2022/23 Roster Thread II: Worth Every Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seriously. Imagine the reporting on this. They didn't want to give up a draft pick for a guaranteed Gaudreau but also WE'RE BACK AND READY TO COMPETE. PLEASE BUY SANTA SACKS.

They did want to yield half a draft for TDA and a big chunk of cap space though lol.

They're close to missing out on nearly two full drafts worth of picks in Fletcher's tenure without competing for even a moment

Diaper Mask Bandits

Jan 15, 2022
if gaudreau signs somewhere else, could there be a silver lining?
could the organization learn a lesson?

You don't recklessly spend high salary cap figures on average or even bad talent because it will prevent you from making future moves when a good opportunity arises? This situation is a clear example of that.

nah, .... they'll make the same mistake a couple of years from now.

I hope people like Tuscon are happy. The Flyers did exactly what he wanted and this is the result.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frankly, if Fletcher’s job is at stake and he’s not doing this, then he should be fired immediately, unless they think Gaudreau always had the Devils at the top. Of course he should’ve been fired already, but I’m looking at this through the enablers’ position.
Well there's always Palat and Burakovsky as backups.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Frankly, if Fletcher’s job is at stake and he’s not doing this, then he should be fired immediately, unless they think Gaudreau always had the Devils at the top. Of course he should’ve been fired already, but I’m looking at this through the enablers’ position.

The Authentics won’t interpret it that way. All they will see is the rumours of JG wanting to play for Philly, for many years now, and to be quite honest, it all makes sense as to why he’d want to come back. Less pressure on a crap team, best friend on the team, etc. I think the chance of NJ being his top choice are basically non existent. It all comes down to salary cap.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
if gaudreau signs somewhere else, could there be a silver lining?
could the organization learn a lesson?

You don't recklessly spend high salary cap figures on average or even bad talent because it will prevent you from making future moves when a good opportunity arises? This situation is a clear example of that.

nah, .... they'll make the same mistake a couple of years from now.

I hope people like Tuscon is happy. The Flyers did exactly what he wanted and this is the result.
How's that? Opportunity cost is a thing, you say?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The Authentics won’t interpret it that way. All they will see is the rumours of JG wanting to play for Philly, for many years now, and to be quite honest, it all makes sense as to why he’d want to come back. Less pressure on a crap team, best friend on the team, etc. I think the chance of NJ being his top choice are basically non existent. It all comes down to salary cap.
Reading some stuff from Calgary, and it seems JG really wants to be in Philly for family reasons more than anything else. Interesting how family concerns seem to be driving decision-making more than in the past. I totally get it though.

Reactions: BiggE

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
If the only thing standing between Gaudreau and the Flyers is JVR's contract, that contract is getting moved within the next few hours. It does not matter the cost. It's going to get moved.

My guess is that it will be for the 2023 1st with Top 2 or 3 protection to Chicago.

I'm shocked there's anyone that doubts that. This has nothing to do with how you or I would approach free agency or the org as a whole. If he picks them, they're doing it.
This situation Fletcher has backed himself into is our version of the Stanley Cup

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't really trust anything reported this morning short of a done deal to any team. If you're Fletcher, you're trying to do this, and you have a shred of competency, you leak that the ask is too high for JVR. There's no downside.

Now if all of a sudden Lebrun says Provorov is available, that's different. JVR is the known. The damage is done there.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't really trust anything reported this morning short of a done deal to any team. If you're Fletcher, you're trying to do this, and you have a shred of competency, you leak that the ask is too high for JVR. There's no downside.

Now if all of a sudden Lebrun says Provorov is available, that's different. JVR is the known. The damage is done there.
Lot of negotiations going through the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad