WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Motzko and his assistants certainly earned the opportunity to lead the charge again. It can be hard to replicate the conditions that led to success in a given year, but I'm confident in Motzko because he demonstrated in the last tournament that he's willing to change things up on the fly in a short tournament. That's been something other Team USA coaches have stubbornly refused to do and it's cost the WJC team dearly in prior tournaments, so that's a huge plus with Motzko.

This will be the first time the WJC team will have the same head coach in back-to-back tournaments since the 2001/2002 tournaments when Keith Allain was the coach. Prior to Allain, Jeff Jackson coached the WJC team 4 years in a row.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I think Barratt and Farrance looked really goid in the U18's and assume they'll be considered. The team was great but its funny....last year, Fox jumped off the screen at me. I was convinced he was a lock for Juniors after this tourney. I dont have anything close to that feeling about any of these guys.

I honestly dont know what to think about Hughes. He's obviously skilled but I worry about decision making. I'd love to hear the opinions if people who have seen more of him than I have.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I honestly dont know what to think about Hughes. He's obviously skilled but I worry about decision making. I'd love to hear the opinions if people who have seen more of him than I have.

I watched him for the past two years with the NTDP. He's a terrific skater and puck handler. However, there are times when he seems to like carrying the puck too much. Also, he's undersized, so he's not a very physical presence.

everything

Jan 5, 2017
You can forget about seeing USA Clayton Keller in next year WJH tournament. He might be rookie of the year in the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You can forget about seeing USA Clayton Keller in next year WJH tournament. He might be rookie of the year in the NHL.

Knowing Tippett, I seriously doubt that. I could be wrong but I think he's likely to start in Tucson. He wasn't good when he got the chance to play alongside Dvorak so I suspect they want him and Strome to develop chemistry and and go for a Calder Cup. The Coyotes have guys like Fischer or DeAngelo who should make the roster and with many other young kids already there I seriously doubt Tippett intends to play them all.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Knowing Tippett, I seriously doubt that. I could be wrong but I think he's likely to start in Tucson. He wasn't good when he got the chance to play alongside Dvorak so I suspect they want him and Strome to develop chemistry and and go for a Calder Cup. The Coyotes have guys like Fischer or DeAngelo who should make the roster and with many other young kids already there I seriously doubt Tippett intends to play them all.

Keller is not playing a game in the AHL next year. He is already ahead of Dvorak and Fischer currently. Wish we could have him as he is a massive loss for this team, but he is a NHLer, and his World Championship play has cemented it.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think USAH (and us fans) should definitely not count on Keller, and he won't be at the summer WJC camp, but with Tippett at the helm of the Coyotes, never say never.

Keller is easily Arizona's best prospect, but Tippett seems to always defer to the bigger, "safer", more defensive-oriented guys when the skill guys aren't putting up points, especially when they're young. Tippett's natural inclination will be to favor young guys like Perlini, Crouse, Fischer, etc. because of their makeup and that's not even counting other young guys like Domi and Duclair. That's not to say Keller won't go in and play so well that Tippett would even consider anything other than cementing him in the top six, but I don't think it's a shoo-in that Tippett doesn't Tippett if Keller doesn't start the season putting up too many points for him to ignore.

Again, I'm not saying Keller will be available. He's incredibly talented and smart, and he's also a really hard worker. But I'd say his availability odds are closer to Tkachuk last year, or Hanifin the year before, than they are say to Matthews, Eichel, or Werenski in the last two years.

Then again, that doesn't take into account that the Coyotes wouldn't release Christian Fischer last year despite the fact that the Coyotes stunk and he was in the AHL. :popcorn:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Keller is not playing a game in the AHL next year. He is already ahead of Dvorak and Fischer currently. Wish we could have him as he is a massive loss for this team, but he is a NHLer, and his World Championship play has cemented it.

Keller ahead of Dvorak? In what world? The European Ice may even out a but c'mon. I watch a lot of Coyotes games and I can confirm Dvorak played the 2nd half of the season in a top6 role and even took the tougher matchups and defensive zone starts for Hanzal. His role only changed when Hanzal got traded. Dvorak finally got more offensive zone starts, PP time and better linemates but found himself all alone on the Center position with Jooris, Holland and Martinook being Centres 2-4. Martinook isn't even a Center but a bottom six Winger. Despite not being productive in the 1st half, he finished the season with 15 goals and 33 points and a remarkable +7 on a terribly bad team. The 2nd best player in that department who played at least 50% was Shane Doan with -3. Dvorak would have finished even higher if he didn't have to carry Keller for three games, resulting in a -3. Keller surely didn't look like he belonged back then while fellow prospects DeAngelo, Perlini, Chychrun, Fischer and of course Dvorak all had strong debuts. Small sample size but since his first games were about as bad as Strome's, I'm pretty sure the two will start in Tucson. They may get called up at some point but this remains to be seen.

To summarize, you're comparing a top6 Center with a prospect that hasn't shown anything whatsoever in NA pro hockey. Not a good comparison. Keller might be better than I think but you shouldn't read too much into his performance here in Europe.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Keller ahead of Dvorak? In what world? The European Ice may even out a but c'mon. I watch a lot of Coyotes games and I can confirm Dvorak played the 2nd half of the season in a top6 role and even took the tougher matchups and defensive zone starts for Hanzal. His role only changed when Hanzal got traded. Dvorak finally got more offensive zone starts, PP time and better linemates but found himself all alone on the Center position with Jooris, Holland and Martinook being Centres 2-4. Martinook isn't even a Center but a bottom six Winger. Despite not being productive in the 1st half, he finished the season with 15 goals and 33 points and a remarkable +7 on a terribly bad team. The 2nd best player in that department who played at least 50% was Shane Doan with -3. Dvorak would have finished even higher if he didn't have to carry Keller for three games, resulting in a -3. Keller surely didn't look like he belonged back then while fellow prospects DeAngelo, Perlini, Chychrun, Fischer and of course Dvorak all had strong debuts. Small sample size but since his first games were about as bad as Strome's, I'm pretty sure the two will start in Tucson. They may get called up at some point but this remains to be seen.

To summarize, you're comparing a top6 Center with a prospect that hasn't shown anything whatsoever in NA pro hockey. Not a good comparison. Keller might be better than I think but you shouldn't read too much into his performance here in Europe.

I based my opinion off of years of actually following these kids.

Keller was better 2 years ago.

Keller was better 1 year ago.

Keller was better this year and will be again next year. He is a better overall player than Dvorak who is a great player in his own right. He is a prospect due to his age only, why that makes him not a better player than Dvorak is beyond absurd.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I based my opinion off of years of actually following these kids.

Keller was better 2 years ago.

Keller was better 1 year ago.

Keller was better this year and will be again next year. He is a better overall player than Dvorak who is a great player in his own right. He is a prospect due to his age only, why that makes him not a better player than Dvorak is beyond absurd.

Keller never played pro hockey before. He showed well in this tournament and he had three poor outings in the NHL. Based on that, he's nowhere near Dvorak who played half of his rookie campaign as a top6 Center and did extremely well. To even compare a player who had nothing but three poor outings in NA pro hockey with a proven top6 Centerman is crazy.

Again, it may be possible that Keller is already a better player than I think...however I'd be surprised if he ever reached Dvorak's level. Dvorak is gonna be one heck of a two way Center.
Keller certainly won't be too much of a factor in the NHL next season. I'm convinced that the Coyotes, after they didn't manage to impress last season, have fixed plans to start both Stome and Keller in Tucson. They would probably need crazy strong camps to make the opening roster.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Keller never played pro hockey before. He showed well in this tournament and he had three poor outings in the NHL. Based on that, he's nowhere near Dvorak who played half of his rookie campaign as a top6 Center and did extremely well. To even compare a player who had nothing but three poor outings in NA pro hockey with a proven top6 Centerman is crazy.

Again, it may be possible that Keller is already a better player than I think...however I'd be surprised if he ever reached Dvorak's level. Dvorak is gonna be one heck of a two way Center.
Keller certainly won't be too much of a factor in the NHL next season. I'm convinced that the Coyotes, after they didn't manage to impress last season, have fixed plans to start both Stome and Keller in Tucson. They would probably need crazy strong camps to make the opening roster.

Half a season doesn't make anyone a proven anything.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Half a season doesn't make anyone a proven anything.

Okay, you may be right about that. On the other side, he was good all season long. I don't remember him having one single rough game. He played heavy minutes in a top6 role for half a season and he did it under very very difficult circumstances at first in very defensive role and then after the Hanzal trade on a terribly weak team with zero center depth. Based on that, I can't think of a reason why he shouldn't be able to at least repeat what he showed in his rookie season. In fact, I'm even convinced that he just scratched the surface of his potential...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Another strong team, missing Keller level talent but still good depth up front.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Pretty good looking roster. It'll be interesting to see how the CHLers figure in to the team. Interesting to see Day too, especially if he gets an invite to Canada's camp too, haha. I'm excited about those games vs Canada too, hopefully this is the start to some type of summer super series in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00