2022/23 Roster Thread II: Worth Every Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
I don't think the current roster would be "god Awful." Last season was a mess in every aspect.

Adding a healthy Couts and Hayes is a huge boost, as is young players like York, Zamula, Cates, Tippett, Frost, Allison, Laczynski and eventually Foerster et al.
TDA in effect replaces Ellis.

The key is Tort's ability to get the most out of a young roster, they may start slow but they'll be a bitch to play against after a couple months. And with young legs they'll be able to pressure for 60 minutes.

I'd have preferred they kept Lindblom, ignored JG, and moved JVR when they could garner an asset by retaining salary.

You play the kids, see who emerges, take your top 10 draft pick next summer and add Gauthier after a year of playing center in college. Give him a season to adjust to NHL speed, then you can move Hayes with two years left on his deal in the summer of 2024, have 2 1st rd picks and a lot of cap room. If Foerster is ready or Allison healthy, you can also move out Atkinson.

That's a two year reload, at the end of which Couts is your only player over 30.

But first you have to throw Clarke and Holmgren under a bus and exile Scott somewhere in Comcast land.
LOL…if anyone needed proof this guy’s posts are pure trolling, here it is.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
The problem is if they DON'T somehow get JG you KNOW that idiot CF is going to blow whatever cap space on a middling mid-6 player. Talking huge overpay for said player. You know because bias for action and retooling. The Great Retooling by CF.

Reactions: Danko

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I really hope they miss out on JG and go into the season with the current roster. What a god awful team that is going to be. Going to be great to see a 3/4 empty arena in October
Havent we learned by now that hitting rock bottom just makes them do more dumb shit? There is no epiphany to be had...the problems are rotten to the core.

They could go full rebuild like many want and would screw it up. See hextall.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem is if they DON'T somehow get JG you KNOW that idiot CF is going to blow whatever cap space on a middling mid-6 player. Talking huge overpay for said player. You know because bias for action and rettoling. The Great Retooling by CF.
Well, if the JG ordeal drags on, there may not be any mid-6 players available.
Then he'll be forced to bargain hunt.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think the current roster would be "god Awful." Last season was a mess in every aspect.

Adding a healthy Couts and Hayes is a huge boost, as is young players like York, Zamula, Cates, Tippett, Frost, Allison, Laczynski and eventually Foerster et al.
TDA in effect replaces Ellis.

The key is Tort's ability to get the most out of a young roster, they may start slow but they'll be a bitch to play against after a couple months. And with young legs they'll be able to pressure for 60 minutes.

I'd have preferred they kept Lindblom, ignored JG, and moved JVR when they could garner an asset by retaining salary.

You play the kids, see who emerges, take your top 10 draft pick next summer and add Gauthier after a year of playing center in college. Give him a season to adjust to NHL speed, then you can move Hayes with two years left on his deal in the summer of 2024, have 2 1st rd picks and a lot of cap room. If Foerster is ready or Allison healthy, you can also move out Atkinson.

That's a two year reload, at the end of which Couts is your only player over 30.

But first you have to throw Clarke and Holmgren under a bus and exile Scott somewhere in Comcast land.

You forgot to mention firing Fletcher.

Every year you say they need to play youth and then they go out of their way to avoid doing that and you defend it.

Reactions: Cody Webster

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Gonna sue Capfriendly for misrepresentation on Flyers draft picks for next 3 yrs. Apparently we have given away picks that are still there under our logo…

past years?
2022: out 2-4
2021: out 1
2020: out 3-7

5 picks in 3 years.

Should have been the other way around, sure. But no panic

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
• All eyes are on New Jersey and Philadelphia for Gaudreau. The Flyers have indicated James van Riemsdyk will not be traded, because they are not willing to pay what it will cost to move the cap hit. One source indicated it was similar to what Toronto sent Carolina — a first-round draft pick — for the Hurricanes to take Patrick Marleau in 2019. And teams prefer Philadelphia’s 2023 pick, not the Florida 2024 selection acquired for Claude Giroux.

What would be the play then if not JVR? Provorov and a cheap replacement?

inB4 chuckle f*** trades the 23 1st anyways...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Josh Manson, who is significantly better than Fisto, just re-upped with COL, 4 years, 4.5 million per.

Cuck is a true masterpiece of pure incompetence
Some guys also like to keep winning and eventually that means you gotta take less than you would get otherwise. Think that’s the case here. You want guys to sign for less, then be a team where happiness can be bought

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Some guys also like to keep winning and eventually that means you gotta take less than you would get otherwise. Think that’s the case here. You want guys to sign for less, then be a team where happiness can be bought
I get that, but giving 5 years to Fisto at 5.1 per is just beyond stupid.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Remember Chuck saying they weren’t in bad shape on the salary cap. You figured they would have moved salary as soon as they could. Similar to the coaching interviews. You would have thought they would have planned this out months before.

Worst possible case. I don’t see them getting the salary to get Johnny, I don’t see anyone taking any of our contracts in trades.

He has been talking a big game about potential trades and trying to make the team better but when rubber meets the road he is the wrong guy for this situation he has put himself in.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I said it yesterday. I’ll repeat it.

I do not comprehend the panic about not having the cap room to sign Gaudreau.

With an Ellis LTIR & the off-season 10% allowance, they’ve got like $18M.

They’re barely going to be over the 82.5 if you consider the Ellis LTIR.

This is panic over nothing.

Reactions: tucson83

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I said it yesterday. I’ll repeat it.

I do not comprehend the panic about not having the cap room to sign Gaudreau.

With an Ellis LTIR & the off-season 10% allowance, they’ve got like $18M.

They’re barely going to be over the 82.5 if you consider the Ellis LTIR.

This is panic over nothing.
Again, how many healthy forwards are in that lineup and who are they?

Reactions: Danko

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Again, how many healthy forwards are in that lineup and who are they?
I created a full roster that's only 4-5 million over the cap and that includes all of JVR's 7 million.

Gaudreau Hayes Atkinson
Farabee Couturier Konecny
Cates Laughton Tippett
Frost Laczynski Allison
P Brown JVR

Provorov DeAngelo
Sanheim Risto
York Attard
Seeler

Hart
Fedotov

They'd have all summer to shed the 4-5 million that they're over.

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
I created a full roster that's only 4-5 million over the cap and that includes all of JVR's 7 million.

Gaudreau Hayes Atkinson
Farabee Couturier Konecny
Cates Laughton Tippett
Frost Laczynski Allison
P Brown JVR

Provorov DeAngelo
Sanheim Risto
York Attard
Seeler

Hart
Fedotov

They'd have all summer to shed the 4-5 million that they're over.

Every team in the league would have them at their mercy.
they would be forced to trade every number 1 pick for the next 3 seasons

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
bucci making exact sense. no need to get tony first...why do anything without getting johnny if you wanted him.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad