2022-2023 Non-Stars NHL Discussion

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
At what point? Let's say we offer Gury, Dobby, and a 2024 1st for Tarasenko at 50%. That seems pretty worth it for us, and it's not a huge favor from the Blues unless they take it over a better offer. This is a lowball offer, I recognize.

Your conclusions are nice and all but it's your reasoning that's going to make them stick.
There's no chance St Louis takes that for Tarasenko. To call that low ball is an insult to low ball offers everywhere. That's a favor from St Louis.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Way too early to talk about deadline targets, but Artem Zub is the guy who's getting me hot and bothered. I'm sure Ottawa will do everything in their power to retain him, but if he wants to go to a better team, Dallas should be all over that.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
i guess of the 2 5pmCST games, BOS/VAN (both on back to backs) looks like the next best option
nice sunday for hockey :)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Huh, Curtis Douglas didn't become a NHLer after all for the Leafs like their fans thought he would.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Man, so many good teams took the night off around the league tonight and got beaten by a worse team, maybe I can't fault the Stars for sleeping through 2 periods and instead should praise them for shaking off the inevitable?

Reactions: LT

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Man, so many good teams took the night off around the league tonight and got beaten by a worse team, maybe I can't fault the Stars for sleeping through 2 periods and instead should praise them for shaking off the inevitable?

a win is a win

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Bowness just knows how to beat the Avs, Jets smoked 'em 5-0. Colorado can't handle boring hockey I guess, same reason the Stars beat up on them last season, and why I was hoping to meet them in the first round.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Rick Bowness' Jets have scored 5 goals or more in 6 of their last 7 games. They had only done it twice before that this season but idk whats different and I don't like it.

Maybe Paul Maurice was just pure garbage

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Rick Bowness' Jets have scored 5 goals or more in 6 of their last 7 games. They had only done it twice before that this season but idk whats different and I don't like it.

Maybe Paul Maurice was just pure garbage
The thing that bugs me about Bowness is he waited till he left Dallas to evolve as a coach. Spent his whole time here as HC coaching the team to turtle, now it's pretty obvious he's not coaching that way in Winnipeg.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The thing that bugs me about Bowness is he waited till he left Dallas to evolve as a coach. Spent his whole time here as HC coaching the team to turtle, now it's pretty obvious he's not coaching that way in Winnipeg.
I don't think this take is accurate. Bowness adapted to the structure of both individual teams, which are completely different beasts imo.

Also- he's quite fortunate to have Hellebuyck in net. A stud goalie can hide major warts over the course of a season.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
If that team slumps I bet he teaches them the power of the turtle when it’s tied technique and then sticks with it. At least that’s what I hope.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I don't think this take is accurate. Bowness adapted to the structure of both individual teams, which are completely different beasts imo.

Also- he's quite fortunate to have Hellebuyck in net. A stud goalie can hide major warts over the course of a season.
We're seeing right now that this isn't really true, Bowness left a ton of offense on the table with the Stars.

Reactions: Sports2

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We're seeing right now that this isn't really true, Bowness left a ton of offense on the table with the Stars.
How much of that has to do with JRob/Miro/Hintz entering their primes or this team shooting at 10.3% at even strength compared to 7-7.6% under Bones? I think Bones instilled a defensive foundation to this core that is also invaluable. That kind of hockey flat out stunk- but I think in the long run, it might've made a lot of the players on this team more detailed.

Talk to me when DeBoer takes this team to a cup final and we can revisit things.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How much of that has to do with JRob/Miro/Hintz entering their primes or this team shooting at 10.3% at even strength compared to 7-7.6% under Bones? I think Bones instilled a defensive foundation to this core that is also invaluable. That kind of hockey flat out stunk- but I think in the long run, it might've made a lot of the players on this team more detailed.

Talk to me when DeBoer takes this team to a cup final and we can revisit things.

The issue to me has been since the Stars made the finals the team never really played like they did during the finals run again. Benns offense had dropped off a cliff since the finals run and it wasn't just decline as we can see now.

Reactions: LT and Sports2

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
The issue to me has been since the Stars made the finals the team never really played like they did during the finals run again. Benns offense had dropped off a cliff since the finals run and it wasn't just decline as we can see now.
TBF Nill did mention Benn did conditioning and took things to a different level this off-season. But I wonder how much his coaching style adapted due to expectations. He probably had room to experiment with a less conservative game with no one having any expectations out of the team this season.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Well, Benn didn't blow out a core muscle training this offseason which helps immensely.

Quite frankly, Bones rode through a surprise exit of Monty and a COVID shortened season into a team with a few million in bum cap space and zero defensive depth and broken goalies. I don't think Bones is a terrible coach, but he got dealt an awkward hand every year and managed to squeeze out decent seasons.

I think we're going to trend back to what they've been outputting each year as they get tired and the depth woes come to light. And if they don't address the mediocre production and control from the bottom of the lineup again.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Stars went from 2.5/2.54 xGF/xGA (5v5 per60) to 2.71/2.65 from Bowness -> DeBoer. I sense the Marchment signing plays a role here, as he plays a high event offensive style.

WPG went from 2.57/2.76 xGF/xGA from Maurice to 2.68/2.69 under Bowness

Bowness has always seemed to me like a drills and motivation sort of coach, and he accomplished in WPG the same thing he accomplished in DAL, get the players to buy in to a layered defensive system. Hellebuyck clearly benefits from his teammates playing more predictably in front of him. But despite WPG's record this year, the underlying metrics show they are still fundamentally a Bowness team - low event and treads water at even strength - but I think the entire idea of his system is that sure you give up the same chance volume but you're giving your players better resources for defending those chances, while the offense infamously will "take care of itself" and as long as it does, the system works quite well.

I'm having trouble getting a grasp on DeBoer's coaching style, though. Defense has been the elephant in the room all year, and so far any attempt to adjust has caused the offense to dry up. Fall behind and let loose has been the recipe for offense so far. I doubt the players are executing the system to perfection yet, and that's probably why we're seeing that the players who are grasping the positioning requirements quickly are getting disproportionately high ice time (Suter).

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

Did he instill it, or continue Monty's system that was also a continuation of Hitch's system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad