Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Part II - We have the 10th pick

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Last thread was over 1000 posts. Continue. Last few posts:

Or Pionk, Roslovic, ‘20 1st

I’d prefer to keep the 2020 1st. I think the Jets can find their 2C answer for the future with that pick.

While I think they should trade that pick for a 2C that can step in now.

If there’s someone good enough. Trading a 10th oa is bad management of the player isn’t a big difference maker, is gone in 2 years or is overpaid

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'm betting the Jets keep the #10 pick as Chevy surely sees the importance of draft and develop.
However, I'm also betting he makes it known that Laine is available for the right price... a top 6 center or top 2 defenceman.

Reactions: hn777 and voyageur

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
BatVader said: While I think they should trade that pick for a 2C that can step in now. [/QUOTE said:
But we were talking about a deal for Ekblad, whether to include a 2020 or 2021 1st. Not a 2C.

Sure, if you can get a solid 2C that’s not a pending FA soon, fine. But that wasn’t the discussion.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am finding it interesting we are not having a landslide of objection to the ideas of trading Laine for a top 3 pick or a D' plus...

Hmmmm...

:popcorn:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I object.

Was waiting for the Pikes to come out of the weeds...

giphy.gif

:laugh:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
But we were talking about a deal for Ekblad, whether to include a 2020 or 2021 1st. Not a 2C.

Sure, if you can get a solid 2C that’s not a pending FA soon, fine. But that wasn’t the discussion.

the full conversation shows the talk about the 2020 pick and how you brought up the 2C issue first
.Ekblad++ for Laine.

Don’t think Florida would like my ++.

I would rather package Pionk, Lowry, 2021 1st, ?

Edit: Moving Ekblad’s contract is difficult in a flat cap world. If Florida wants to move his cap hit, as a cap casualty, I wouldn’t give them top dollar in a deal.​

Or Pionk, Roslovic, ‘20 1st

I’d prefer to keep the 2020 1st. I think the Jets can find their 2C answer for the future with that pick.

While I think they should trade that pick for a 2C that can step in now.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I am finding it interesting we are not having a landslide of objection to the ideas of trading Laine for a top 3 pick or a D' plus...

Hmmmm...

:popcorn:
It’s like 22 year old 40 goal scorers and 2 time 30 goal scorers grow on trees. Last year his game was more well rounded and almost got to 30. Seriously. Let’s let the kid keep getting better before trading him for a pick. Wheeler has never scored 30 in his career and took a while to fully develop. This kid will score 40-50. For Lafreniere, sure, otherwise not a chance for a pick.
As people think he won’t return much. People will pay big bucks for goals.
So what I’m saying I guess.....is we keep 10 and will not add to our draft pick selections this year.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It’s like 22 year old 40 goal scorers and 2 time 30 goal scorers grow on trees. Last year his game was more well rounded and almost got to 30. Seriously. Let’s let the kid keep getting better before trading him for a pick. Wheeler has never scored 30 in his career and took a while to fully develop. This kid will score 40-50. For Lafreniere, sure, otherwise not a chance for a pick.
So what I’m saying I guess.....is we keep 10 and will not add to our draft pick selections this year.

shame.gif

At least you didn't call Me Shirley...

:laugh:

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'm only interested in dealing Laine if it's for an impact player that fills a major need like an Ekblad plus a good prospect and a pick.

Say we get Ekblad, Tippet and say the 12th overall for Laine plus something else. We now got a real good top pairing and a young cost controlled RW that can likely fill the second line RW slot this coming year.

We then can move out Roslovoc plus one of the 1sts for a second line center.

That or we keep both picks and get two good prospects.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
@Bob E I think Perfetti is the most likely guy to fall. He's smaller than average, he's not a great skater and worst of all, his effort isn't always there. Those are the negatives, and there are obviously positives (elite vision, hands & shot) that have earned him the 5 OA ranking. But that combination of negatives is a bad sign.

I have Lundell and Mercer above Perfetti.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
@Bob E I think Perfetti is the most likely guy to fall. He's smaller than average, he's not a great skater and worst of all, his effort isn't always there. Those are the negatives, and there are obviously positives (elite vision, hands & shot) that have earned him the 5 OA ranking. But that combination of negatives is a bad sign.

Thanks lanky.

If you could somehow eliminate or significantly reduce the negatives, you could have a very good player. Perhaps turning pro, maturing, and being around guys like Scheifele would have a positive effect.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It sure would be nice if Gustafson and Vesalainen could take a step next year to be NHL regulars and by the following year contribute around 30 points, effectively replacing Perreault and Lowry, at a fraction of the cost.

Then continue to build their games for next few years.

Sure would be nice.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It sure would be nice if Gustafson and Vesalainen could take a step next year to be NHL regulars and by the following year contribute around 30 points, effectively replacing Perreault and Lowry, at a fraction of the cost.

Then continue to build their games for next few years.

Sure would be nice.

I really hope we sign Lowry long term. He's a beast to play against, we can't afford to get softer. Harkins to me is the replacement for Perreault. I think if we can develop Gus and Ves throughout the year, we have a 4 line team going into the playoffs, without having to trade, especially if that 2c that everyone wants appears.

I can really see a Roslovic for Ristolainen trade though.

I'm still hoping that we land Lundell. I don't know how the statistical side of this board can't be imprressed with a 17 year old putting up a 62% Corsi in a Men's League, unless he was incredibly sheltered, which it doesn't seem. The bonus is you let him play one more year, in Europe, and then bring him to the Moose at 19, giving him a whole year to prepare for the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I'm only interested in dealing Laine if it's for an impact player that fills a major need like an Ekblad plus a good prospect and a pick.

Say we get Ekblad, Tippet and say the 12th overall for Laine plus something else. We now got a real good top pairing and a young cost controlled RW that can likely fill the second line RW slot this coming year.

We then can move out Roslovoc plus one of the 1sts for a second line center.

That or we keep both picks and get two good prospects.

If you can get this deal done you take it all day long..just start the car and blow this town...

I love Tippett

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Interesting

One positive I have heard scouts say about Perfetti is he has possibly the top hockey IQ in this draft class. Rossi is short at 5’9” Perfetti is closer to 5’11” so not ideal for a centre but that doesn’t scare me.

I would take Perfetti over Mercer but I love Mercer too. I love Lundell less than most of the guys on the board but if TNSE draft him I will break out the Pom poms

Reactions: JetsUK

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Interesting

One positive I have heard scouts say about Perfetti is he has possibly the top hockey IQ in this draft class. Rossi is short at 5’9” Perfetti is closer to 5’11” so not ideal for a centre but that doesn’t scare me.

I would take Perfetti over Mercer but I love Mercer too. I love Lundell less than most of the guys on the board but if TNSE draft him I will break out the Pom poms
I’m a bit torn on Lundell.

On one hand, he could be exactly what we’re missing in our top6, if his offensive game develops. If he reaches the 20g/40a/60pts level playing with offensive wingers like we have and still has an outstanding defensive game, sign me up.

On the other hand, I think Perfetti and perhaps Mercer might ultimately score more, but won’t defend as well. I don’t see Lundell becoming a 1A/1B C, but with our wingers, he may not need too. I do see Perfetti getting to that level and could be a Scheifele replacement eventually, but then we would still be looking for that strong 2-way C for our top6.

If you keep high scoring wingers that have trouble defending, like Connor, Laine and Wheeler, then Lundell might make most sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad