2018 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule (post #1)

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Here's the new Chevy aerokit.

phpThumb.php

It's not a looker, but it's better than the Dallara's amorphous blobby look.

This looks ugly, but pissed off about it. So that's... improvement.

It's no Champ Car though

2000-Toyota-Indy-Champ-Car.jpg

:cry:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'll agree that's not very attractive. It has a cluttered look to it. But I suppose that's where the aero is designed in. It will be interesting to see the difference among however many there are. But if it makes the racing better I'll learn to love it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Why does Indy have strange aero kits compared to F1/GP2/GP3?

Ovals and high banked curves? I remember when the F1 cars tires where falling apart back IIRC in 2004 or 05 at Indy, because they couldn't handle the stresses; maybe these different aero kits provide more downforce.

TBH, I have no idea. Open wheel in the US hasn't been the same to me since the Champ days. I've always liked F1 a bit more, but they have their own issues and turn offs for me too.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Why does Indy have strange aero kits compared to F1/GP2/GP3?

1) Dallara makes ugly cars. The aero kit here might be done by Chevy, but they're working off Dallara's "safety cell". You might ask why Dallara keeps getting permission to make cars that break backs and send drivers hurtling towards fences ... cars that are ugly... to make cars... And it's because they built a shop right next door to the Indy Motor Speedway recently. Yeah, no, that's pretty much it. Lola, Swift, BAT (who?) and others all had much better design proposals for IndyCar that were beautiful, yet the Hulman-George clan decided to go with the ugliest, probably most dangerous design.

2) The winglets and all are reminiscent of some shenanigans that happened in Formula One a few years ago. The wider distance between the tires is for stability on ovals.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
A new track record was set at St. Pete yesterday by Will Power, finally besting Sebastien Bourdais' time from CART 2003.

We're finally moving forward. Looking forward to the race this afternoon =D

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Congrats to Juan Pablo. :thumbu:

The Captain sure looks like he's coming out of the gate fast. I liked seeing Tony finish on the podium. I sure hope those new aero kits aren't going to turn every race into a nascar debrisfest. (Although the Indycar cautions are always legit.)

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Congrats to Juan Pablo. :thumbu:

The Captain sure looks like he's coming out of the gate fast. I liked seeing Tony finish on the podium. I sure hope those new aero kits aren't going to turn every race into a nascar debrisfest. (Although the Indycar cautions are always legit.)

I know it was only one race, but I'm getting giddy thinking we're possibly getting a form of the '99 Montoya that made me an instant fan.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I know it was only one race, but I'm getting giddy thinking we're possibly getting a form of the '99 Montoya that made me an instant fan.

I think the whole series has a much higher level of drivers than it has had in the past. I'm looking forward to a very competitive season. Of course the first year of aerokits might have an impact on competitiveness, but only time will tell. I just hope they quit losing wings as often as they did Sunday. I'm not a big fan of cautions.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Penske really has set the bar pretty high for the season already.

You have to be thinking that Chevy is the better package compared to Honda right now. So all the Honda teams are going to be reaching just to come even with the average Chevy team.

But then Penske isn't the average Chevy team, is it? Boy did they put on a clinic in St. Pete. Only a Ganassi car and a 4-time Champion could even come close to hanging with them. I'm not sure that Honda's odds of reaching victory lane are very high this year. And I think you could see the majority of races won by Penske.

Unless Honda unlocks some magic somehow with their speedway kit.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Penske really has set the bar pretty high for the season already.

You have to be thinking that Chevy is the better package compared to Honda right now. So all the Honda teams are going to be reaching just to come even with the average Chevy team.

But then Penske isn't the average Chevy team, is it? Boy did they put on a clinic in St. Pete. Only a Ganassi car and a 4-time Champion could even come close to hanging with them. I'm not sure that Honda's odds of reaching victory lane are very high this year. And I think you could see the majority of races won by Penske.

Unless Honda unlocks some magic somehow with their speedway kit.

You may be right about Team Penske but hopefully that was only one track. My bigger fear is that even in equal equipment the Captain just has everybody covered with better talent from the garage to the cockpit.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
We'll see if anything changes come the ovals. But this year is going to be Penske, Penske, more Penske, and Scott Dixon. (with Hinchcliffe getting a flukish win at NOLA)

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Great for the series to see two Yanks finish 1-2. Also great just to see some younger guys be more competitive in the series. Newgarden has shown signs off and on. In all honesty I had given up on Rahal (and Andretti) ever being top drivers in the series. Rahal looked like a man possessed closing in on the lead. He spent the whole day driving by some very good drivers. I don't know what got into him but I'd love for it to be real.

On to Indy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad