Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Part II - We have the 10th pick

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I said awhile ago I think the Jets would like Guhle’s skillset. At the top prospects game he was dominant, at times, as his gap control was very good and he showed some offensive capability as well.

Would not surprise me if Chevy likes him and selects him at #10. But you never know who falls and who might like Guhle picking in the top 9.
As much as Sanderson is higher ranked than Guhle (because he’s more skilled), I would prefer a more physical player like Guhle or Schneider at #10, although any of the 3 D men would make me happy. The Jets lost a lot of physical play from Buff, Troubadour and Chairot. It would be nice to get some of it back.

Reactions: Bob E

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets have a good young core
(Not so young now but not old)

Schiefele, Laine, Morrisey, Hellybuyck
Connor, Ehlers

With support group of
Lowry Copp Appleton Harkins

With up and coming
Gustaffson Vesalainen Niku Heinola Samberg

That is a pretty good core that Chevy assembled.

I didnt indicate UFA or trades.

My point:

Work with that core and make them now the leaders. (I actually was stating this year ago).

Dont move the 10th pick.
Jets will get a top 4 Dman or top 6 forward at a minumum.
Im betting
Top 2 Dman or top line player.

Jets have some money to move around and if Little goes LTIR that is another help (not to Little but for the spending to cap).

Its not gonna be realistic to get the 2C/1B and top RD in 1 ufa year at the same time. Specially looking at whats available now.

Make next year the transistion year for making the young core the lead dog. Most good young teams now they make their young players lead.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As much as Sanderson is higher ranked than Guhle (because he’s more skilled), I would prefer a more physical player like Guhle or Schneider at #10, although any of the 3 D men would make me happy. The Jets lost a lot of physical play from Buff, Troubadour and Chairot. It would be nice to get some of it back.

Sanderson is far from a shrinking violet. I looked in hockey DB and Black Book
and they have Sanderson Guhle and Schneider all listed around 6’2”. I know Guhle is the most mean spirited of the 3 but if Sanderson is there at #10 I sprint to the podium to take him. I have him as the top D man in the draft and especially with how he played in the second half I don’t expect him to make it past #6.

Either way I like all three of these kids.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sanderson is far from a wilting violet. I looked in hockey DB and Black Book
and they have Sanderson Guhle and Schneider all listed around 6’2”. I know Guhle is the most mean spirited of the 3 but if Sanderson is there at #10 I sprint to the podium to take him. I have him as the top D man in the draft and especially with how he played in the second half I don’t expect him to make it past #6.

I agree. Watching the playoffs reminds me how uninvolved our D is on the rush and in the offensive zone. Every team is now having their D join the rush to create odd-man breaks, but the Jets almost never do this now that Buff, Trouba and Myers are gone. Sanderson is such a great skater that he can lead or join the rush, and get back on D to cover. I think his offense is going to blossom.

I like Guhle, too, but I think he's a tier below Sanderson.

Reactions: ps241

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I find the disturbing thing about Sanderson is when the pause came he was a projected mid round 1st ...now he is a top 10 pick...without playing any games....that bothers me...sounds like a hype train more than anything else..

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I find the disturbing thing about Sanderson is when the pause came he was a projected mid round 1st ...now he is a top 10 pick...without playing any games....that bothers me...sounds like a hype train more than anything else..

He was gaining a lot of traction right up to the pause, was ranked in the top 13 on a lot of lists. I was skeptical of his fast rise but then started really watching and diving into some of his games and yeah he's the real deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. Watching the playoffs reminds me how uninvolved our D is on the rush and in the offensive zone. Every team is now having their D join the rush to create odd-man breaks, but the Jets almost never do this now that Buff, Trouba and Myers are gone. Sanderson is such a great skater that he can lead or join the rush, and get back on D to cover. I think his offense is going to blossom.

Yeah Guhle and Schneider are both a tier below Sanderson. Drysdale isn't as good defensively but he has another gear offensively, at least for now. Sanderson could close that gap pretty quickly though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Actually, he was rising like a bullet before the pause, but that hadn't been reflected in some of the major rankings until after that. He had an outstanding showing in the U18 5-Nations Cup (Feb 5-9, Czech Republic), with 3 goals and 4 assists in 4 games. I think it took a while for his rise to be reflected in all of the various rankings, but NHL teams already had him rising fast before the break.

Reactions: KingBogo

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yeah Guhle and Schneider are both a tier below Sanderson. Drysdale isn't as good defensively but he has another gear offensively, at least for now. Sanderson could close that gap pretty quickly though.

I do have Sanderson at a tier higher than the other two as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sanderson is far from a shrinking violet. I looked in hockey DB and Black Book

The more reading and watching video I've done Sanderson has started to become one of my favourites. I'd be very happy with him at #10.

Reactions: Heldig and ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm going to clear my living room of valuables before the draft because if they pick another LD I'm flipping my table.
IMO you can't get too attached to position, especially with a top 10 pick. Another winger wouldn't be ideal, but a LHD would be just fine. The only NHLer LHD we have is Morrissey after that we have 2 promising prospects and then bottom of the barrel UFA's and waiver wire pickups or lower end prospects a long ways off. If we draft Sanderson and him, Samberg and Heinola all become top 4 talents great. One of them playing their offside isn't the worst thing especially for an offensive minded d-man.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Sanderson was already #9 on Bob McKenzies list at midseason.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Yeah all guys seem like they have some potential to fit into our system. Jarvis is by far the best skater in the draft, Foudy is a faster but not as good with edgework, Rossi has the best edgework but he's not as fast. Jarvis has Ehlers like skating and could potentially be around a similar size. He does have some potential to play C, though he mostly lined up at wing this year.

Quinn is a shooter through and through and I'm not all that sure the Jets really need another shoot first, ask questions later winger. Eventually you need some guys that can distribute.

Mercer has some big question marks to his game for me. The drop in production on a team where someone wasn't driving the bus for him was questionable. He had some chances at the WJC as well and didn't do a whole heck of a lot. He looks a lot different when you watch his Drummondville games vs when you watch his Chicoutimi games. I question whether he can be enough of a play driver to be a top 6 regular with the Jets.

Lundell is the kind of player that thrives with time and open space, both things that are hard to manufacture if you don't have good footspeed in the NHL. That's why I question his upside and his ability to slow the game down. Zary just looks more suited to the NHL game. He's a buzzsaw on the puck, forechecks hard and goes to the dirty areas, not afraid of being physical either. The upside is still questionable but add to that his puck skills and I think he's got a better shot at being a top 6 guy than Lundell. Lundell is safer to be an NHL regular though if that makes sense.
I said the same thing about Mat Sundin and he did ok.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'm participating in a mock draft right now.
I'm on the clock for the next 3 hours and looking for some feedback.
Before the draft I made the following deal:
Jets trade: Laine and #10 pick.
Devils trade: Zacha, Severson, #7 pick, #18 pick.
Already selected:
#1 Laf. #2 Byfield. #3 Stutzle. #4 Rossi. #5 Drysdale. #6 Raymond.
I'm thinking Perfetti, Sanderson or Lundell.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah all guys seem like they have some potential to fit into our system. Jarvis is by far the best skater in the draft, Foudy is a faster but not as good with edgework, Rossi has the best edgework but he's not as fast. Jarvis has Ehlers like skating and could potentially be around a similar size. He does have some potential to play C, though he mostly lined up at wing this year.

Quinn is a shooter through and through and I'm not all that sure the Jets really need another shoot first, ask questions later winger. Eventually you need some guys that can distribute.

Mercer has some big question marks to his game for me. The drop in production on a team where someone wasn't driving the bus for him was questionable. He had some chances at the WJC as well and didn't do a whole heck of a lot. He looks a lot different when you watch his Drummondville games vs when you watch his Chicoutimi games. I question whether he can be enough of a play driver to be a top 6 regular with the Jets.

Lundell is the kind of player that thrives with time and open space, both things that are hard to manufacture if you don't have good footspeed in the NHL. That's why I question his upside and his ability to slow the game down. Zary just looks more suited to the NHL game. He's a buzzsaw on the puck, forechecks hard and goes to the dirty areas, not afraid of being physical either. The upside is still questionable but add to that his puck skills and I think he's got a better shot at being a top 6 guy than Lundell. Lundell is safer to be an NHL regular though if that makes sense.

Mercer was predominantly playing C for Chocoutimi in the games I watched. Perhaps a mid season position change and joining a new team may have had something to do with his fall off. It happens all the time in the NHL where rentals need an adjustment period, no idea why it would be a surprise for a junior player to go through something similar. He also didn't play on the same line as Simoneau in Drummondville so he wasn't benefitting from someone driving the line for him.

Also how many Chicoutimi games did you watch? I watched two full games and he was the best player on the ice in each game I saw. He was driving offensive chances and zone entries and exits. Looked very good gojng forward as a center but was a bit rough around the edges in his own end.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Already selected:

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Perfetti or Sanderson.

Reactions: bennylundholm

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Already selected:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Perfetti or Sanderson.

Can't go wrong with either Perfetti or Sanderson. But I can't decide which should be taken.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Can't go wrong with either Perfetti or Sanderson. But I can't decide which should be taken.

On second thought, I see you also have #18. A lot of good C in that range (of a lower tier), but I don't think as many D. So maybe take Sanderson?

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Already selected:

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Perfetti hands down

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Already selected:

Thoughts?
Thanks.
That was a terrible trade for the Jets.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
That was a terrible trade for the Jets.
Ya, after looking at it again, I can’t argue with you.
I was playing around with trying to deal Laine for some help but I think your right that we’d need more too end talent back for Laine if we were to deal him.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Already selected:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

yeah I am going to say no to that Devils trade....Severson and Zacha are rather pedestrian...I think the 18th pick doesn't excite..if Laine goes I would like some higher end talent back...that would be Hischier or Ty Smith..I think Smith is going to be spectacular and has played the right side...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mercer was predominantly playing C for Chocoutimi in the games I watched. Perhaps a mid season position change and joining a new team may have had something to do with his fall off. It happens all the time in the NHL where rentals need an adjustment period, no idea why it would be a surprise for a junior player to go through something similar. He also didn't play on the same line as Simoneau in Drummondville so he wasn't benefitting from someone driving the line for him.

Also how many Chicoutimi games did you watch? I watched two full games and he was the best player on the ice in each game I saw. He was driving offensive chances and zone entries and exits. Looked very good gojng forward as a center but was a bit rough around the edges in his own end.

Two or three I think. He definitely looked like the best draft eligible player on Chi. I'll give him that. Him and Simoneau connected a fair bit on the PP. But they did spend time together on the same line. I just dont see the upside on Mercer as much as you do. I know you have been cheerleading for him for awhile. I just think that Zary, Quinn and Jarvis have been more impressive.

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Two or three I think. He definitely looked like the best draft eligible player on Chi. I'll give him that. Him and Simoneau connected a fair bit on the PP. But they did spend time together on the same line. I just dont see the upside on Mercer as much as you do. I know you have been cheerleading for him for awhile. I just think that Zary, Quinn and Jarvis have been more impressive.

Zary is more polished and more physically strong I'll give him that but I don't see that extra gear he will likely need at the next level.

Jarvis is very impressive but we have a number of smaller skilled wingers and as an org we should diversify a bit.

Quinn also is more of what we have plus I'm a little leary due to him having one real big year and playing on a stacked team with some elite talent.

Personally I would be happy with any of the above but feel we need the potential C more and I like Mercer as a play driving multifaceted offensive C a bit more then Zary. I'll trust that our scouts will have a good book on all of the above. They haven't whiffed on a pixk in this range so I'll feel good about who we draft. Even if it's one of the dmen that I'm at best luke warm on.

Reactions: JetsUK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad