Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Part II - We have the 10th pick

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Zary is more polished and more physically strong I'll give him that but I don't see that extra gear he will likely need at the next level.

Jarvis is very impressive but we have a number of smaller skilled wingers and as an org we should diversify a bit.

Quinn also is more of what we have plus I'm a little leary due to him having one real big year and playing on a stacked team with some elite talent.

Personally I would be happy with any of the above but feel we need the potential C more and I like Mercer as a play driving multifaceted offensive C a bit more then Zary. I'll trust that our scouts will have a good book on all of the above. They haven't whiffed on a pixk in this range so I'll feel good about who we draft. Even if it's one of the dmen that I'm at best luke warm on.

I think Zary could be one of those players who really turns it on in the playoffs. Jarvis just seems like he can produce but he isnt very physical. Quinn is hard to read but the shot is undeniable, I agree we have way to many shooters though. I wouldnt be opposed to taking Mercer but he isnt my favourite pick at 10.

Looking at our draft history we have only ever taken one Atlantic Canadian kid in Luke Green. QMJHL doesnt seem like a place we put a whole lot of time into scouting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Zary could be one of those players who really turns it on in the playoffs. Jarvis just seems like he can produce but he isnt very physical. Quinn is hard to read but the shot is undeniable, I agree we have way to many shooters though. I wouldnt be opposed to taking Mercer but he isnt my favourite pick at 10.

Looking at our draft history we have only ever taken one Atlantic Canadian kid in Luke Green. QMJHL doesnt seem like a place we put a whole lot of time into scouting.

They haven't taken as many players from the Q but they did select a play driving winger in Ehlers very high. Green, Kostelek, and Gawanke are some other QMJHL picks. It isnt our scouts favorite league but they dont shy away from taking players from it.

Reactions: kellhunter

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
They haven't taken as many players from the Q but they did select a play driving winger in Ehlers very high. Green, Kostelek, and Gawanke are some other QMJHL picks. It isnt our scouts favorite league but they dont shy away from taking players from it.

OK, but of those four only Green could be described as an Atlantic Canadian kid.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I dont think that is all that relevant. The Jets will be judging him by his play in the Q and how he does on his interview.

I don't think it's relevant either. I just thought birthplace was what Dax meant when he referred to the Jets not drafting kids from Atlantic Canada.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah it seems like most of our picks out of the Q are imports. We have never taken anyone from Quebec. Maybe they feel like kids from Quebec wont stick around.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think it's relevant either. I just thought birthplace was what Dax meant when he referred to the Jets not drafting kids from Atlantic Canada.

Yeah it does seem like we tend to favour European, Western Canadian, Midwest American and Ontario kids.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it seems like most of our picks out of the Q are imports. We have never taken anyone from Quebec. Maybe they feel like kids from Quebec wont stick around.

Or its just randomness. There was a time when we appeared not to like European players due to not picking them for a number of years. I think it just comes down to how our list shakes out and who is available at the pick.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Or its just randomness. There was a time when we appeared not to like European players due to not picking them for a number of years. I think it just comes down to how our list shakes out and who is available at the pick.

It doesn't even seem like we have a dedicated Q scout. At least not one that I can see. We have plenty of dedicated scouts for the US. Not sure where Lemay is from but I think he kinda covers everywhere.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It doesn't even seem like we have a dedicated Q scout. At least not one that I can see. We have plenty of dedicated scouts for the US. Not sure where Lemay is from but I think he kinda covers everywhere.

Gotcha. That would be a pretty big organizational oversight if they dont have one. You should be scouring every inch to find talent especially when you are a small market like us.

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gotcha. That would be a pretty big organizational oversight if they dont have one. You should be scouring every inch to find talent especially when you are a small market like us.

Yeah it is a bit odd. We even have a dedicated Russian scout and we don't seem super keen on drafting out of Russia.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Two or three I think. He definitely looked like the best draft eligible player on Chi. I'll give him that. Him and Simoneau connected a fair bit on the PP. But they did spend time together on the same line. I just dont see the upside on Mercer as much as you do. I know you have been cheerleading for him for awhile. I just think that Zary, Quinn and Jarvis have been more impressive.
I think Mercer, Zary, Quinn and Jarvis are all very good and interesting prospects. My sense is that Jarvis is the one that might not bring a different dimension than they already have, because he tends to use speed and space and isn't as hard to play against as the others. Zary and Mercer seem are more likely to play C and they both play a tenacious game without the puck. Quinn also plays a strong 200 foot game with some snort, and can really excel in close quarters and around the net.

I'm still trying to decide what I think about Lundell. The general view is that he has limited offensive upside due to skating and without the dazzle. But I see a lot of intelligence and strong passing and shooting skill. He reminds me a bit of Horvat or Bergeron, and I think he might be a very good facilitator for highly skilled wingers that need a smart okay driver and facilitator. He also plays well in the slot and along the boards, and we need some players that don't play the perimeters as much. If he has the work ethic to improve his foot speed and agility, I think his skating will be fine. He already has decent straight ahead speed, and very good balance.

So, I tend to think arguments could be made for any of these players for the Jets, but right now I might rank them...

Lundell
Quinn
Mercer
Zary
Jarvis

This is based not only on pure talent or position, but also overall fit with our current forward group.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think Mercer, Zary, Quinn and Jarvis are all very good and interesting prospects. My sense is that Jarvis is the one that might not bring a different dimension than they already have, because he tends to use speed and space and isn't as hard to play against as the others. Zary and Mercer seem are more likely to play C and they both play a tenacious game without the puck. Quinn also plays a strong 200 foot game with some snort, and can really excel in close quarters and around the net.

I'm still trying to decide what I think about Lundell. The general view is that he has limited offensive upside due to skating and without the dazzle. But I see a lot of intelligence and strong passing and shooting skill. He reminds me a bit of Horvat or Bergeron, and I think he might be a very good facilitator for highly skilled wingers that need a smart okay driver and facilitator. He also plays well in the slot and along the boards, and we need some players that don't play the perimeters as much. If he has the work ethic to improve his foot speed and agility, I think his skating will be fine. He already has decent straight ahead speed, and very good balance.

So, I tend to think arguments could be made for any of these players for the Jets, but right now I might rank them...

Lundell
Quinn
Mercer
Zary
Jarvis

This is based not only on pure talent or position, but also overall fit with our current forward group.

And this is exactly how I hope the organization will approach the draft selection this year. I am somewhat hopeful that such will be the case given some of Chevy`s comments a few days ago in his presser.

Reactions: ps241

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If things stay the same and we have the 10th pick I am hoping Sanderson is there. I get Ryan Suter vibes from watching him.

I just have to say though I really really love Guhle. If Sanderson isn't there I would love a super hard to play against big man with a mean streak. I think he has 40 point NHL potential as well and would be a good foil going up against the big centers of the league

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Speaking of scouts: the Jets should hire a couple of the posters here as amateur scouts.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Russia and former Soviet states, Eastern US, Quebec and Atlantic Canada make up a pretty sizable portion.

Over 3/4 of Russians live on the Euro side of the country. And while I haven't done an exhaustive analysis of this, I would hazard a guess that an even higher percentage of the hockey playing prospects under draft consideration come from the European side or from the former Soviet states in Europe. Asia for all intents and purposes can be considered a hockey wasteland.

OK, eastern US and Quebec have a few, so I'll drop my original number to 90%. That's as far as I'll go without compelling scientific evidence to the contrary. Those are the new rules. Throw out some made up shit and it must be considered factual until someone goes to the trouble of proving it isn't so. Works for... well, He Who Shall Not Be Named. :nod:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If things stay the same and we have the 10th pick I am hoping Sanderson is there. I get Ryan Suter vibes from watching him.

I just have to say though I really really love Guhle. If Sanderson isn't there I would love a super hard to play against big man with a mean streak. I think he has 40 point NHL potential as well and would be a good foil going up against the big centers of the league
I like Guhle, too. Similar mold as Trouba, but from Western Canada, or maybe Josh Manson with better offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad