfect venue for the UCup, if Saskatchewan had a higher capacity they could host on campus , 2700 seems just a little low .
At first glance “maple leaf gardens” seems like a viable venue , the capacity they list includes standing room etc, the actual seating capacity seems to be between 2,500-3,000 based off construction info I managed to dig up , and looking at the place that almost seems high .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Not many suitable venues when you start digging , if we are excluding the AUS which can put people in seats in bigger venues , 3,500-4,500 seems to be the sweet spot , unfortunately it feels like 90% of arenas are 1000-2000 ,7000-10,000 or 15,000+. I’m biased but the AUC seems like the perfect venue for the UCup, if Saskatchewan had a higher capacity they could host on campus , 2700 seems just a little low .
At first glance “maple leaf gardens” seems like a viable venue , the capacity they list includes standing room etc, the actual seating capacity seems to be between 2,500-3,000 based off construction info I managed to dig up , and looking at the place that almost seems high .
2539 excluding suites and SRO. According to the website. Not terrible numbers when you look at past attendance at most venues.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In the CW any city that has an organizing committee is in! We all know about Sask and Alberta. Here's the rest:

UBC - 7,000 seat arena and who wouldn't love a weekend in Vancouver in the spring?

TWU - They use two arenas, one of which is shared with the AHL's Abbotsford Canucks. Also holds 7,000.

Calgary or MRU - There are lots of small arenas, including Winsport Markin McPhail Centre, which holds over 3,000 and hosted curling during the lockdowns and women's nationals. Many Juniors vs USports games are held there. Great lighting. There's also the new 7 Chiefs Arena on the Tsuutina First Nation.

Regina - The Brandt Centre holds 6,000, but they seldom draw 600 at a secondary arena. The U of R itself is small and has limited local interest, unlike the U of S in Saskatown.

Manitoba - The campus arena is too small at 1,500. The St. James Civic Centre re-opens next year (hopefully) but only squeezes in 2,000. The only hope would be if the Ice's covid-delayed and zoning-delayed 5,000 seat arena is built.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The Waterloo memorial rec complex (used by Laurier as their home rink) fits this profile; it would be much more centralized and easy to get to than the Kitchener Aud back in 01. There are loads of Hotels nearby, and the rink is smack in the middle of uptown Waterloo, surrounded by restaurants and night life.
The problem, of course, would be interest. The OHL's Rangers run this town, and even the Siskins, part of the local Jr B circuit, draws better than Laurier in the same rink. Wouldn't hold my breath on Ontario hosting this tournament any time soon.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The Waterloo memorial rec complex (used by Laurier as their home rink) fits this profile; it would be much more centralized and easy to get to than the Kitchener Aud back in 01. There are loads of Hotels nearby, and the rink is smack in the middle of uptown Waterloo, surrounded by restaurants and night life.
The problem, of course, would be interest. The OHL's Rangers run this town, and even the Siskins, part of the local Jr B circuit, draws better than Laurier in the same rink. Wouldn't hold my breath on Ontario hosting this tournament any time soon.

Can you say "Never'?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Speaking of old heads did anyone here go to the Nationals when they hosted at Maple Leads gardens every year? How was the “ neutral site” experience?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Speaking of old heads did anyone here go to the Nationals when they hosted at Maple Leads gardens every year? How was the “ neutral site” experience?
I was at the last UCup final played at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1997. It was a final-4 format with the two semi-finals played at the UofT rink. UNB (who upset Alberta) versus Guelph. There was around 6000 fans there and 5000 of them were probably UNB alumni and family from Southern Ontario. Probably because it was the most affordable way to see a hockey game at MLG at the time. Quite the atmosphere, even though UNB lost (gave up early goals, and then shelled Guelph goalie Matt Mullin, but couldn't put enough past him ... sound familiar?). The next season they went to the six-team format and UNB won their first UCup in Saskatoon in 1998.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I was also there in '97. Darrell and I were putting together the team that was to play against the US college guys. I didn't find out until years later that Tim Thomas was the US goalie.

Reactions: Rob

mikandi1

Apr 11, 2022
Winnipeg
Can you say "Never'?
AUS fan
I dont want to keep bringing up the current 8 team format again but it is a real deterent in my mind.
I have no real idea as to what the cost of the bid package is to host presently......
But if anything the Lethbridge experiment is a glaring example of how to loose your shirt trying to host and give your program a boost.
I believe the $$ losses were huge and were a contributing factor in the decision to move on from Mens hockey on that campus, Maybe just a final nail who knows.
Took the early game versus AB.,thinking an early big gate....rink was empty the rest of the weekend.
Acadia this year...., difference is UNB and X fans could still help fill the barn.
But 1800 one time doesnt pay the bills.
Maybe a host has to have 2 or 3 schools in close proximity might work....
But, I am betting the $ numbers for hosting didnt balance the way a bean counter would have hoped.
The one and done format is a serious speed bump for Men's hockey bidders!
It is cheaper to travel and participate than it is to host IMO.
USPORTS programs are all light on cash and diminishing exposure! Hosting a tournament with the upfront bid price for Mens hockey is a serious deterent!

The new USPORTS guy who has a hockey background is going to have to deal with this reality.
If he is an old buddy give him a nudge!! asap

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
AUS fan
I dont want to keep bringing up the current 8 team format again but it is a real deterent in my mind.
I have no real idea as to what the cost of the bid package is to host presently......
But if anything the Lethbridge experiment is a glaring example of how to loose your shirt trying to host and give your program a boost.
I believe the $$ losses were huge and were a contributing factor in the decision to move on from Mens hockey on that campus, Maybe just a final nail who knows.
Took the early game versus AB.,thinking an early big gate....rink was empty the rest of the weekend.
Acadia this year...., difference is UNB and X fans could still help fill the barn.
But 1800 one time doesnt pay the bills.
Maybe a host has to have 2 or 3 schools in close proximity might work....
But, I am betting the $ numbers for hosting didnt balance the way a bean counter would have hoped.
The one and done format is a serious speed bump for Men's hockey bidders!
It is cheaper to travel and participate than it is to host IMO.
USPORTS programs are all light on cash and diminishing exposure! Hosting a tournament with the upfront bid price for Mens hockey is a serious deterent!

The new USPORTS guy who has a hockey background is going to have to deal with this reality.
If he is an old buddy give him a nudge!! asap

Keep bringing that up. It's important.
What's equally important is what I've posted a few times: That there are a handful of places that can pull this off and at least break even. Probably 5 places that I can think of atm.

When hosting, you need several things - A team good enough to play at least 2 games, a decent sized rink , lots of hotels and bars nearby for the fans from away, good sponsorship and a deep volunteer pool.
Halifax has all of that (maybe not the team all the time) as does UNB, UdeM, UofS and UofA. I would love to see another school host after UPEI. I know there are At Least 4 that have expressed interest. I can't say who, but they all would be a good road trip. I'm unsure of their success.
A good measure of success is the "normal" fan base. If it's just family and friends at the regular season games, the odds are slim on being a financial success.

The bid book goes out this summer for the next U-Cup after UPEI. i can't recall when the host is announced.

Speaking of Acadia, I believe they lost a bunch in 2020 when it was cancelled. Playing in their own barn may save a few bucks on ice rental, but the teams were still staying in Halifax and bussing to the Valley.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
It is prohibitively expensive to transport 8 teams.

It seems to me that USports leadership desperately WANTS every sport to have the same 8-team, single-elimination tournament that can be broadcast nationally. You can pull that off for basketball and volleyball with their 12-player rosters and the ability to play 4 games per day in one venue, but not hockey.

It is such an unappealing product, however, that nobody is bidding and it can only be watched on the government-funded CBC Gem.

USports would be much better off doing something similar to USports Football ... have Semi-Final 2-of-3 series alternating host conferences, and a National Championship 2-of-3 at an attractive central location (e.g., the Mattamy Centre). You'd have good gates at each Semi-Final, and a chance to at least break even in Toronto with a predictable television schedule for broadcasters.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
It is prohibitively expensive to transport 8 teams.

It seems to me that USports leadership desperately WANTS every sport to have the same 8-team, single-elimination tournament that can be broadcast nationally. You can pull that off for basketball and volleyball with their 12-player rosters and the ability to play 4 games per day in one venue, but not hockey.

It is such an unappealing product, however, that nobody is bidding and it can only be watched on the government-funded CBC Gem.

USports would be much better off doing something similar to USports Football ... have Semi-Final 2-of-3 series alternating host conferences, and a National Championship 2-of-3 at an attractive central location (e.g., the Mattamy Centre). You'd have good gates at each Semi-Final, and a chance to at least break even in Toronto with a predictable television schedule for broadcasters.
They want the made for TV bracket system .. unfortunately TV does not exist. It’s the same crap in the NHL now getting rid of the 1-8,2-7 format .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So, you're thinking along the lines of Uteck and Mitchel Bowls.

OK, you have AUS and CW winners. Who are the other 2?

The semi's Have to be held at the rink of one of the teams involved

Who will pay for hosting at Ryerson?

mikandi1

Apr 11, 2022
Winnipeg
So, you're thinking along the lines of Uteck and Mitchel Bowls.

OK, you have AUS and CW winners. Who are the other 2?

The semi's Have to be held at the rink of one of the teams involved

Who will pay for hosting at Ryerson?
OUA east
OUA west
or do we have the "at least one school from Quecbec" issue with that.
two semis and a final
best of three(s)
hosts? rotate or highest ranked...
i dont trust Bob Stauffer and Darren Zary and Freddy"s votes for top ten ;) so might have to rotate the hosts some how?
could work, barns would be packed, bills paid
but wouldnt conform to EDI
and sorry if that is a sensitive topic

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
OK....

So, we're looking at 2 weekends to get this done.
I'm thinking the semi final "host" does not have to spend any money for the other team to show up?
Guessing it would be Fri-Sun, similar to CW playoffs.
The semi final would have 1-4 and 2-3, with the higher seed as home team?
One problem with this is that it will almost always be UofA and UNB with 2 random OUA teams, one will travel to Edmonton and the other to Freddy Beach.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They can go to a four team format. Canada West champion, OUA champion, AUS champion + host team.
The tournament could be held on the weekend. Certainly cheaper.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They can go to a four team format. Canada West champion, OUA champion, AUS champion + host team.
The tournament could be held on the weekend. Certainly cheaper.

No, you can't take 1 team from a 19 team Conference. It has to be the Queens cup teams.

Doing the 4 teams on one weekend means one and done again. I don't have a problem with that, but this is what started the discussion.
I think having a semi final best-of-3 one weekend and a final best-of-3 the following could also be expensive.

Maybe go back to the 6 team Nationals with some kind of "ironclad" system for tied teams.

Last edited:

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
No, you can't take 1 team from a 19 team Conference. It has to be the Queens cup teams.

Doing the 4 teams on one weekend means one and done again. I don't have a problem with that, but this is what started the discussion.
I think having a semi final best-of-3 one weekend and a final best-of-3 the following could also be expensive.

Maybe go back to the 6 team Nationals with some kind of "ironclad" system for tied teams.
I’m convinced that the only reason we did away with 6 teams was so sportsnet didn’t have to try and explain how a team could lose the game on Saturday and advance to the Finals still. They were trying to appeal to the elusive “casual fan” , I see it watching the NHL, baseball and racing.. the difference is that CIS hockey doesn’t have this casual fan to try and sell the brand to.
Hockey is to emotional for your season to come down to one game, plus I hate that the conference semi final is useless..

Also you’d mentioned the CIAU-NCAA event from the late 90’s , any idea who put their foot down on this? I just recently realized it was a thing while digging through the Daily Gleaner archives .. the games were played when I was 7 or 8 years old .. I do know they had some wacky rules in terms of eligibility etc but if you were able to have something like this or NCAA-U Sports champions play a 2 or 3 game series.. if you’re after the casual viewer , something like that between the trade deadline and playoffs could possibly attract eye balls . I’m sure the Americans wouldn’t want to be seen possibly losing to a team of “washed up junior players” …

Reactions: Drummer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad