2018 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule (post #1)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Andretti Autosport/Michael Andretti fighting civil suit against its sports marketing holdings/Andretti Sports Marketing/over race promotions, as to whether AA is financially solvent, or for AA to be placed into receivership.

all existing contracts (RHR, CM, Marco Andretti expected to be retained as is the limited schedule for Justin Wilson.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Extremely sad news. IndyCar needs to seriously consider closing the car roofs.

RIP Justin.

Insensitive remark about open vs. closed cockpits,tbth, Caps Circle.

Indycar was just getting over the Wheldon tragedy, which led to the DW12 Dallara chassis.

Eddie understands this, the complaints that followed Indy after Hinchcliffe's injury, and the aero package was discontinued after multiple flips of multiple cars.

this past 48 hours which began with Kimball's qualifying wreck, I knew something was inheritly going to happen.

The one all of us should keep our eyes on while mourning Justin is Sage Karam.

I can now totally understand why Indycar left Pocono, but why were guardrails ever placed or installed because closed cockpit cars can and have found obstructions on course/track, a 50/50 proposition on returning, Indycar has passed on Vegas (Wheldon), not returning to Fontana (AC Speedway), Milwaukee also likely done.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Something I wrote up on a different message board, figured I'd copy and paste it here, in case anyone wants to read what I know about JW at least.

As a big IndyCar fan, this one hurts a lot. They all hurt a lot, of course.

Justin Wilson's nickname for ages has been "Bad Ass", and I don't really know why, but he did drive like one. He would drive the wheels off the car, and yet keep it clean. I think he might have been the best driver in the world at conserving fuel, I don't know how many races in his Champ Car/IndyCar career he finished well in just because he could make fuel and still keep his speed up somehow.

He was also a giant, towering over the jockey-like IndyCar drivers at 6'2". He'd sustained several injuries in the past from this, because they'd have to make exceptions to the cockpit for him, such as removing padding that lead to a back injury in Mid Ohio in... I want to say 2010.

From every story you'll ever hear, he was an exceptional ambassador for the sport. There was a story I read today from someone on Reddit about how in an autograph line, he heard the same joke (I think it was about his height) every three minutes or so... just as soon as the line moved enough for the joke to be fresh to those in line. But every time he'd laugh like he'd heard the joke for the first time.

He always, always had a smile and a joke ready for anyone. Not that he was a prankster really, just a fun human being to be around. Again, from what I've read. I, unfortunately, never had the chance to meet him.

He has a younger brother coming up through the IndyCar ladder system, though I'm thinking Stefan's career maybe has stalled out at this point. He also has a wife and two young daughters.

His start into racing was kind of unique. He knew he had the talent over in the UK, but had to put himself out as a stock to raise the money to come to the US and begin in Champ Car. From there, he was obviously quick, but never landed the best ride. He started off with one of the slower teams, Conquest. Then he moved to the new RuSPORT organization the next year. And while his rookie year was filled with ups and downs, the ups proved he was going to be a quality driver. He stuck with RuSPORT as it turned into RSPORT. The ride wasn't super competitive, being a cut behind the top two teams of Newman-Haas and Forsythe... but he could put the car in victory lane on a good day, and that's hard to do without the right equipment.

When Sebastian Bourdais left after winning his 4th title, Newman-Haas tapped him on the shoulder and gave him a chance to drive for the top team in Champ Car. However, before this could come to fruition, Champ Car unified with the IRL IndyCar series. The Champ Car DP-01 chassis that Bourdais and Newman-Haas had won the previous championship with was scrapped, and the team purchased the IR-07 Dallara chassis that the IRL IndyCar series had been running for virtually 5 years. Justin Wilson and Newman-Haas found themselves playing catch-up that entire year, the year JW's ride was supposed to be top-of-it's-class. He did manage one victory that season though, in Detroit. At the end of 2008, I imagine partly due to Paul Newman's failing health, the team downsized staff, and Justin was caught out in a contract year.

He bounced around between Dale Coyne Racing, and Dreyer and Reinbold Racing. Two teams with owners with a real passion for the sport... but perhaps not the best engineering. He still managed to have very good drivers in this bottom-end equipment.

Over the years he also ran sports cars, most notably winning the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2012.

In 2015, he was again caught out in a contract year. He sat out most of 2015, but towards the end, Andretti Autosport... one of the top teams in IndyCar, desperately needing all the help it could get in honing in it's chassis... brought him in for the remainder of the year to try and help sort out the new aero-kits. And he seemed to have an immediate effect for the team. Two races in, his team mate Ryan Hunter-Reay, who was having just about the worst season a former Champion could have in his prime, found success at the oval race in Iowa. I have to think this was largely helped by JW giving the team some info on the car, because it was such an outlier to that point for the entire team.

It seemed like JW was about to finally get a break going into 2016, with the top-flight Andretti team wanting to keep him on next year.

This was just such a fluke thing to happen... yes, I know it's happened before, but unlike a Wheldon or Earnhardt "pack racing" kind of crash... you just can't foresee this one happening in any sort of predictable way. And that makes it especially hard to stomach.

The IndyCar paddock, and the motorsports community in general, now has one less talented driver, and one less fantastic person. And obviously, one less bad ass.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I'm sure the masses that tuned in loved this race, but I can't stand Dixon, and the penalty to Bourdais was so race-fixing and bull****ty that it ruined everything for me.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If the series weren't already in such bad shape for so many reasons it was an exciting finish to the season. I don't know how you couldn't penalize Bourdais. He flat out punted Rahal.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
INDYCAR’s 2016 Schedule Features 100th Indy 500, Key Venues, Longer Span

The complete schedule, with television networks and times (all ET):

• March 13 Streets of St. Petersburg ABC 12:30 p.m.
  • April 2 Phoenix International Raceway NBCSN 8 p.m.
  • April 17 Streets of Long Beach NBCSN 4 p.m.
  • April 24 Barber Motorsports Park NBCSN 3 p.m.
  • May 14 Grand Prix of Indianapolis ABC 3:30 p.m.
  • May 29 Indianapolis 500 ABC 11 a.m.
  • June 4 Raceway at Belle Isle Park ABC 3:30 p.m.
  • June 5 Raceway at Belle Isle Park ABC 3:30 p.m.
  • June 11 Texas Motor Speedway NBCSN 8 p.m.
  • June 26 Road America NBCSN 12:30 p.m.
  • July 10 Iowa Speedway NBCSN 5 p.m.
  • July 17 Streets of Toronto NBCSN 3 p.m.
  • July 31 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course NBCSN 2 p.m.
  • Aug. 21 Pocono Raceway NBCSN 3 p.m.
  • Sept. 4 Streets of Boston NBCSN 2 p.m.
  • Sept. 18 Sonoma Raceway NBCSN 7 p.m.

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=103098

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Wouldn't mind it if they stopped going to the oval tracks

I have mixed feelings. Ovals are, without a doubt more dangerous. But ovals have had some of the most exciting races/finishes. Maybe they just keep Indy and the small ovals like Milwaukee, Phoenix, and maybe Richmond if they can get back in there.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I have mixed feelings. Ovals are, without a doubt more dangerous. But ovals have had some of the most exciting races/finishes. Maybe they just keep Indy and the small ovals like Milwaukee, Phoenix, and maybe Richmond if they can get back in there.

The smaller ovals I don't mind but the bigger ones like Texas and Fontana allow them to reach speeds that are dangerous when the track is designed to push cars back down the track instead of keeping them on the sides.

One track I'm curious they don't try out is the Le Mans configuration for Daytona.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The smaller ovals I don't mind but the bigger ones like Texas and Fontana allow them to reach speeds that are dangerous when the track is designed to push cars back down the track instead of keeping them on the sides.

One track I'm curious they don't try out is the Le Mans configuration for Daytona.

No argument there. I was at Fontana when Greg Moore died.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad