Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea February 9-25

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Maybe these figure skaters think it's not real competition yet because the opening ceremonies aren't until tomorrow night. Several having a tough night.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Maybe these figure skaters think it's not real competition yet because the opening ceremonies aren't until tomorrow night. Several having a tough night.

Opening ceremonies are actually at 6 AM Friday morning ET but NBC will stream it live

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Is that Chara out there? That dude is tall for a pairs figure skater

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Watching tonight brings back memories of working in Italy, Vancouver and Sochi but I really had no desire to travel 14 time zones. I'll be working some events at NBC in Stamford CT. If you have been watching curling, Trenni is in South Korea but the announcers are in Connecticut.

What goes into producing these games boggles the mind.

Live From PyeongChang: NBC’s Dave Mazza, Team Ready To Go

72,000+ Square feet of space inside the NBC Olympics compound at the International Broadcast Center in PyeongChang. ‘
2,000 Employees working in PyeongChang.
2,400+ Hours of coverage from PyeongChang, most ever for a Winter Olympics.
2,200 Terabytes of video disk storage (8.5 years’ worth of time) in PyeongChang.
1,800+ Hours of live streaming coverage, most-ever for a Winter Olympics.
1,600 Color broadcast monitors in NBC Olympics’ facilities in PyeongChang.
750 Employees working in NBC Sports Group’s International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn.
550 Total cameras used for the OBS host feed.
156 Additional cameras used by NBC Olympics.
127 Miles of cable to be used by NBC Olympics in PyeongChang.
126+ NBCUniversal’s coverage hours per day – nearly triple the entire coverage of the 1976 Innsbruck Winter Olympics (43.5) on ABC.
108 Number of HD feeds going from PyeongChang to the United States.
102 Total number of medal events, most ever for a Winter Olympics.
99 Number of sea containers shipped to PyeongChang by NBC Olympics.
89 A record 89 NBC Olympics commentators will present coverage of the PyeongChang Games, the most-ever for a Winter Olympics.
54 Years since NBC’s first Olympic broadcast (1964 Tokyo Games).
29 Edit suites located in the NBC Olympics compound in the International Broadcast Center and venues in PyeongChang.
17 Studios and control rooms used for NBC Olympics coverage (three studios and two control rooms in PyeongChang; five studios and seven control rooms in Stamford).
16 Number of Olympic Games (including PyeongChang) broadcast by NBCUniversal, most by any U.S. media company.
15 Number of sports featured in PyeongChang, comprising 102 medal events.
14 Number of hours PyeongChang is ahead of the U.S. Eastern Time zone.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Could they maybe lock the figure skating commentators in a soundproof room so they can listen to themselves talk while we enjoy the performances? :help:

Reactions: Fenway

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I love Tara and Johnny. I like the blunt commentary and I like how they explain the various elements.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I love Tara and Johnny. I like the blunt commentary and I like how they explain the various elements.
I'd like it better if they could reserve the bulk of the commentary for replays after the program is complete. It's hard for me to appreciate the artistic side of it if I'm listening to people talk over the music.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don’t think the US is going to medal in the team competition unless the ladies and ice dancing are flawless

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don’t think the US is going to medal in the team competition unless the ladies and ice dancing are flawless
Yeah, Chen didn't get them off to a good start.

I like to watch figure skating, but I like the pairs better than the individuals. In fact the ladies competition is my least favorite of the four. I figure I'm probably in the minority with that. :laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yeah, Chen didn't get them off to a good start.

I like to watch figure skating, but I like the pairs better than the individuals. In fact the ladies competition is my least favorite of the four. I figure I'm probably in the minority with that. :laugh:
I’ve come to really enjoy the ice dancing. Very technical and expressive.

I like the pairs too. I’m neutral on the men and women

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
NBC devoted a video package to pushing Nathan Chen as the next star skater, they spent all program showing him in anticipation of his performance, and he just went out there and choked hard.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If there was a pay per view Olympics channel that just followed Anastasia Bryzgalova around 24/7, pretty sure I'd pay whatever they were charging.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The 4-year-itch: Trying out curling is easier than ever - The Boston Globe

Every four years, like clockwork, the following two things happen: The Winter Olympics begin, and the phones at local curling clubs start ringing off the hook.

On the other end of the line, excited voices declare that they’ve just seen curling on television and really want to try the odd little sport with the brooms and the stones that slide across the ice.

In the past, this bit of Olympic buzz presented a quandary to curling advocates in New England. They welcomed the opportunity to expand the popularity of their sport, but they couldn’t capitalize on it; there simply weren’t enough venues to meet the demand. The quadrennial buzz inevitably died until the Olympics came again.

But this year, as the Winter Olympics begin, the situation is very different. Curling venues have popped up all over the region, part of an organized effort to take advantage of the Olympic rush.

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad