Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea February 9-25

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Thx.
With no real hockey I only want to watch for the crashes. Luge, bobsled, downhill, etc..

Yeah, im sick like that.
Watch mass start speed skating. They literally called it NASCAR on ice tonight. :laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Other than Hockey how can anyone relate to this? Do any of us have memories of going to Little League Bobsled or Pop Warner Figure Skating. How about Babe Ruth Luge?

Hockey aside the Winter Olympics is the most elitist and pompous of all sporting events

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Other than Hockey how can anyone relate to this? Do any of us have memories of going to Little League Bobsled or Pop Warner Figure Skating. How about Babe Ruth Luge?

Hockey aside the Winter Olympics is the most elitist and pompous of all sporting events

Really? Most people at least here have skated, and probably many young people have taken at least beginner figure skating. And anyone who ever skated tried to race their best friend. So I would say most of the skating events are relatable.

Skiing much the same way. Good grief I haven't skied since I was 7, but I do remember being on the bunny slope and trying to get into my tuck like Frans Klammer.

And anyone who lives in an area where is snows can relate to hopping on a sled and trying to go fast.

Reactions: Alicat and BMC

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Really? Most people at least here have skated, and probably many young people have taken at least beginner figure skating. And anyone who ever skated tried to race their best friend. So I would say most of the skating events are relatable.

Skiing much the same way. Good grief I haven't skied since I was 7, but I do remember being on the bunny slope and trying to get into my tuck like Frans Klammer.

And anyone who lives in an area where is snows can relate to hopping on a sled and trying to go fast.
Most people have not skated or taken figure skating. And if they did where do they get to compete at a high level during youth like Hockey or Basketball or Baseball?

Skiing, I grew up in Northern Vermont in the 80’s and unless your parents could afford a season lift ticket could you even start to think of getting good. Meanwhile there were no varsity ski teams.

Sled going fast? Yes you are right. Any knob can strap their ass to a board and let gravity take over.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
it's only specialized ski schools.... that's why Carrabasset Valley Academy, exists here, or unless you have a mountain in your region....

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Αρχαίο Πνεύμα αθάνατο, αγνέ πατέρα
του ωραίου, του μεγάλου και του αληθινού,
Κατέβα, φανερώσου κι άστραψε εδώ πέρα
στη δόξα της δικής σου γης και τ' ουρανού.
Στο δρόμο και στο πάλεμα και στο λιθάρι
Στων ευγενών αγώνων λάμψε την ορμή
Και με το αμάραντο στεφάνωσε κλωνάρι
και σιδερένιο πλάσε και άξιο το κορμί. (δις)
Κάμποι, βουνά και θάλασσες φέγγουνε μαζί σου
σαν ένας λευκοπόρφυρος μέγας ναός.
Και τρέχει στο ναό εδώ προσκυνητής σου (δις)
Αρχαίο Πνεύμα αθάνατο, κάθε λαός. (δις)

Olympian flame immortal
Whose beacon lights our way
Emblaze our hearts with the fires of hope
On this momentous day
As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold
Sing out each nation, voices strong
Rise up in harmony
All hail our brave Olympians
With strains of victory
Olympic light burn on and on
O'er seas and mountains and plains
Unite, inspire, bring honor
To these ascending games

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Awesome :) my brother still has his, with the five inch floppy drive and all. :biglaugh:

Oh the five inch floppy drive and a.........YOU MEAN THE 1541?!?!?!?!?!
Commodore64_fdd1541_front_demodified.jpg

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A friend’s nephew lost his leg tragically in an accident several years ago and he’s on the US team now.

Those athletes are so inspiring.
Inspiring is a good word for them. Sorry to hear about your friend's nephew, but it sounds like he is doing well, to make the team. :)

I know two men who each lost a leg (one from a mine in Vietnam, the other I'm not sure but I think was for medical reasons). The son of the Vietnam vet went on to become a prosthetics doctor because of his dad.

Neither of these guys played sports after their amputations, to my knowledge, although one has thrown out the first pitch at a Braves game or two. They are also two of the funniest guys I have ever met.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I'm going to date myself, but one of my favorite computer games growing up was Winter Olympics on my brother's Commodore 64.

Yay for 80s computer graphics :laugh:

Yeah for the Commodore 64! (My first real job)

If anybody cares, Netflix is releasing a documentary The Commodore Story on Feb 23. I’m not in it (can you believe?!) but a couple of my old bosses are.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah for the Commodore 64! (My first real job)

If anybody cares, Netflix is releasing a documentary The Commodore Story on Feb 23. I’m not in it (can you believe?!) but a couple of my old bosses are.
I'll have to tell my brother, although I wouldn't be surprised if he already knows lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad