Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft Part II - We have the 10th pick

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
There is a reasonable chance that Lundell and/or Askarov are picked top-10 and it is not unexpected that a consensus top-15 is taken much earlier, as we did with Scheifele in 2011.

If so, and if Sanderson or Rossi fall to us, it would be a gift. Sanderson is the type of player you build a team around--think Ryan Suter.

Lundell has top-6 potential, but not nearly the upside of Sanderson.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’m a bit torn on Lundell.

On one hand, he could be exactly what we’re missing in our top6, if his offensive game develops. If he reaches the 20g/40a/60pts level playing with offensive wingers like we have and still has an outstanding defensive game, sign me up.

On the other hand, I think Perfetti and perhaps Mercer might ultimately score more, but won’t defend as well. I don’t see Lundell becoming a 1A/1B C, but with our wingers, he may not need too. I do see Perfetti getting to that level and could be a Scheifele replacement eventually, but then we would still be looking for that strong 2-way C for our top6.

If you keep high scoring wingers that have trouble defending, like Connor, Laine and Wheeler, then Lundell might make most sense.

Lundell is polarizing in the scouting community according to Mark Edwards. It feels like it’s divided pretty evenly between those who see a 3rd line centre ceiling and those who see a second line centre potential.

“If” he could reach #2 sign me up but I’m not sold. That being said I have a low level of confidence in my opinion on him.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I didn’t mind Lundell at 12, but now I feel there will definitely be someone left on the board that I like better so im hoping we take one of them instead.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm betting the Jets keep the #10 pick as Chevy surely sees the importance of draft and develop.
However, I'm also betting he makes it known that Laine is available for the right price... a top 6 center or top 2 defenceman.

Then we have that top 6 centre playing with Copp and Wheeler. Or we have a better D. But either way we are a 1 line team.

The price for Laine needs to be higher than that or we are just shifting the weakness around.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade down to 13 for an additional 2nd round pick. Grab Mercer, Grieg and Foudy with our first three picks and our forward pool instantly becomes much better.

Why would some team give us a 2nd for that small move up? Do we even know who is in that spot? :laugh: That must be knowable now but I can't figure it out.

Our forward pool is much better. We now have twice as many B prospects. Mercer may or may not convert to C and I would rather have a lefty 2C. Those players are all a long way from the NHL. We still don't have a solid 2C prospect or a top pair RHD prospect.

I would rather trade our picks for players who might help in less than 3-4 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting

One positive I have heard scouts say about Perfetti is he has possibly the top hockey IQ in this draft class. Rossi is short at 5’9” Perfetti is closer to 5’11” so not ideal for a centre but that doesn’t scare me.

I would take Perfetti over Mercer but I love Mercer too. I love Lundell less than most of the guys on the board but if TNSE draft him I will break out the Pom poms

I would take Rossi as a kind of Lafreniere lite. Would very quickly make Connor expendable in trade for a C. Take RHD Helge Grans at 41, if still available, or else RHD Justin Barron. Hope that both are not gone by then.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why would some team give us a 2nd for that small move up? Do we even know who is in that spot? :laugh: That must be knowable now but I can't figure it out.

Our forward pool is much better. We now have twice as many B prospects. Mercer may or may not convert to C and I would rather have a lefty 2C. Those players are all a long way from the NHL. We still don't have a solid 2C prospect or a top pair RHD prospect.

I would rather trade our picks for players who might help in less than 3-4 years.

The rumour is Carolina is really high on Askarov and wants to take him at 13. There is a chance we could maybe convince them to move a 2nd to move up and get him at 10. But I don't think they'll bite. They likely see a path to getting him at 13.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would take Rossi as a kind of Lafreniere lite. Would very quickly make Connor expendable in trade for a C. Take RHD Helge Grans at 41, if still available, or else RHD Justin Barron. Hope that both are not gone by then.

Rossi is kind of like Laf, he's not a great skater but not a bad skater either. The only thing that worries me about both Rossi and Perfetti is how much they beat up on weak OHL competition this year but struggled against good teams. Byfield's consistency is an issue but at least he had good stretches against both good and bad teams.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The rumour is Carolina is really high on Askarov and wants to take him at 13. There is a chance we could maybe convince them to move a 2nd to move up and get him at 10. But I don't think they'll bite. They likely see a path to getting him at 13.
Only if it doesn't matter because you are essentially losing the chance to draft 3 guys before you get to pick for a guy who has a low chance of being a difference maker.

Reactions: hn777

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think Ekblad is enough for budding Superstar Patrik Laine. And if we're trading Patrik, that has to be the attitude.

I'd be more interested in Slavvin if we're trading Laine, I think.

I watched 10 minutes of Laine in the restart and came away convinced that he was ready to start taking over games.

On the other hand, I remember thinking the same thing about Kane...can't trade him yet, he's about to explode.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Only if it doesn't matter because you are essentially losing the chance to draft 3 guys before you get to pick for a guy who has a low chance of being a difference maker.

Yeah if the offer was on the table both teams would wait and see if Askarov makes it that far and if so is there a player we really like still available. If not I'd take that deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think Ekblad is enough for budding Superstar Patrik Laine. And if we're trading Patrik, that has to be the attitude.

I'd be more interested in Slavvin if we're trading Laine, I think.

I watched 10 minutes of Laine in the restart and came away convinced that he was ready to start taking over games.

On the other hand, I remember thinking the same thing about Kane...can't trade him yet, he's about to explode.

I doubt Carolina is all that interested in moving Slavin for Laine when they have Svechnikov developing pretty well.

That Kane remark is interesting because I thought the same thing after his 30 goal season. We can't move this kid, what if he scores 40 next year!?!?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Unless someone takes him sooner. If they really want him badly they should be willing to trade up. If they are content to take their chances, then they don't want him that badly. They do have two 2nds, if that makes it easier to part with one.

Who would you take at 13, if they were willing?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rossi is kind of like Laf, he's not a great skater but not a bad skater either. The only thing that worries me about both Rossi and Perfetti is how much they beat up on weak OHL competition this year but struggled against good teams. Byfield's consistency is an issue but at least he had good stretches against both good and bad teams.

I thought Rossi's skating was a strong point. Or maybe I just assumed, because smaller players are supposed to be quick. I am more concerned with elusiveness than top end speed. If he lacks that, I might fear a Petan like future.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Unless someone takes him sooner. If they really want him badly they should be willing to trade up. If they are content to take their chances, then they don't want him that badly. They do have two 2nds, if that makes it easier to part with one.

I'd look at Mercer at 13, assuming no obvious fallers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some random draft musings as I watch some playoff action...

Although it's usually difficult to understand Chevy's communication, in his recent interview he seemed to suggest that moving from #12 to #10 was significant, and indicated that he thought there would be good players / options by being at #10. I wonder if the Jets might be looking at some specific prospects that are more likely to be available at #10. Sanderson? Lundell? Quinn?

Watching the playoffs, it occurred to me that if the Jets are looking at forwards, they might want to consider not only skill, but also players that play in the congested / tough areas in the slot and are effective in board battles. I don't like Perron, but he's a type of player that seems to not only play with skill, but he also creates chances by playing aggressively around the slot and boards. Considering the 2020 draft class, I think players like Quinn, Mercer and Zary might fit that role better than a player like Holtz.

I've been up and down on Lundell, but watching the impact of a player like Horvat reminded me how much players can develop after 18. Horvat wasn't seen as a plus skater, and didn't have elite hands/skills. But he has a great work ethic and has really improved his skating and his skills through hard work, much as Scheifele and Harkins have done. By all accounts, Lundell is a high-character player who works hard, to go along with very high hockey IQ. He's produced well in terms of outputs (scoring and shot metrics) with the Liiga, and if he is willing to work hard he can improve his skating and skills substantially. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Lundell is picked at #10 by the Jets.

Watching other teams makes it really clear how much improvement the Jets need on D. I hope Samberg and Heinola are able to make an impact sooner, rather than later, but it would also be great to get a big shutdown D that can out-skate most opponents. Sanderson fits that profile, and would give the Jets one of the best D prospect pools in the NHL (Sanderson, Samberg, Heinola, Gawanke, Chisholm, etc.). Interestingly, Chevy made the point that young D can come in and make an immediate impact on a contending team, alluding to Samberg and Heinola as internal options for improving the D.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

All depends on whose available. There should be someone there I like.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Canes aren't the only team that would have an interest in moving up to get Askarov (Pens? Oilers? NJD? OTT?). If Chevy starts shopping that pick to various teams that like Askarov, the Canes would have pressure to make a good offer, if they really value Askarov. Jets could also consider balancing the trade a bit by offering a future 3rd or 4th round pick.

I would certainly consider moving to #13 for another mid-round 2nd. If Askarov goes at #10, then the Jets would be looking at players like Sanderson, Lundell, Holtz, Quinn, Jarvis and Mercer at #13.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Some random draft musings as I watch some playoff action...

Although it's usually difficult to understand Chevy's communication, in his recent interview he seemed to suggest that moving from #12 to #10 was significant, and indicated that he thought there would be good players / options by being at #10. I wonder if the Jets might be looking at some specific prospects that are more likely to be available at #10. Sanderson? Lundell? Quinn?

Watching the playoffs, it occurred to me that if the Jets are looking at forwards, they might want to consider not only skill, but also players that play in the congested / tough areas in the slot and are effective in board battles. I don't like Perron, but he's a type of player that seems to not only play with skill, but he also creates chances by playing aggressively around the slot and boards. Considering the 2020 draft class, I think players like Quinn, Mercer and Zary might fit that role better than a player like Holtz.

I've been up and down on Lundell, but watching the impact of a player like Horvat reminded me how much players can develop after 18. Horvat wasn't seen as a plus skater, and didn't have elite hands/skills. But he has a great work ethic and has really improved his skating and his skills through hard work, much as Scheifele and Harkins have done. By all accounts, Lundell is a high-character player who works hard, to go along with very high hockey IQ. He's produced well in terms of outputs (scoring and shot metrics) with the Liiga, and if he is willing to work hard he can improve his skating and skills substantially. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Lundell is picked at #10 by the Jets.

Watching other teams makes it really clear how much improvement the Jets need on D. I hope Samberg and Heinola are able to make an impact sooner, rather than later, but it would also be great to get a big shutdown D that can out-skate most opponents. Sanderson fits that profile, and would give the Jets one of the best D prospect pools in the NHL (Sanderson, Samberg, Heinola, Gawanke, Chisholm, etc.). Interestingly, Chevy made the point that young D can come in and make an immediate impact on a contending team, alluding to Samberg and Heinola as internal options for improving the D.
Samberg and Heinola are not far away from being good NHLers. One guy on D that could bring some size too may be Kovacevic. If one of him Gawanke or Chisholm can develop in a few years then we are in great shape. I agree we need some players that will go to dirty areas, I’m hoping KVes can become that guy at some point as he continues to develop. I think he can be a beast on the wall and in front of the net. I really liked Laine in his few games since return in the sense that he was really taking the body and finishing checks, I think he can continue to grow into more of a power forward with his size and strength.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd look at Mercer at 13, assuming no obvious fallers.

Of course it depends on who has gone before and who is still available. I still take Lundell there if he hasn't gone. Otherwise I would look at Schneider. If they were both gone, I would wish I had traded the pick somewhere for a C.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought Rossi's skating was a strong point. Or maybe I just assumed, because smaller players are supposed to be quick. I am more concerned with elusiveness than top end speed. If he lacks that, I might fear a Petan like future.

Scouts seem to be raving about his skating. I don't think it's a weakness per say but he's definitely not as quick as most players in the NHL that are around his size. He's smart, very skilled and makes quick reads and reactions. The one thing he has over Petan is he isn't scared to go to the dirty areas. Will that continue in the NHL? Who knows. That's always the major thing to me about smaller skilled players, will they continue to play the way they do when someone like Hedman is bearing down on them? There's a stark difference between just a big defender and a big defender with skill. Rossi undresses big defenders in the OHL all day, but none of them have any real skill to shut him down physically. So many of these kids have question marks that you just take him if he is the best guy on your list and hope you grabbed the right one.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Scouts seem to be raving about his skating. I don't think it's a weakness per say but he's definitely not as quick as most players in the NHL that are around his size. He's smart, very skilled and makes quick reads and reactions. The one thing he has over Petan is he isn't scared to go to the dirty areas. Will that continue in the NHL? Who knows. That's always the major thing to me about smaller skilled players, will they continue to play the way they do when someone like Hedman is bearing down on them? There's a stark difference between just a big defender and a big defender with skill. Rossi undresses big defenders in the OHL all day, but none of them have any real skill to shut him down physically. So many of these kids have question marks that you just take him if he is the best guy on your list and hope you grabbed the right one.
Rossi is a firecracker, I don’t think his game changes much at the next level, he is the real deal when it comes to being hard to play against even tho he’s not big.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is always going to be risk attached. The ability to make decisions under pressure is probably what NHL GM's have more of than most of us. It applies to the draft, to trades made and not made. They are making decisions to do or not do all the time. That is what they bring to the draft table. It is not evaluating talent. That is what they have scouts for. But the GM takes in all the information he can get and then decides. Look at the range of opinions here on players. I'll bet the range is pretty wide among the scouts in the draft meeting too. The GM makes the final decision. And takes the risk.

I wonder what Chevy was offered for #2 in '16? Laughed, smiled and politely said no, thanks.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Canes aren't the only team that would have an interest in moving up to get Askarov (Pens? Oilers? NJD? OTT?). If Chevy starts shopping that pick to various teams that like Askarov, the Canes would have pressure to make a good offer, if they really value Askarov. Jets could also consider balancing the trade a bit by offering a future 3rd or 4th round pick.

I would certainly consider moving to #13 for another mid-round 2nd. If Askarov goes at #10, then the Jets would be looking at players like Sanderson, Lundell, Holtz, Quinn, Jarvis and Mercer at #13.

I'm not 100% sold that Ottawa is big on Askarov, especially with Daccord, Soogard and Mandolese in their pool. Pens seem to have goaltending locked down between DeSmith, Murray and Jarry, they need far more help in many other areas though the rest of their prospect pool is basically barren. NJ has 23 year old Blackwood emerging who just posted a .915 in 47 games on one of the worst teams in the league. Edmonton just drafted Rodrigue in 2018 and Konovalov in 2019, who by all accounts is looking pretty damn good in the KHL. I can't see them picking up another Russian goalie when they need so much help in so many other areas.

Only other team that might have some interest in a high profile Russian goalie is Nashville, Rinne is old, Saros doesn't look like the answer and they don't have a whole heck of a lot in the pool.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
There is always going to be risk attached. The ability to make decisions under pressure is probably what NHL GM's have more of than most of us. It applies to the draft, to trades made and not made. They are making decisions to do or not do all the time. That is what they bring to the draft table. It is not evaluating talent. That is what they have scouts for. But the GM takes in all the information he can get and then decides. Look at the range of opinions here on players. I'll bet the range is pretty wide among the scouts in the draft meeting too. The GM makes the final decision. And takes the risk.

I wonder what Chevy was offered for #2 in '16? Laughed, smiled and politely said no, thanks.
Wasn’t that the Connor pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad