WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Who are the Canadians who can come back at Christmas?

Edit :

I found it / thank you @GermanSpitfire / GS's quote in red...

Canada will have quite a few potential returnees for this tournament.

10 Potential Forwards:

Mason McTavish
Zack Ostapchuk
Connor Bedard
Shane Wright
Logan Stankoven
Josh Roy
Riley Kidney
Nathan Gaucher
Brennan Othmann
Dylan Guenther

2 Potential Defenders:

Carson Lambos
Olen Zellweger

That's a heck of a returning team - many of our best players from the last 2 weeks.

There's hardly any room for new forwards - assuming they can all play. It'll be interesting considering there will be a lot of "young guns" looking to make the team.

With this summer's experience, it's hard to imagine this team not being the Gold Medal Favourite.
Today is McTavish last junior game. Ever.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Who are the Canadians who can come back at Christmas?

Edit :

I found it / thank you @GermanSpitfire / GS's quote in red...

Canada will have quite a few potential returnees for this tournament.

10 Potential Forwards:

Mason McTavish
Zack Ostapchuk
Connor Bedard
Shane Wright
Logan Stankoven
Josh Roy
Riley Kidney
Nathan Gaucher
Brennan Othmann
Dylan Guenther

2 Potential Defenders:

Carson Lambos
Olen Zellweger

That's a heck of a returning team - many of our best players from the last 2 weeks.

There's hardly any room for new forwards - assuming they can all play. It'll be interesting considering there will be a lot of "young guns" looking to make the team.

With this summer's experience, it's hard to imagine this team not being the Gold Medal Favourite.
Ethan del Mastro is also eligible.

Reactions: Dominance

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Today is McTavish last junior game. Ever.
Sad, but true. I’ve never been a fan of the idea of being “graduated” from a junior level for being considered too good, as I’ve always felt a player would have to put up an insanely dominant tournament for that to be the case... but if that’s a thing, then McTavish just did it.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Sad, but true. I’ve never been a fan of the idea of being “graduated” from a junior level for being considered too good, as I’ve always felt a player would have to put up an insanely dominant tournament for that to be the case... but if that’s a thing, then McTavish just did it.

Kid is so just mature and he plays a very strong, gritty game that is going to give him a really long career in the league.

There's been a couple instances in the tournament where he is in a puck battle with another play in this tournament and it's literally a man amongst boy scenario.

I don't think he has much more to gain in his development as has been mentioned playing this level of hockey.

Would love to have him in 2023 but it ain't happening. Either way, I'm grateful he decided to show up for this tourney and wear the C for Canada.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kid is so just mature and he plays a very strong, gritty game that is going to give him a really long career in the league.

There's been a couple instances in the tournament where he is in a puck battle with another play in this tournament and it's literally a man amongst boy scenario.

I don't think he has much more to gain in his development as has been mentioned playing this level of hockey.

Would love to have him in 2023 but it ain't happening. Either way, I'm grateful he decided to show up for this tourney and wear the C for Canada.
Thats true he certainly could have taken the tournament off and prepped for NHL camp... no one would have blamed him, he played a ton of hockey this year.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
would you rather have M.Mactavish or the top 2 Dallas prospects W.Johnston and Stankoven on your nhl team?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am a COWARD. I turned everything off and went to bed after the 3rd. I couldn't sleep, of course. I had to know.

Turned on my laptop, went to TSN and saw we won. Then I read about the amazing McT save.

So glad we won. Hope they replay the game so I can watch the O.T.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Great to win the tournament. Memorable game that Canada easily could have lost, it was nice that the two key plays were McTavish saving the tournament winning goal and Johnson subsequently scoring the tournament winning goal. Both guys could easily have opted out of this tournament in order to prepare for the upcoming NHL season. No one would have blamed them, and we know that many players from Canada and other countries made that very decision. Still they showed up and I'm sure at this point it was all worth it. Credit to Greig, who was great and ended up suffering a separated shoulder that had repercussions for the whole team. Credit as well to Bedard, who did show his age frequently but who also had the best 16 year old tournament that Canada has seen since Gretzky. We all know the issues with this team and they certainly reared their head in the gold medal game against a Finnish team that showed a lot of smarts and grit but sometimes you win anyway. Cameron can perhaps exorcise the memories from Buffalo and be done with the WJC.

I'm pleased for the team overall. No matter someone's opinion on the Hockey Canada allegations, the players on this team had nothing to do with anything and yet there was a black cloud all tournament long. Accusations floating around and people in Canada debating whether the tournament should take place, putrid fan support, the whole timing of the tournament due to the cancellation in December, Russia absent, sponsors pulling out other than Dr. Ho of course, and openly poor promotion by TSN. In the end they won and that's what mattered.

On to Halifax. Canada looks like it could have a very strong team in December. Hoping for the best and to repeat and take another WJC gold.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am a COWARD. I turned everything off and went to bed after the 3rd. I couldn't sleep, of course. I had to know.

Turned on my laptop, went to TSN and saw we won. Then I read about the amazing McT save.

You're not..................you just care that's all. That's a good thing. Great to see you all tournament long buddy.:thumbu:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Serves you right for giving up and quitting.

Canada is never out of a game or series when it’s all on the line.

Reactions: Dominance

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
My favorite play of the game was when the Finn grabbed the puck from the netting and put it in his pocket. Never seen anything like that. LOL

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Serves you right for giving up and quitting.

Canada is never out of a game or series when it’s all on the line.

You're right. I deserves the condemnation.

You're not..................you just care that's all. That's a good thing. Great to see you all tournament long buddy.:thumbu:
Thanks, meng. I appreciate it. I just hope they replay the O.T. Maybe on Youtube.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You're right. I deserves the condemnation.

Got to give you a hard time about that one.

It was an absolutely crazy sequence to from the McTavish save on the goal line to the Johnson goal not long after.

The range emotions was ridiculous, I thought it was a for sure goal when the shot by the Finn was released. I jumped out of the couch after realizing McTavish stopped it before the goal line.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

It was an absolutely crazy sequence to from the McTavish save on the goal line to the Johnson goal not long after.

The range emotions was ridiculous, I thought it was a for sure goal when the shot by the Finn was released. I jumped out of the couch after realizing McTavish stopped it before the goal line.
No worries. I had it coming.

Just saw the O.T. on YouTube. That was insane.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

The voice in my head was stuck on repeat as the play continued. “The buzzer’s going to sound, the buzzer’s going to sound, the buzzer’s going to sound!”

But it never did! :scared:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The voice in my head was stuck on repeat as the play continued. “The buzzer’s going to sound, the buzzer’s going to sound, the buzzer’s going to sound!”

But it never did! :scared:
:laugh:

Same here. I think I held my breath for 30 seconds.
God bless you guys. Better fans than me. I am 100% sure TSN will replay, I'd just like to know when.

In the meantime, I hope someone puts the entire O.T. period on YouTube.

******************************************************************************************

I am truly getting too old for this. It's just too hard to watch. I am too emotionally involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00