2022/23 Roster Thread II: Worth Every Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers isn't a horrible 4LW, just overpaid.

With Lindblom gone (though to be fair, he didn't look comfortable in a 4LW role) and JVR staying for now, Cates is the 3LW and Ratcliffe or Willman the short-term alternatives at 4LW if Laughton is at 4C, or Laczynski at 4C. If JVR is moved, Laughton moves up to 2C.

It's more of a "what's the point" move? Should have just kept Lindblom, fighting has even less value in today's NHL than chasing hits.

This idea of toughness is archaic, in today's league, toughness is as much about the willingness to take hits to keep control of the puck than it is giving hits, and fighting is a good way to put your team in a hole.

The Flyers do need to be harder to play against, but not by adding fighters, but adding more 6'0 200 lb forwards with speed that can apply real pressure on the forecheck and get back to harass opponents in their D-zone.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Bobby Clarke on a podcast in 5 years:

“He shut his door, he locked the doors; he was the boss and nobody else was part of it. We end up getting to free agency, and we end up signing Nic Deslauriers. None of our scouts wanted Nic Deslaurier. I don’t know where Deslauriers should have gone, after his performances in Minnesota — he’s a pretty terrible player. But certainly, they wanted Gaudreau."

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
at this point, I wish I had never watched the 1987 finals because I would have never become a huge Flyer fan without that experience.

I should have been running around the neighborhood getting into mischief at night instead of staying home and watching games during that playoff run.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I agree that 4 years is too long. I just don't agree with people's hyperbole that Deslauriers is the worst player in the league. That's absurd. There is plenty else to complain about with this dog shit team and the utterly incomprehensible decisions Chuck has made.
Deslaurier is going to be liked by the fans going to the games....likely one of the only things to cheer about will be his scraps because this team is horseshit...probably why Fletcher did it....give the diehards something to cheer about to forget about how pathetic his team is..... utter incompetance

Reactions: Evergreen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Deslauriers isn't a horrible 4LW, just overpaid.

With Lindblom gone (though to be fair, he didn't look comfortable in a 4LW role) and JVR staying for now, Cates is the 3LW and Ratcliffe or Willman the short-term alternatives at 4LW if Laughton is at 4C, or Laczynski at 4C. If JVR is moved, Laughton moves up to 2C.

It's more of a "what's the point" move? Should have just kept Lindblom, fighting has even less value in today's NHL than chasing hits.

This idea of toughness is archaic, in today's league, toughness is as much about the willingness to take hits to keep control of the puck than it is giving hits, and fighting is a good way to put your team in a hole.

The Flyers do need to be harder to play against, but not by adding fighters, but adding more 6'0 200 lb forwards with speed that can apply real pressure on the forecheck and get back to harass opponents in their D-zone.

Actually Deslauriers is both horrible and overpaid.

None of those prospects are playing shy of every alternative getting hurt.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What if Fletcher didn't feel JG is worth it because he thinks this team is so good they don't need him? That they just got unlucky last year? That might be why so many slobs are being returned. Why else would he feel the need to get this band back together?

• Haha
Reactions: Lindberg

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i want us to be 500 points out by like..November and just implode the team at the TDL...scorched earth...keep like..York, Bee and Hart

Reactions: Evergreen

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Had to go play mens night to get a break from this shit. Man the empathy from everyone I saw , couldn’t even bug me. They all actually feel bad.

And that Fletch press conference was maybe the worst I’ve ever seen. How do you win fans back , we signed Deslaurier baby , pack em in.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i want us to be 500 points out by like..November and just implode the team at the TDL...scorched earth...keep like..York, Bee and Hart
Unfortunately there are few players who will be in demand at the TDL, you need a veteran who can help a play off team in his contract year - teams generally aren't gong to take on a lot of term.

JVR, Sanheim (if they don't extend him), Brown, MacEwen, Braun, Seeler.

If you want to move Hayes or Atkinson, hope they have big seasons then move them next summer. Same with TDA.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Had to go play mens night to get a break from this shit. Man the empathy from everyone I saw , couldn’t even bug me. They all actually feel bad.

And that Fletch press conference was maybe the worst I’ve ever seen. How do you win fans back , we signed Deslaurier baby , pack em in.

I guarantee they are fully stunned by the negative reactions raining down.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Deslauriers is a younger Nate Thompson who does even less but does do it slightly better. He’s also going to wear 44 it won’t seem any different anyways.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers is a younger Nate Thompson who does even less but does do it slightly better. He’s also going to wear 44 it won’t seem any different anyways.
A younger Nate Thompson wasn't a bad player, too bad we got the version that had aged into vinegar.

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Ive seen many posts about the current lineup, which looks really bad on paper, yet they all seem to include both frost and tippett, who remain unsigned. Same for all the lesser rfas. With close to 7 mill tied up in tda and deslauriers, theres again no cap space left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest