GDT: 2022 Playoffs: WCQF Game 1 | WC2: Predators @ C1: Colorado Avalanche | 5.3.22 | 8:30p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't think I've ever seen an NHL game in which so many players for one team kept falling down constantly. Something wrong with our skates? The ice? Or was that the gameplan?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don't think I've ever seen an NHL game in which so many players for one team kept falling down constantly. Something wrong with our skates? The ice? Or was that the gameplan?
Just trying to see how many times they can make Willy say keystone cops.

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
Game plan for game 1 success:
- stay out of penalty box
- score 1st goal or at least do something to quiet the crowd. Transition the momentum.
- play physical against a more skilled team

This is not a rocket science strategy when you are the underdog.

Actual:
- take penalty 2 minutes in and after the whistle
- give up PP goal 11 seconds later
- give up 2 more goals several minutes later, including a SHG
- establish no forecheck and let opponent dictate 60 minutes

The team does not look physically ready for playoff hockey, and when your game plan folds 3 minutes in the game, it became impossible to recover.

Reactions: adsfan and shadow1

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
1651675613989.png

Was just referring to Rittich and Ingram who together in net at the same time could not stop the Avs

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Game plan for game 1 success:
- stay out of penalty box
- score 1st goal or at least do something to quiet the crowd. Transition the momentum.
- play physical against a more skilled team

This is not a rocket science strategy when you are the underdog.

Actual:
- take penalty 2 minutes in and after the whistle
- give up PP goal 11 seconds later
- give up 2 more goals several minutes later, including a SHG
- establish no forecheck and let opponent dictate 60 minutes

The team does not look physically ready for playoff hockey, and when your game plan folds 3 minutes in the game, it became impossible to recover.
I agree with everything but the last comment. Hynes should have called a TO after the second goal to stop the momentum and fix the defense.

He did not think to do that because he isn't a good in game coach. His plans did not work out so well. The only thing he did right was pulling Rittich. That came after 5 goals and the game was already lost. He could have waited until period 2 and it would have been 7-0 by then.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I agree with everything but the last comment. Hynes should have called a TO after the second goal to stop the momentum and fix the defense.

He did not think to do that because he isn't a good in game coach. His plans did not work out so well. The only thing he did right was pulling Rittich. That came after 5 goals and the game was already lost. He could have waited until period 2 and it would have been 7-0 by then.
He should have done the timeout and goalie pull a lot earlier, whether after goal 2 or 3, agreed. However, I have a feeling all it might have accomplished was make the result "less embarrassing". Or maybe it still wouldn't have, because then Colorado wouldn't have sat back as much as they were able to. Who knows.

Anyway, fundamentally, no matter what our coach does, I feel like this team is simply not mentally ready for these playoffs. I don't believe it's possible for them to be "gassed" or physically unready. (Aside from one or two who are probably carrying in injuries). They train all year and haven't had a particularly onerous schedule. No moreso than any other team anyhow. The just are mentally completely unfocused and unable to execute cohesively right now, for whatever reason.

I can't imagine how the coaching staff could possibly fix this in just a few days, unfortunately. It has been going on long enough that if they didn't figure it out in the last month or more in time for last night's game, then there is not likely any miracle suddenly coming tomorrow.

The best we can probably hope for is the Avs getting a bit cocky or sloppy and Ingram standing on his head. And that's not much to go on either. :(

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He should have done the timeout and goalie pull a lot earlier, whether after goal 2 or 3, agreed. However, I have a feeling all it might have accomplished was make the result "less embarrassing". Or maybe it still wouldn't have, because then Colorado wouldn't have sat back as much as they were able to. Who knows.

Anyway, fundamentally, no matter what our coach does, I feel like this team is simply not mentally ready for these playoffs. I don't believe it's possible for them to be "gassed" or physically unready. (Aside from one or two who are probably carrying in injuries). They train all year and haven't had a particularly onerous schedule. No moreso than any other team anyhow. The just are mentally completely unfocused and unable to execute cohesively right now, for whatever reason.

I can't imagine how the coaching staff could possibly fix this in just a few days, unfortunately. It has been going on long enough that if they didn't figure it out in the last month or more in time for last night's game, then there is not likely any miracle suddenly coming tomorrow.

The best we can probably hope for is the Avs getting a bit cocky or sloppy and Ingram standing on his head. And that's not much to go on either. :(
I'm going to disagree with this.

Carrier played 77 games this season, having a previous high of 19.
Fabbro played 66, his career high (64 previously).
Jeannot played 81, previous high 15.
Kunin played 82, previous high 63.
McCarron played 51, previous high 31.
Tomasino played 76.
Trenin played 80, previous high 45.

Especially for these younger guys, who aren't used to playing the full season slog game in and game out, their bodies are just going to run out of steam. Many are also probably nursing injuries. Even a fitness freak like Jeannot has looked completely out of gas over the last several weeks. Yes, other teams are similarly affected, but this team plays a style that wears us down and depletes us physically to a far greater extent than most of the other teams still in it at that point--we've played a "playoff style" game for much of the regular season, and it takes its toll.

It is also true they seem mentally scattered and have "lost the plot" systematically over the last several weeks. Not clear whether that is just mental fatigue, too much focus on individual production, trying to do "too much," or probably some mix of all of those.

Reactions: Armourboy

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

Tomasino played 76.

Especially for these younger guys, who aren't used to playing the full season slog game in and game out, their bodies are just going to run out of steam. Many are also probably nursing injuries. Even a fitness freak like Jeannot has looked completely out of gas over the last several weeks. Yes, other teams are similarly affected, but this team plays a style that wears us down and depletes us physically to a far greater extent than most of the other teams still in it at that point--we've played a "playoff style" game for much of the regular season, and it takes its toll.

It is also true they seem mentally scattered and have "lost the plot" systematically over the last several weeks. Not clear whether that is just mental fatigue, too much focus on individual production, trying to do "too much," or probably some mix of all of those.

And I hope Poile and Hynes recognize this and don't panic like the fanbase. This was never supposed to be a contending season, the playoffs are just a bonus at this stage of the retool/rebuild. Learn lessons, deal with the growing pains and hope that it pays off down the road. Lots of good young talent still coming up in the pipeline, the future is bright!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Tomasino played 76.

yeah, I'd guess the mental wall has effected the younger guys as much as anything.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
We lost Game 1. Score doesn't matter. It's over. Just win Game 2.

They're not that good and we're not that bad.

All we proved tonight is, when they play great and we play bad, it's gonna be a blowout.

Just play good in Game 2 and we'll see how it plays out.

We beat these guys 3 times this year.

Reactions: weeze

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

Tomasino played 76.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head right here. Im not sure that most that are in panic mode take this into consideration.

Most of the young guys play a very heavy, physical style game to add to the fatigue. I’m hoping that they are able to evaluate this season as players and throttle back during the regular season next year on their physicality enough so that they still have enough gas in the tank to carry it into the playoffs. The only member of the Herd line that seems to have much left is Sissons and he’s the veteran on the line that’s been through all this for several years already.

I’m also hoping that Tolvanen really spends the off-season working on his shot. I think he has spent so much time developing the rest of his game (and he’s done a great job on that) that that wicked shot he brought with him initially has been neglected. He’s only 23 so there’s still time for him to get it back on track.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
And I hope Poile and Hynes recognize this and don't panic like the fanbase. This was never supposed to be a contending season, the playoffs are just a bonus at this stage of the retool/rebuild. Learn lessons, deal with the growing pains and hope that it pays off down the road. Lots of good young talent still coming up in the pipeline, the future is bright!
I doubt they will. And while we're starting to see "Poile out" posts lurking in here and there, there's right about a 0 percent chance he loses his job, regardless of how we play the rest of the series, likely regardless of whatever happens to Forsberg. Many had this team pegged as a #7 in division at the start of the season. Though it seems a huge let down with how we finished out the season (and how game 1 went), just making the playoffs was exceeding a lot of expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad