WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I hope we win gold but Cameron’s management has really baffled me; it comes off as vindictive. Scratching a first line player in Othmann because of penalties in a warm up game, sitting your most talented Goalscorer because of inzone play, and putting your best centreman with two fourth line players because of a bad game. In a 60+ game CHL season that might be ok, to send a message in a game or two, but not in a 7 game tournament

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not good about Greig but also not surprising. He was the second best forward on the team to this point from my viewings. Also.......

Cameron taking the blender out. Not so sure about those combinations but we'll see on the ice perhaps.

Roy has been brutal but just keeps getting moved to the best scenario over and over again. Second like finally clicked. Let's get the Othmann McTavish Bedard line back together here. Losing Grieg is a massive loss knew he was done right away. Separated shoulder. Too bad more bad luck for sens prospects/ players with shoulder injuries. Going to be a tough game against the Czechs.

Reactions: MM917

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Exactly this. Out score them with the top 2 lines and ask the bottom 6 just not too mess it up. Now the lines feel like they have no identity. Although McT and Bedard might be able to create their own looks in spite of their line mates.

That seems like the obvious strategy. The coach needs to figure out a better scheme for exiting the defensive zone and drill down basics of coverage, not screw around with the very successful top line. The team may win anyway but the way he does things does not instill confidence.

Reactions: Statsy

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
That seems like the obvious strategy. The coach needs to figure out a better scheme for exiting the defensive zone and drill down basics of coverage, not screw around with the very successful top line. The team may win anyway but the way he does things does not instill confidence.

Cameron still believes he can still be a NHL coach. Get over it, Dave. that ship sailed in 2011 Buffalo. He hasn't learner a goddamn thing since.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Cameron still believes he can still be a NHL coach. Get over it, Dave. that ship sailed in 2011 Buffalo. He hasn't learner a goddamn thing since.
The team has a quality chance of winning the tournament, but yeah I wouldn't want to see Cameron back. I am hoping that he is not the coach in 2023. This tournament grew on me as it drew nearer, but I still care about performing better at that tournament (and other regularly scheduled WJC tournaments) than I do this one. If the team wins then good for them all, Cameron included, but it will have been enough.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I 100% agree with this. Instead of major line shuffles that destroy what was working great in the offensive zone, we just need to work in a practice on some D coverage. Don‘t mess with the parts of your game that are working.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
First period of this Czech game is going to be very interesting.

If Canada is unable to get things going with the new lines offensively, I hope that Dave has it in him to make some necessary changes to revert back to old pairs, combos, etc that has generated offense in the past tourney games. There's no reason to get super cute or experimental even with the Greig injury, which, yes, is a pretty massive blow for this team.

I'm not holding my breath, but let's see what happens.

You don't want to let a team like the Czech hang around and build even more confidence the longer the game stays close. They've already been in a dog fight and faced some adversity in the tourney, especially the USA game.

Canada needs to put their foot on the gas early and never look back.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I 100% agree with this. Instead of major line shuffles that destroy what was working great in the offensive zone, we just need to work in a practice on some D coverage. Don‘t mess with the parts of your game that are working.
An article from TSN said that Canada's final practice focused on breakouts and defensive zone coverage, which is correct. It also featured quotes from McTavish on how he needs to be better defensively and noted how he took Greig's spot on the matchup line. Wouldn't be a shock if McTavish is used as the matchup centre with Greig gone, as strange as that might sound to use the tournament's top offensive player in that role.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I hope we win gold but Cameron’s management has really baffled me; it comes off as vindictive. Scratching a first line player in Othmann because of penalties in a warm up game, sitting your most talented Goalscorer because of inzone play, and putting your best centreman with two fourth line players because of a bad game. In a 60+ game CHL season that might be ok, to send a message in a game or two, but not in a 7 game tournament
Roy is not a 4th line player hahaha he's the 2nd most used forward so far on the best team of the WJC 2022 behind McTavish.

Roy has been brutal but just keeps getting moved to the best scenario over and over again. Second like finally clicked. Let's get the Othmann McTavish Bedard line back together here. Losing Grieg is a massive loss knew he was done right away. Separated shoulder. Too bad more bad luck for sens prospects/ players with shoulder injuries. Going to be a tough game against the Czechs.
Brutal? Roy have been dominant so far, he's been used so often by Cameron for a good reason, he's dominant.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
The funny thing is that I didn't think that Othmann and Bedard made any egregious errors in the d-zone. The issue has been the inability of the D and Center to break up the opposition cycle. It's not like wingers have been trying to dangle at their own blueline or making risky passes - the only time the puck comes to them in the d-zone is hard rims or broken passes with no space that the opposition d can pinch down on.

I think Cameron had his mind made up before the tourney that Othmann and Bedard were liabilities defensively and instead of analyzing what the issue is, he sees them hemmed in their zone for a period and jumps the gun. Now even if you reunite that line the damage to confidence might be irreparable. It just seems bizarre to me that you have now lost the best line in the tourney over 1 bad a period... A period in which they scored 2 goals and weren't on for any against!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
When I've watched these games and Roys play I have to admit I've not once had go through my head......." man, is this guy dominant out there"

As for Cameron and his line juggling, all i can say is he better figure it out, his career aspirations may well depend on it.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Roy has been dominant??? Is that a serious post? He was ok early on but shown nothing since. He should not be a key forward for us.

And MacTavish as the match-up center is so monumentally stupid it sounds exactly like something that Cameron would do.

Why are we worried about matching up with Czechia when they have no forwards better than what we have?

Reactions: bert

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Roy has been dominant??? Is that a serious post? He was ok early on but shown nothing since. He should not be a key forward for us.

And MacTavish as the match-up center is so monumentally stupid it sounds exactly like something that Cameron would do.

Why are we worried about matching up with Czechia when they have no forwards better than what we have?

It is kind of funny that some people are acting like Czechia is some type of legit threat to win today. They will not be able to replicate that performance again, not against Canada. They wouldn't beat USA again today if they were playing them.

They really made things hard on us, but USA still carried the play the entire game. They got sticks on nearly every key chance. They certainly produced a few decent scoring chances to give themselves the chance to get a couple goals on the board, but nothing crazy. USA had a good, persistent roster that worked hard. But we lacked having a few elite players that could emerge and get the job done when things weren't going our way. Canada has enough of those guys on this roster that will find a way if they did end up in that tight of a situation.

I'm not taking anything away from Czechia. They showed up, they brought everything they had, they gave themselves a chance and enough things went there way that day.

Reactions: Statsy and MM917

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It is kind of funny that some people are acting like Czechia is some type of legit threat to win today. They will not be able to replicate that performance again, not against Canada. They wouldn't beat USA again today if they were playing them.

They really made things hard on us, but USA still carried the play the entire game. They got sticks on nearly every key chance. They certainly produced a few decent scoring chances to give themselves the chance to get a couple goals on the board, but nothing crazy. USA had a good, persistent roster that worked hard. But we lacked having a few elite players that could emerge and get the job done when things weren't going our way. Canada has enough of those guys on this roster that will find a way if they did end up in that tight of a situation.

I'm not taking anything away from Czechia. They showed up, they brought everything they had, they gave themselves a chance and enough things went there way that day.
I disagree on one thing, H. I thought Czechia played a perfect game against a superior opponent - Czechia was the better team on that day.

Having said that, those 2 teams could play 10 times and the U.S. would win 8 so... it happens.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Roy's been quiet despite the point productions, but he's been reliable defensively, and the reason they put him and Dufour on the top line is to have a defensively capable line.
They had one when Greig was healthy, but now that he's out, they have to use McTavish against the opposition's top line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Roy is not a 4th line player hahaha he's the 2nd most used forward so far on the best team of the WJC 2022 behind McTavish.

Brutal? Roy have been dominant so far, he's been used so often by Cameron for a good reason, he's dominant.
He's been invisible and a play killer. Montreal fan of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad