WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Came here to say this. McTavish's line has been getting caved in the last 2 games, regardless of who Cameron has put on his wings. I just don't know why you refuse to reunite your most productive line in Oth-Mc-Bed after they have one bad period (Finland 1st).
Bedard, because he is so young, didn't handle the bad period and demotion - being benched in the 3rd period against the Finns (IIRC). He's just a KID and, with expectations being sooooo high, it couldn't be easy.

He may be the most talented player on the ice but he'll be better off playing on a lower line and under the radar.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Keep in mind they tried to fix that problem already by putting Cuylle on that line and it just made things worse. Bedard/McT/Othmann will just outscore any problems they have in their own zone.
In a short tournament, you are looking for some quick line chemistry. Blowing things up in the elimination round means you’re starting from scratch.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I have a feeling Bedard is going to score a huge goal at some point here, and send everybody into gleeful hysteria.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm calling a Swedish - Canada final with Canada winning and Craig Button saving a little face.

Any other predictions?

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
Bedard, because he is so young, didn't handle the bad period and demotion - being benched in the 3rd period against the Finns (IIRC). He's just a KID and, with expectations being sooooo high, it couldn't be easy.

He may be the most talented player on the ice but he'll be better off playing on a lower line and under the radar.
You literally have zero clue what you are talking about and you are acting like you are the Head coach

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Those lines are so stupid.

First, we need to end the narrative that Bedard has been bad in any of the games that is a flat out lie. The top line was fine against Finland so changing it for the Swiss game was stupid.

Second, yes Greig going down is a big hit but the solution isn't to create 3 mediocre lines. McTavish now playing with two much worse players than before how does that make any sense?

I just don't get it, Othmann-McTavish-Bedard was dominant why would you want to change that? That line and the Johnson-Stankoven line is more than enough to create offense, especially as the other two line aren't horrible. Get the bottom two lines to play solid hockey and you are the big favorites in every game.

Now we still are favorites but there is a clear issue that we have going forward that could screw it all up. Such a high risk move for very little to no gain.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not good about Greig but also not surprising. He was the second best forward on the team to this point from my viewings. Also.......

Cameron taking the blender out. Not so sure about those combinations but we'll see on the ice perhaps.

The one thing I don't get about these lines is why Othmann and MacT have been separated. That combo works. Stick with it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
These lines are god awful.

You don’t fix what isnt broken. The top line dominated and set the pace for the team. No surprise since he broke the line up the whole team has looked completely different.

If they don’t win gold this clown better not be coaching in Dec.

Reactions: MM917 and Statsy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because he is bad defensively.
I think he's less effective on the wing than at C. You don't have to be defensive if you are a phenom offensively. I think they are doing him a disservice by putting him on the wing now that Greig is injured.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Cameron going to Cameron.

Couldn't have asked for a better draw in the final four for Canada and this guy needs to play around with the lines.

Greig is out, fine, but you don't need to play musical chairs with everybody. Keep with some kind of consistency (ie. Othmann and McTavish on a line) to what got you to this point.

This team can certainly still win in spite of old Dave, but guy is going to make things a bit of an adventure.

Reactions: MM917 and Statsy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Does Regina put Bedard on the wing because they want to win?
I don't know how to respond to that.

Team Canada comes first, Juno, and the players set aside their ego when they put on the maple leaf - it's a (silent) "oath" the players proudly take when they agree to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't know how to respond to that.

Team Canada comes first, Juno. It's a (silent) oath the players proudly take when they agree to play.
I get that and in a perfect world (if R.G didn't get injured) it makes sense. But with R.G injured, why not give Bedard an opportunity to center a line for a period or 2. Putting Bedard at C is not gonna cost the Canadians the game.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I get that and in a perfect world (if R.G didn't get injured) it makes sense. But with R.G injured, why not give Bedard an opportunity to center a line for a period or 2. Putting Bedard at C is not gonna cost the Canadians the game.
If this was a round robin game, I'd be more inclined to agree with you but not in the semis.

Bedard can set the world on fire at Christmas when he comes back. As for this weekend, Gold has to be the priority.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If this was a round robin game, I'd be more inclined to agree with you but not in the semis.

Bedard can set the world on fire at Christmas when he comes back. As for this weekend, Gold has to be the priority.
There are ways to manage Bedard at C. Give him only offensive starts as an example.

I just don't see Bedard as effective on wing as he is on C, despite the fact that he can be a liability defensively. The past 2 games were disappointing for the Bedard / McT line. They were hemmed in their zone for long periods of time. In fact, the Swiss outplayed them.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Those lines are so stupid.

First, we need to end the narrative that Bedard has been bad in any of the games that is a flat out lie. The top line was fine against Finland so changing it for the Swiss game was stupid.

Second, yes Greig going down is a big hit but the solution isn't to create 3 mediocre lines. McTavish now playing with two much worse players than before how does that make any sense?

I just don't get it, Othmann-McTavish-Bedard was dominant why would you want to change that? That line and the Johnson-Stankoven line is more than enough to create offense, especially as the other two line aren't horrible. Get the bottom two lines to play solid hockey and you are the big favorites in every game.

Now we still are favorites but there is a clear issue that we have going forward that could screw it all up. Such a high risk move for very little to no gain.
Exactly this. Out score them with the top 2 lines and ask the bottom 6 just not too mess it up. Now the lines feel like they have no identity. Although McT and Bedard might be able to create their own looks in spite of their line mates.

Reactions: MM917

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There are ways to manage Bedard at C. Give him only offensive starts as an example.

I just don't see Bedard as effective on wing as he is on C, despite the fact that he can be a liability defensively. The past 2 games were disappointing for the Bedard / McT line. They were hemmed in their zone for long periods of time. In fact, the Swiss outplayed them.
That's fair and you make some good points.

However, I want Canada to win Gold so badly, I just can't fault Team Canada if they put him on the wing.

Exactly this. Out score them with the top 2 lines and ask the bottom 6 just not too mess it up. Now the lines feel like they have no identity. Although McT and Bedard might be able to create their own looks in spite of their line mates.
Worst case, they can easily go back.

It's a blessing we have Czechia tomorrow. It will give us a chance to fix what's broken <-- the way we were dominated by the Swiss's backchecking.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

If Gold is the priority then Bedard better be on the top line and getting top minutes for this team. That is what is best for Canada and getting gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: