2021-2022 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Solid rumor: The AUS "Cap" will be removed for this coming season.

I don't know for certain but there may be a requirement for X number of Jr A players. It may be 1 or 2, idk.

If anyone hears more on this let us know.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach

I don't know for certain but there may be a requirement for X number of Jr A players. It may be 1 or 2, idk.

I would assume that would be X number of players dress a game throughout the year? I’m in favour of this on both points , more local flavour likely and no Acadia playing with a Pewee house league sized lineup

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017

Cap will be remove , from my understand if player gets hurt or IR allowing player won’t go against “a cap”.

I do know AUS been in talkings about this since guys left pro early as well but I find it funny when oua takes 1 & 4 at nationals this happens

All of Usports needs to review AFA “Full ride guideline that AUS applies especially at Hockey level”

Reactions: AdamMcg83

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
All of Usports needs to review AFA “Full ride guideline that AUS applies especially at Hockey level”
I'm assuming you mean all of USports needs to FOLLOW the maximum AFA payout used by the AUS. There's no such thing as 'full-ride' funding in men's hockey; only in women's hockey where they are trying to compete with NCAA recruiting.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Reimbursement of chl package to player = full ride. This has been happening for long time. And will continue.

Not all player receive entire school package back but any amount to said player equal competitive edge

I am aware some on these board are involved in AUS Hockey and will run to their reports :)

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Reimbursement of chl package to player = full ride. This has been happening for long time. And will continue.

Not all player receive entire school package back but any amount to said player equal competitive edge in recruiting etc

I am aware some on these board are involved in AUS Hockey and will run to their reports :)
Does every CHL player get the same package in AUS, CW, OUA? If so, THAT is a moot point.

Schools are allowed to offer tuition and books up to a certain number of "full or partial" packages. The CIS knows about this, so it's not a secret. To the best of my knowledge, OUA schools are allowed to offer similar inducements but have chosen not to.

This may be a recruiting advantage to CW or AUS, but it's not illegal. An advantage may be "come to UofA or UNB and win a National Championship", but that also is not illegal.

Your comment does not show any wrongdoing by AUS teams. It's more like sour grapes because the OUA doesn't do what the other conferences do.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
No sour grapes at all. Point is reimbursement part with addition to afa money. Chl packages cover books tuition etc but at no point should player receive that money back. I’m not aware of any oua or cw school doing this. They might though. This is great conversation piece

You are right on recruiting part

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
No sour grapes at all. Point is reimbursement part with addition to afa money. Chl packages cover books tuition etc but at no point should player receive that money back. I’m not aware of any oua or cw school doing this. They might though. This is great conversation piece

You are right on recruiting part

I get that. But it's just your opinion, not any nefarious action by the AUS. And to reiterate my point, if the CIS doesn't like it they can stop it.

Not quite the same, but if a school has a great rink or fan base that allows them to recruit should they be "punished" by that? What is UofA doing to get all the top players in the DUB?

Other than "it's not fair", I don't see your point.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Point is. Chl package is cover all expenses not to cover all expenses and then go back into player pocket. I am aware of ex player many moons ago. Walking away with free education plus 40k in there bank account

That point I’m making. Is all of AUS/OUA/CW doing it. Who knows. But I hear a lot of AUS talk

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Point is. Chl package is cover all expenses not to cover all expenses and then go back into player pocket. I am aware of ex player many moons ago. Walking away with free education plus 40k in there bank account

That point I’m making. Is all of AUS/OUA/CW doing it. Who knows. But I hear a lot of AUS talk

We can agree to agree. It's NOT AUS talk, the AUS does it to the "limits" they are allowed, Because It Is NOT Illegal.

Some programs run hockey schools where the players are PAID to work there. Should that be stopped as well?

I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you are implying that there may not be a level playing field. I can accept that, but to repeat myself again, there is nothing wrong with what the AUS (for example) is doing.

It would be like some OUA schools complaining that AUS/CW schools are getting guys from the CHL where they can only get Jr A players. Should all CIS programs only recruit to the level of the "worse" school? I don't think so. Maybe some schools can only afford Canadian Tire wooden sticks; does that mean that all schools should do the same?

If the OUA has the ability to offer a "scholarship" package but does not, the issue is with them and not other conferences that do.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Great convo. Agree to Agree.

“I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you are implying that there may not be a level playing field. I can accept that, but to repeat myself again, there is nothing wrong with what the AUS (for example) is doing.”

Ask coaches how they feel. :)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
We can agree to agree. It's NOT AUS talk, the AUS does it to the "limits" they are allowed, Because It Is NOT Illegal.

Some programs run hockey schools where the players are PAID to work there. Should that be stopped as well?

I'll try and give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you are implying that there may not be a level playing field. I can accept that, but to repeat myself again, there is nothing wrong with what the AUS (for example) is doing.

It would be like some OUA schools complaining that AUS/CW schools are getting guys from the CHL where they can only get Jr A players. Should all CIS programs only recruit to the level of the "worse" school? I don't think so. Maybe some schools can only afford Canadian Tire wooden sticks; does that mean that all schools should do the same?

If the OUA has the ability to offer a "scholarship" package but does not, the issue is with them and not other conferences that do.
The problem here is rooted in the fact that AFA guidelines and rules vary from conference to conference and sport to sport. If USports wanted to eliminate some of the competitive advantages, they'd have a single set of rules for all member schools and conferences. But, whether they're motivated not to make these rules, or it's simple apathetic buck-passing, they have refused to fix these issues (that appear in more than just men's hockey, by the way).

Quite frankly, men's hockey players have a massive financial advantage already, given that there is a 60-team, privately-owned organization that provides scholarship dollars strictly based on games played. No other incoming student-athlete in this country - especially in women's sports - have anything like this available to them. Want to talk real fairness across the board? Let's have the same dollar amount across all conferences and all sports, and factor the CHL scholarship dollars into that limit - because I've never heard a rumor of a women's hockey player graduating with no debt and $40k in pocket.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The problem here is rooted in the fact that AFA guidelines and rules vary from conference to conference and sport to sport. If USports wanted to eliminate some of the competitive advantages, they'd have a single set of rules for all member schools and conferences. But, whether they're motivated not to make these rules, or it's simple apathetic buck-passing, they have refused to fix these issues (that appear in more than just men's hockey, by the way).

Quite frankly, men's hockey players have a massive financial advantage already, given that there is a 60-team, privately-owned organization that provides scholarship dollars strictly based on games played. No other incoming student-athlete in this country - especially in women's sports - have anything like this available to them. Want to talk real fairness across the board? Let's have the same dollar amount across all conferences and all sports, and factor the CHL scholarship dollars into that limit - because I've never heard a rumor of a women's hockey player graduating with no debt and $40k in pocket.

You're preaching to the choir. BUT, and I've said this before, it's not the fault of the AUS or CW or any other school that does this. The fault, if any, lies with the conference that does not use all the tools available to them. For example, if the OUA says "you can only give out 5 AFA for men's hockey", while the CIS allows you to give out 10, that's not the fault of the CIS.

This whole discussion started with a comment that I felt "Implied" some kind of wrong-doing by the AUS.

I agree that it's not "fair" that the AUS does this but lots of things in life aren't fair.

If the AFA rules differ from conference to conference, is that not the responsibility of the conference to make their rules the same as the AUS? I'm guessing the CIS has rules for the number of AFA's a school can have and the rules are the same for all conferences, Should They Decide To Implement Them.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
its not implied. I’ve seen it. Heard it and will continue see scholarships chl money return to player as extra incentive forget about afa rules. 40k/no debt

You keep focusing on AFA not CHL scholarship money being return to player as extra incentive
Everyone has that pool “AFA” and up to university to use it but when player a gets offer max afa and return of scholarship chl money plus tuition books lodging paid for that not competitive balance but your take is oh well. Other university need step up. Sure. I agree. But you’ll always see unbalanced competition from AUS to CW to OUA

FWIW I know player this year being offer super package. Afa max , return of scholarship money , free tuition/book/lodging “ money wise that could be worth 14-20k per year depending again if player has gold package vs standard package. If I was player agent or advisor. I take it and run to bank.

If player financially responsible they could walk away with no debt , degree and money in bank

“This whole discussion started with a comment that I felt "Implied" some kind of wrong-doing by the AUS.

I agree that it's not "fair" that the AUS does this but lots of things in life aren't fair.”

Are you saying AUS does this ?

Remember AFA is up to 4500 per year depending on different variables at each university

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's becoming clearer now.

Your initial comment was this: All of Usports needs to review AFA “Full ride guideline that AUS applies especially at Hockey level”

Reading that I thought you were concerned about the AUS offering AFA's when OUA schools didn't.

Do you know how the CHL package works? Does the CHL give the player a bunch of cash when he says he's going to university? I don't know the answer, but will try to find out. I did a Google, but found nothing but a bunch of articles on various players who took advantage of the offer.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Each chl package is pretty standard unless you receive gold package.

Gold package covers everything (books, tuition, compulsory fees plus lodging expenses up to certain amount chl team/ player agree upon) and guarantees 4 year package some even include master program if agreed upon

Standard covers books and tuition for either a) X amount years you play in league. Or B) whatever team/player agree upon X number of years of schooling

When player decides to go university or college. Player provides OHL/QMJHL/WHL proof of enrolment fills out bunch standard forms and OHL/QMJHL/WHL plays X amount of fees
base on standard/gold or other package agreements

Player can play pro up to 1.5 year before school package is voided unless they sign ELC then there school package is voided immediately . And for some if they don’t use school package in 1.5 year after done playing school package is voided as well or whatever written in contact school package

In Q once you graduate for high school to maintain your package you need to at least take 1 class per semester unless written different in agreement (contract)

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad