WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Greig was shown on tv without a cast, hopefully he can mimic Barrett Hayton and play tomorrow if Canada gets through

Ah yes, Hayton. One of the best troll performances in a WJC ever. I would guess that Alien Tape can be used to hold his shoulder in place.

Not liking Cameron's lines at even strength through two periods against the Czechs. The Stankoven line still looks good but otherwise not much at even strength from McTavish down.

Reactions: Mooche and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ah yes, Hayton. One of the best troll performances in a WJC ever. I would guess that Alien Tape can be used to hold his shoulder in place.

Not liking Cameron's lines at even strength through two periods against the Czechs. The Stankoven line still looks good but otherwise not much at even strength from McTavish down.

I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for Hayton’s performance at the WJCs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Regardless of the winner of the other semi-final I wouldn't have Canada as a big favourite by any stretch. This tournament doesn't really have any overly strong teams, and that's particularly true with how Canada is currently set up. That said, going to the gold medal game at the WJC is where Canada should be. Hoping for the best and... not really sure what to expect.

Reactions: Kalv

Spic Bud

Dec 29, 2020
I'll give Cameron credit for keeping that second line together despite some disappointing results early in the tourney, Stankoven and Johnson really heating up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Who would we rather see in the GMG? Already beat Finland, but didn't think the Finns played particularly well in that one. Sweden has mostly just looked OK but I'd rather face the Finnish goalie than Wallstedt. Can't ignore the Swedish 1st round pedigree in their forwards, and Edvinsson and Andrae are two real strong defenseman.

Think I'd go Sweden for variety's sake.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I was Pierre Dorion I would strongly advise against it.

Pinto came back early after a shoulder injury and re-injured it requiring surgery.

Edit: and I said this already a few posts before and forgot that I did
Cameron said he would NOT bet on RG coming back so....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I think we all knew this anyway but it makes sense. Greig was great in the games that he played and leaves a big hole.

Reactions: Mooche

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Who would we rather see in the GMG? Already beat Finland, but didn't think the Finns played particularly well in that one. Sweden has mostly just looked OK but I'd rather face the Finnish goalie than Wallstedt. Can't ignore the Swedish 1st round pedigree in their forwards, and Edvinsson and Andrae are two real strong defenseman.

Think I'd go Sweden for variety's sake.

I'll get called out for but the reality is that we are better than both teams so it shouldn't matter who we play.

I agree that I would probably rather than play Finland because of fear that Wallstedt could steal 1 game, but Finland has also fluked their way to some undeserved Golds so that worries me as well.

As long as Canada can overcome Cameron and play their game they should win no matter who the opponent is.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Need to stay out of the box against Finland and go to work 5v5. They are dangerous on the PP despite our past results in the RR game last Monday.

Still not in love with the line combos outside of the K.Johnson line which has found its groove. That being said, I think Canada has too much individual talent and should be able to get by if they stay disciplined. Stay physical, walk that line, and let's do this shit fellas.

Go Canada Go.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Who are the Canadians who can come back at Christmas?

Edit :

I found it / thank you @GermanSpitfire / GS's quote in red...

Canada will have quite a few potential returnees for this tournament.

10 Potential Forwards:

Mason McTavish
Zack Ostapchuk
Connor Bedard
Shane Wright
Logan Stankoven
Josh Roy
Riley Kidney
Nathan Gaucher
Brennan Othmann
Dylan Guenther

2 Potential Defenders:

Carson Lambos
Olen Zellweger

That's a heck of a returning team - many of our best players from the last 2 weeks.

There's hardly any room for new forwards - assuming they can all play. It'll be interesting considering there will be a lot of "young guns" looking to make the team.

With this summer's experience, it's hard to imagine this team not being the Gold Medal Favourite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Need to play a fast and physical forechecking style of game.

The best way to break the Finnish ”system” on NA ice is pucks deep and hitting everything that moves. Get their D men panicking everytime they go back to retrieve a puck. Take away time and space with a suffocating forecheck.

The Finns are not a team you can play an East-West style of game against, they do a good job clogging the middle and passing lanes.

The best counter to that is a heavy non-stop wave after wave forecheck, which is historically what Canada has done better than any other country.

Reactions: jj cale and Mooche

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Need to play a fast and physical forechecking style of game.

The best way to break the Finnish ”system” on NA ice is pucks deep and hitting everything that moves. Get their D men panicking everytime they go back to retrieve a puck. Take away time and space with a suffocating forecheck.

The Finns are not a team you can play an East-West style of game against, they do a good job clogging the middle and passing lanes.

The best counter to that is a heavy non-stop wave after wave forecheck, which is historically what Canada has done better than any other country.
They got a sample of that with Czechia. The thing will be if Johnson and Stankhoven can keep it going offensively and atleast another line can be a threat at even strength

Reactions: snipes

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They got a sample of that with Czechia. The thing will be if Johnson and Stankhoven can keep it going offensively and atleast another line can be a threat at even strength

I think that's the main key. Canada had a line that was a threat in each game with McTavish and Bedard, but traded that in for another checking line. If McTavish's line can be an even strength thread and Stankoven's line continues to look good then the team should be fine at even strength. Bedard has shown a talent for scoring in individual efforts as well, so you'd hope that continues.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canada is vulnerable to neutral zone turnovers by their forwards, and Finland is a tight checking team that specializes in creating turnovers. Canada has to be smart- if you are the puck carrier and 3rd man on the rush exiting the zone you can't get your pocket picked! Chip it out if need be. CAN has enough talent offensively(Johnson, Stank, McT, Bedard, Zell) that they can be patient, play smart, and jump on opportunities. I noticed a couple of players holding onto the puck for too long to make one extra move- that won't work against FIN. OTOH, saw some nice simple breakouts by the no name D and bottom six forwards. Short, quick, smart passes.

If the refs call the game like they did for SWE -FIN, then it favors FIN. Obstruction was rampant, and uncalled. Makes for a dull game.

I really like Gaucher. Smart, dependable player that can beat the Finns at their own game.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad