2021-2022 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I got a message from UPEI Hockey the other day saying the playoffs will not be impacted.

1/4 finals this week? Don't get ahead of yourself.

Reactions: Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So Moncton (7) versus Acadia (6) in Wolfville - any predictions?

Acadia won the season series 3-1 with GF/GA in Acadia's favour - 14 to 13.
  • Fri. Oct. 15 - @ ACD (ACD wins 3-2)
  • Sat. Nov. 13 - @ UdeM (UdeM wins 5-1)
  • Sat. Nov. 27 - @ UdeM (ACD wins 4-3)
  • Sat. Feb. 26 - @ACD (ACD wins 6-3)
Since the return, Acadia has only won one game, but it was against Moncton (6-3). They have also missed two games since the return; vs DAL on Feb. 18 and Mar. 5th vs UPEI leaving them with just 4 games played, so not a lot of game experience but they are well rested.

Moncton has played all six of their games since returning with a record of 1-3-2. Playing UNB and SFX into a shootout is hard to do, but losing 6-3 in crucial game against Acadia is not good.

My choice is Acadia with a 1-goal spread - we could even see OT. Home Ice is big advantage in a 1-game winner take all and they are well rested.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
So Moncton (7) versus Acadia (6) in Wolfville - any predictions?

Acadia won the season series 3-1 with GF/GA in Acadia's favour - 14 to 13.
  • Fri. Oct. 15 - @ ACD (ACD wins 3-2)
  • Sat. Nov. 13 - @ UdeM (UdeM wins 5-1)
  • Sat. Nov. 27 - @ UdeM (ACD wins 4-3)
  • Sat. Feb. 26 - @ACD (ACD wins 6-3)
Since the return, Acadia has only won one game, but it was against Moncton (6-3). They have also missed two games since the return; vs DAL on Feb. 18 and Mar. 5th vs UPEI leaving them with just 4 games played, so not a lot of game experience but they are well rested.

Moncton has played all six of their games since returning with a record of 1-3-2. Playing UNB and SFX into a shootout is hard to do, but losing 6-3 in crucial game against Acadia is not good.

My choice is Acadia with a 1-goal spread - we could even see OT. Home Ice is big advantage in a 1-game winner take all and they are well rested.
Speaking of spreads, I wish that a sports book would pickup AUS/USports hockey, I can bet on Jr hockey in Kazakhstan and the 3rd Bundesliga (those were some questionable times along with Russian Table Tennis ), would be nice to have University hockey as an option.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good game tonight at ACA. UdeM had a bit more jump early on and capitalized on a bad turnover behind the ACA net. A short handed goal in the 2nd and things were looking bleak for the Axe. After several PP chances ACA was able to get a goal in the 3rd and that seemed to spark them as they played much better scoring 5 minutes later to tie the game. I was just settling in for a 10 minute OT when Cyr picked up the puck at the red line and with a burst of speed caught the defender flat footed. Not sure if I would call it a "good" goal as he shot from the circle, but .....
ACA now has 3 weeks to wait until they play a meaningful game while UdeM will open at DAL on Friday.

Reactions: Drummer

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Speaking of spreads, I wish that a sports book would pickup AUS/USports hockey, I can bet on Jr hockey in Kazakhstan and the 3rd Bundesliga (those were some questionable times along with Russian Table Tennis ), would be nice to have University hockey as an option.

Wagering on junior hockey in Kazakstan. :help:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's a toss-up. The DAL-UdeM game was fun to watch; either team could have won. If not for a Delay of Game call on SMU with 22 sec left in the 3rd, UPEI wouldn't have had a 6-on-4 to score the tying goal. I'm gonna go with a sweep for both city teams. The selfish me would like to see a Dal game on Tuesday night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU moves on to play either SFX or UNB, depending on the result of game 3 DAL-UdeM.

The game tonight was not overly "good". I felt that UPEI was trying to run SMU out of the rink instead of playing to win. The result was a steady parade to the box. Sumarah was solid in goal again for his 5th straight win.
I'll be at the Fabulous Forum Tuesday night for that game. I hope it's as good as last Friday.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU moves on to play either SFX or UNB, depending on the result of game 3 DAL-UdeM.

The game tonight was not overly "good". I felt that UPEI was trying to run SMU out of the rink instead of playing to win. The result was a steady parade to the box. Sumarah was solid in goal again for his 5th straight win.
I'll be at the Fabulous Forum Tuesday night for that game. I hope it's as good as last Friday.

Panthers took a couple of really dumb misconducts in the final 10min of the game. Very undisciplined play. Something they will have to fix next season.

Did you hear what Brassard said to the ref that earned him a misconduct?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Panthers took a couple of really dumb misconducts in the final 10min of the game. Very undisciplined play. Something they will have to fix next season.

Did you hear what Brassard said to the ref that earned him a misconduct?

I actually did. I think what happened is that the puck hit someone in the SMU end and came out all the way down the ice. UPEI was on the PP. The back ref was by the UPEI net and the puck came down to the circle. Brassard skated back for the puck and threw a bunch of F-bombs and other choice words at the ref. I didn't understand why he was upset, but BOOM - misconduct and gone. I was seated above the UPEI goal and had a good view, but other than the obvious I couldn't understand what he was saying.

Reactions: Rob

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Is there a rule against UNB goalies being ranked the best? How on earth is Rylan not the first team goalie? I know he plays on a strong defensive team, but he leads in save percentage and in GAA (by a mile). He has also been a brick wall in a few shootouts for unb in the 2nd half.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Is there a rule against UNB goalies being ranked the best? How on earth is Rylan not the first team goalie? I know he plays on a strong defensive team, but he leads in save percentage and in GAA (by a mile). He has also been a brick wall in a few shootouts for unb in the 2nd half.

Because these awards are always a trade off. No one ever said it had to be fair.

UNB did get 4 of 6 on 2nd Team.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UdeM moves on to play UNB. The game tonight was nothing like last Friday. Very sloppy by both teams with several weak goals.

UdeM had 2 shorties including a 2-on-none. Vey sloppy.

That's really all I can say about the game.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
UdeM moves on to play UNB. The game tonight was nothing like last Friday. Very sloppy by both teams with several weak goals.

UdeM had 2 shorties including a 2-on-none. Vey sloppy.

That's really all I can say about the game.
Fair assessment, a bit of a letdown after games 1 and 2 of the series. At least the result came in on the good side.

Nice to see you tonight, nice to be back for a road game too, my first of the year.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB in two, but the games will be close
SMU in three, one game in OT

SMU has only one win vs StFX, but I think they've figured things out now,

3-2 (W) - pre-season
6-4 (L) - pre-season
5-4 (L)
7-5 (L)
8-6 (L)
7-4 (L)

But for SMU to win, they can't give up 6.5 goals per game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You're going out on a limb with the SMU prediction. I was saying to someone last night "wouldn't it be funny if both UdeM and SMU won the semis".

Of course you would not be amused.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Three short handed goals in a deciding game - not something you expect - not used to seeing 3 for 5 shorthanded stat and it's a good thing for the team that is down a player!
I didn't realize it was 3 shorties last night. I was just writing from memory.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I do have both series as being sweeps but there may be some one goal games. Or even a steal as both Moncton and SMU have a goaltenders capable of stealing a game.

Montpetite made 50+ saves in a shout-out loss to UNB last month.

Sumarah hasnt lost yet. This will be his toughest test so far.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I don't have the official scoresheet handy, but I believe it was 2. I think one got entered wrong in the stats software.
Yes - it looks like Moncton's first goal of the 3rd period (2:32) was Even Strength, but it's marked as SH. Even having two(2) shorty's is not good (or good - depending on your POV). Certainly not expected in a deciding game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad