2021-2022 AUS Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I do think X are favourites to win the AUS. UNB is not a lock to go to Nationals like they usually are.
There isn't a guarantee for any team to get to Nationals, especially if it's a best of 3 series.
Basically a weekend series like CanadaWest, where Saskatchewan outshot, but dropped game 1 to Calgary and now must win two straight....
If the lower seed gets game 1, than it could pave the way for an upset.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
There isn't a guarantee for any team to get to Nationals, especially if it's a best of 3 series.
Basically a weekend series like CanadaWest, where Saskatchewan outshot, but dropped game 1 to Calgary and now must win two straight....
If the lower seed gets game 1, than it could pave the way for an upset.

Sask won last night 4-0. Game 3 tonight.

Edit: Sask lost 4-2 in game 3 so they won't be coming East. Babcock has carried his Leaf luck to Saskatoon.

Last edited:

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Sask won last night 4-0. Game 3 tonight.

Edit: Sask lost 4-2 in game 3 so they won't be coming East. Babcock has carried his Leaf luck to Saskatoon.
You referred to that as the Babcock effect back in September or was that something different

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
1st step for SMU with a 2-0 win over ACA tonight. A win on the Island and SMU finishes 4th. 2 losses for DAL and SMU win puts SMU 3rd. UdeM has to win both their games with an ACA loss on Sat against UPEI for UdeM to host the 6-7 play in game, which will be played Tuesday according to my sources. Otherwise ACA will host.

Games Friday will be interesting: SMU @ UPEI and DAL @ UdeM

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
1st step for SMU with a 2-0 win over ACA tonight. A win on the Island and SMU finishes 4th. 2 losses for DAL and SMU win puts SMU 3rd. UdeM has to win both their games with an ACA loss on Sat against UPEI for UdeM to host the 6-7 play in game, which will be played Tuesday according to my sources. Otherwise ACA will host.

Games Friday will be interesting: SMU @ UPEI and DAL @ UdeM
SMU, after losing it's top 2 forwards to pro, seems to have found their form.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Is Welsh injured, or are they just riding the hot hand for the time being?

Welsh has not been "great" this year. So, yes they are riding the hot hand. Sumarah has played well in his 3 games. Pucks seem to hit him which could be good luck or good positioning. He's not an "active" goalie, so I'd give the edge to positioning.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
No!!!!! I thought we were over this.

I heard from a "reliable" source that UPEI has 8-9 cases on the team. That was my 1st thought when I saw the cancellations. Whatever the real number, it appears to be Covid on the team.

Edit: Just got a Twitter reply from UPEI Hockey saying that playoff games have not been effected, so that's a good thing. Wishing the best for the players who MAY be infected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So, if I read the AUS tie breaking rules correctly …. Points per game is the first tie breaker when a different number of games are played.

With the UPEI announcement - SMU and UPEI are both done and are tied with 22pts and UPEI wins the Points Percentage tie breaker for 4th and home ice versus SMU. Kind of crazy that each team’s GF & GA are the same for a +/- of zero.

This also means SMU has lost the chance to win that game and get to 3rd - now they’re 5th. That sucks.

This weekend’s game now have no impact on the standings unless UDeM wins both to jump past Acadia.

Acadia/UDeM in the play-in game with the winner meeting Dal. SMU at UPEI

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With the COVID cancellations - ranking will be points per game instead of average. I read that somewhere right?

I think so. SMU should have home ice against UPEI. DAL is 3rd and UdeM has to win both games this weekend to get home ice for the play in game. That game will be played on Tuesday and the 1/4 final series will start probably Thursday

SFX and UNB are playing just to see Peds get mad at Gards. Obviously, I hope no one gets hurt or suspended this weekend.

Edit: I just saw your post about uneven games. Interesting.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I think so. SMU should have home ice against UPEI. DAL is 3rd and UdeM has to win both games this weekend to get home ice for the play in game. That game will be played on Tuesday and the 1/4 final series will start probably Thursday

SFX and UNB are playing just to see Peds get mad at Gards. Obviously, I hope no one gets hurt or suspended this weekend.

Edit: I just saw your post about uneven games. Interesting.

All correct, except the play in game has been moved to Wednesday, either at Wolfville or here in town.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB(#1) 3-2 vs X(#3) in a shootout.
Very entertaining game last night, with UNB holding the territorial advantage, outshooting X 47-26.
With UNB, shots were 16-2 at one point, Raymakers for X, making several nice saves.
After jumping out to a 2-0 lead, UNB had chances to score, but didn't take advantage.
X played much better in the third period, before sending it into overtime.
Parenteau was solid in nets for UNB.
Gilmour and Keating were missing from UNB's lineup.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
We just found out that the math is not important and that Acadia is going to finish 6th no matter what based on missed games.

Are you coming to ACA on Wed?

So, even if UdeM wins tonight and has 16 points to ACA 15 points, ACA will finish 6th?

They must be using the OR part of this rule. Seems strange to have more points than the other guy and finish lower. I understand the concept, but it's just strange.

"If teams end with a different number of games played and a tie exists and/or when the games lost could have been material to the standings:
  1. The team with the better Point Percentage (Point Percentage = Points earned / Games Played) will be declared the higher ranked team"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad