Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
That is one example, but its a hilarious rhetoric. I can count probably close to double digit similar chances that Dallas has given up to Colorado in their 3 games where Oettinger has bailed them out. Or probably closer to 20 or30 that Swayman has bailed Boston out. It's laughable that people think these types of chances don't happen almost every single night and often multiple times every single night around the league.

If it's so hilarious why does it keep getting trotted out every playoffs.

Since 2020, the Oilers easily have the worst Goals against among teams with 30 games played:

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Since 2020, the Oilers easily have the worst Goals against among teams with 30 games played:

Yes, because the goaltending sucks.

Read the post you quoted.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It’s hard to feel like this Canucks-Oilers series wouldnt be something else with healthy Demko

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
To me, hiring Holland was a lazy move based on what he accomplished pre-cap era. A time when all you had to do was call the best players and hand them the most money. Did they even notice what he did in Detroit for the previous decade? He left them in shambles. Five years in and the same issues (D and goaltending) are sinking the team.

Six defensive defenseman and an average NHL goalie would probably be enough to get them a cup. Not only are guys like Nurse & Ceci useless. But, they are also direct liabilities. Seriously. Why aren't they in the press box by now. Get guys up from the AHL.

If I'm Draisaitl, I tell the organization to forget any extensions until a legit #1 goalie is signed. Along with actual defensive defenceman. If that means they trade him, so be it. But until the day those signings occur, no extension.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Skinner is amazing.jpg

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Normally I'm all for crucifying a goaltender, but the defensive breakdowns that led to the goals last night were hilarious. I think greaser fans are reaching trying to blame the goaltender because of how bad their defensive system are, and, how many high danger chances they surrendered. I'm not going to cry any tears for a team that has been gifted so many number one picks. I wish them nothing but failure in the postseason

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Oilers didn’t even try to play defense in the 1st period and lost the game. Margins are thin in the playoffs, can’t rely on the PP to save your bacon every game

Reactions: HockeyWooot

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, because the goaltending sucks.

Read the post you quoted.

It has been the same narrative since 2020.

Normally I'm all for crucifying a goaltender, but the defensive breakdowns that led to the goals last night were hilarious. I think greaser fans are reaching trying to blame the goaltender because of how bad their defensive system are, and, how many high danger chances they surrendered. I'm not going to cry any tears for a team that has been gifted so many number one picks. I wish them nothing but failure in the postseason

McDavid especially seems out of place. The Oilers went from having four players playing low vs. the Canucks two to two Oilers on one of those players and Draisaitl turning away to cover the point man instead of Boeser because he clearly thought McDavid had him.

I wonder when Draisaitl and McDavid are out together are the defensive responsibilities set (one is on the other C and the other covers the point) or do they wing it i.e. the first guy back goes deep and the other stays high.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Oilers didn’t even try to play defense in the 1st period and lost the game. Margins are thin in the playoffs, can’t rely on the PP to save your bacon every game

Since 2020, the Oilers have won 13 games when they outscored their opponents at ES and lost 19 times when they got outscored at ES.

They won 6 games when the had more PP goals and lost 4 times despite scoring more PP goals.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Why isn’t there a more of a call out of the team in front of him.

Team defence, depth, strong defence corps, structured play, puck battles etc is a hallmark of all the remaining teams except the Oilers.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Goals 2 and 3 were off bad defensive zone. Cover by McDavid going to the boards when ekholm had the man leaving Boeser wide open in the slot. Then Foegle gives the puck away in transition.
Are we just playing devils advocate here or...?

Jay Woodcroft must have the biggest shit eating grin while shoveling Cheetos in his mouth tonight lmao
Jay Woodcroft kept going back to this sieve last year when average goaltending could have got the Oilers past the Knights. He can eat shit while grinning.

BTW this is a much tougher series than the LVK one from last year.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
That's just not true however. High danger chances were 4 to 1 in Oil's favour. Silov allows 2 goals less than is expected while the Skinmeister allows 2 goals more than is expected (about).

In short, no, it's not because the D is bad. It's because Skinner can't make a save. An average goalie with advanced stats in the median would've won the Oil each of these games.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Very few teams play like the Oilers. The same reason they put up huge point totals is the same reason their goaltending sucks. Their top forwards are always looking to fly the zone and defense is an afterthought. Look at Boeser's goals, it's rare you see any player with the puck with that much time in front of the goalie.
Those goals werent unsaveable. Every goalienhas at least 10 high danger chances given up per game, they just save some of them so people forget about them. Heck silvos made.several better saves on more difficult defensive breakdowns than the goals skinner let up andnhes a 3rd string goalie.

Both skinner and pickard had .910ish sv% this regular season behind this same team defense during regular season. Skinner just melts under the pressure.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Kuemper was their weak leak but he wasn’t this bad. That Avs team would have a harder time with Skinner. They were also one of the more deeper, dominant teams winning the cup.

Oilers playing style come with faults. They don’t particular need a 2011 Tim Thomas to win but they do need a goalie that can actually make a timely save to help them or not give up a stinker goal where they can then reward him for it by scoring more goals to give him a cushion. They are not gonna all of sudden play dead puck era hockey just cause their goalie is not reliable with shot confidence right now probably.
Kuemper was bad during the blues and beginning of oilers series, butnthat was after he was stabbed in the eye during the 1st round, and he later exitednthebrest of the oilers series because his eye was bothering him. His eyesight was probably never 100% during the games in between he was playing. He played a couple good games in the cup finals.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Hate to pile on but Skinner never really passed “the eye test” to me. Very average lateral movement, reflexes, and athleticism for an NHL starting goalie.

The contrast is pretty stark to Sliovs, who looks like prime MAF in comparison

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

The pilers defense was bad by the statistics priornto this year. That isnt the case anymore.

Also mike smith wasnt nearly as bad as skinner when defense was worse for him. And smith did let it LAUGHABLEY bad goals you couldnt possibly blame defense on including a flip from the opponents own end, although he made way more better saves for all the super softies he let in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad