Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea February 9-25

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Even more sad is seeing all that talent on the potential roster that could and still should be in Boston playing for the Bruins.
Team is full of youth and future looking great but we're still seriously hung up on two guys who still haven't won a damn thing outside of Boston?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Team is full of youth and future looking great but we're still seriously hung up on two guys who still haven't won a damn thing outside of Boston?

Not really. Just would have liked to see those guys added to this mix or at the least have had their trade values maximized to add to this current mix.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ve-olympics/WGExFiPuRIuKaYi2dbWiHJ/story.html

Longtime USA Hockey executive and US Olympic men’s hockey general manager Jim Johannson died unexpectedly Sunday at age 53, shocking the sport less than three weeks before the start of the PyeongChang Games. Johannson died away in his sleep at his home in Colorado Springs, according to USA Hockey. Executive director Pat Kelleher said the organization is ‘‘beyond shocked and profoundly saddened’’ by the loss of the Rochester, Minn., native. His death came in the midst of the most high-profile role in his career: putting together the US men’s Olympic hockey team without NHL players going to South Korea, a position he relished after doing so at several world junior and world championships. ‘

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
US hockey GM Jim Johannson dies on eve of Olympics - The Boston Globe

Longtime USA Hockey executive and US Olympic men’s hockey general manager Jim Johannson died unexpectedly Sunday at age 53, shocking the sport less than three weeks before the start of the PyeongChang Games. Johannson died away in his sleep at his home in Colorado Springs, according to USA Hockey. Executive director Pat Kelleher said the organization is ‘‘beyond shocked and profoundly saddened’’ by the loss of the Rochester, Minn., native. His death came in the midst of the most high-profile role in his career: putting together the US men’s Olympic hockey team without NHL players going to South Korea, a position he relished after doing so at several world junior and world championships. ‘
Tragic , god speed

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
US hockey GM Jim Johannson dies on eve of Olympics - The Boston Globe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Not sure if this is supposed to be just Olympic hockey talk or all Olympics....

I've been watching the Olympic channel this afternoon. Speedskaters are on now. I'm always amazed they don't trip themselves with those huge skate blades.

Half pipe snowboarding was on earlier. I'm not a big fan, although I have no idea how they can flip themselves around like that. I get more annoyed by the announcers and their need to talk about "amplitude" constantly. :laugh:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm with Lonnie on this, would have preferred to see all skilled youth not in big leagues, the guys they chose are kind of perplexing and it's funny 1980 was brought up because those guys were all college/young

Congrats to the guys that got picked though and here's to it actually being good

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Kelly lives Olympic dream

Winning an Olympic gold medal and having his name on a Stanley Cup would be the perfect way to cap his career. If that happens, one of his first phone calls might be to former Boston teammate Patrice Bergeron, who won Olympic gold with Canada in 2010 and helped lead the Bruins to the Stanley Cup in 2011.
"Now, I (would) know Bergeron doesn’t have something over me — well maybe a few things,” Kelly said with a smile. “It would be pretty great to do that. Growing up I was never the best player in the league or on the team, but a lot of people would be like, ‘I was a better player than him. How did he get to do this?’
"I’m extremely fortunate.”

I like Kelly. If he won a medal, I would be happy for him.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I've been watching the Olympic channel this afternoon. Speedskaters are on now. I'm always amazed they don't trip themselves with those huge skate blades.

Half pipe snowboarding was on earlier. I'm not a big fan, although I have no idea how they can flip themselves around like that. I get more annoyed by the announcers and their need to talk about "amplitude" constantly. :laugh:
It is for all Olympic sports :)

Reactions: Bruinaura

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Kelly lives Olympic dream

Winning an Olympic gold medal and having his name on a Stanley Cup would be the perfect way to cap his career. If that happens, one of his first phone calls might be to former Boston teammate Patrice Bergeron, who won Olympic gold with Canada in 2010 and helped lead the Bruins to the Stanley Cup in 2011.
"Now, I (would) know Bergeron doesn’t have something over me — well maybe a few things,” Kelly said with a smile. “It would be pretty great to do that. Growing up I was never the best player in the league or on the team, but a lot of people would be like, ‘I was a better player than him. How did he get to do this?’
"I’m extremely fortunate.”

I like Kelly. If he won a medal, I would be happy for him.

Me too, always appreciated his contributions, never took any short cuts

I`m looking forward to hockey at the games. I`ve long been one who was never too enthused about NHL`ers playing in the Olympics.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

This is awesome... The Preds practice facility will also have curling. I'm going to have to check it out.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1517762025263.jpg

Getting closer!

Think I'm going to have to watch Miracle again. I love the opening with the montage of American history leading up to those Olympics, and I always cry a little when they show the real Herb Brooks at the end.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I love long track speedskating. The short track stuff is fun for a change of pace, but I love the long track stuff, going all the way back to Eric the great at Lake Placid

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Debating flying out next Saturday for 2 nights in Seoul and catching some Curling and Luge. Both have tickets open on Monday the 12th.

I love being able to hop on a plane. :)

Reactions: eightspokedb

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Russia should win the men's hockey tournament with ease. I will still watch because it is the Olympics, but this is like having the NHL on lockout and you have to watch the AHL instead, yeah it is hockey, but just not the same without the best players being there. As for what was available for Canada, I am really surprised they did not take P.A. Parenteau, decent NHL goal scorer and good in shoot outs and also big shock no Zach Boychuck, he was great for them in the Spengler cup and I think led the team in scoring.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

This made me smile.

He wore the C in the game and while they aren’t naming the Captain until later this week, most expect him to wear it.

Speaks volumes of why Peter Chiarelli gave up what he did to bring him to Boston.

Reactions: sarge88

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
View attachment 95749

Getting closer!

Think I'm going to have to watch Miracle again. I love the opening with the montage of American history leading up to those Olympics, and I always cry a little when they show the real Herb Brooks at the end.

Is there anythign like this with EST times? I think the time difference and social media is going to ruin it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
2:40 am, 7:10 am or 10:10 pm are the hockey times.

I’m never going to sleep lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad