WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Maybe slightly off topic for this thread but do you know who, if any, outsiders they might bring in for the U18 tournament like they did with Brown, Mittelstadt, and Yamamoto last year?

I'd guess they're going to target quite a few players:

• F - Ivan Lodnia
  • F - Alex Chmelevski
  • F - Ryan Poehling
  • F - Jason Robertson
  • G - Cayden Primeau
  • G - Keith Petruzelli

It will depend on who's available, but those would all be top targets. They need some more skill up front, and they badly need a starting goalie. No obvious defensemen to target, but they could use a guy there too. It's been tough that the U17 team has underperformed so badly because originally we figured there'd be at least a few guys playing up for the U18s come tournament time.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Anyone think any of the 2018 eligible draft kids have a shot, haven't kept up too much with them. Like Wise, Wilde, Wahlstrom etc?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anyone think any of the 2018 eligible draft kids have a shot, haven't kept up too much with them. Like Wise, Wilde, Wahlstrom etc?

Not at this point. The U17 team has been a disappointment so far.

Has he declared internationally yet? I thought he chose Canada

He can play for either country as he's yet to play in an IIHF tournament so far. He tried out for Team USA's WJC team this year, but was cut during summer camp.

Also Foote decided to represent Canada nationally

Correct, but he's still technically eligible for Team USA. He'll be eligible for Team Canada at the 2018 WJC.

Foote would only be interesting if in December he's not going to be invited to the selection camp for Canada. If USAH came calling at that point, would he answer the call? It's one thing to possibly turn down USAH out of a desire to represent Canada when eligible, but would he be willing to let the WJC possibly slip by permanently at that point?

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Early roster prediction.

G
Joseph Woll
Jake Oettinger
Cayden Primeau/Dylan St. Cyr

D

Ryan Lindgren-Adam Fox
Chad Krys-Andrew Peeke
JD Greenway-Luke Martin
Callan Foote/Matt Hellickson

I think Foote is top six material next year but probably he represent Canada.

F

Kailer Yamamoto-Logan Brown-Joey Anderson
Kieffer Bellows-Patrick Harper-Will Lockwood
Casey Mittelstadt-Trent Frederic-Riley Tufte/Tim Gettinger
Max Jones-Alexander Chmelevski-Ivan Lodnia
Ryan Poehling

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Early roster prediction.

G
Joseph Woll
Jake Oettinger
Cayden Primeau/Dylan St. Cyr

D

Ryan Lindgren-Adam Fox
Chad Krys-Andrew Peeke
JD Greenway-Luke Martin
Callan Foote/Matt Hellickson

I think Foote is top six material next year but probably he represent Canada.

F

Kailer Yamamoto-Logan Brown-Joey Anderson
Kieffer Bellows-Patrick Harper-Will Lockwood
Casey Mittelstadt-Trent Frederic-Riley Tufte
Max Jones-Alexander Chmelevski-Ivan Lodnia
Ryan Poehling

Think Keller is in the NHL?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Never got to make a post about the game but everyone else pretty much said what I would say on how amazing it was. I worked late on Wednesday and Thursday so I wasn't able to watch the Gold Medal game until last night so I'd have no distractions.

As for next years team it will be an interesting mix. The past few years have been a mix of the prior two year NTDP groups. For example this year was a lot of the 98 NTDP group and the 97 NTDP group, obviously with other quality players mixed in, but these truly were our best available guys. Next year could be the first year that we have a fair amount of kids that played for USHL club teams and then on to college and didn't play for the program. I haven't thought crazy hard about it and the names I'm seeing on here sound about right.

Things can happen but guys like Gildon need to step up if he wants to be on the camp roster in December. I think Farrance has turned a corner. Barratt, Reedy, Norris...guys like that are good hockey players but there really isn't an all star type player on this current NTDP U18 squad. I watched them play live against Finland in November for the U18 Five Nations and they looked quick, solid puck movement, and the D really pushed the pace. So let's see them in the IIHF U18's. Don't forget we had a really good showing at the Ivan Hlinka too. That's a USHL/CHL group that goes (as most of you know) and they looked really strong. So guys like Chemelevski and Poehling i'm high on but not to sold on both Pastujov's though. They have to have a really strong finish to this year and have a good summer camp imo.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Bellows-Keller-Anderson
Jones-Brown-Mittelstadt
Harper-Frederic-Yamamoto
Reedy-Poehling-Lockwood
Lodnia ( Maybe Jake Wise?)

Lindgren-Fox
Krys-Martin
Greenway-Peeke
Dineen

Oettinger
Woll
Dhillon

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The only player I would like to see just for comparison sake in a few summer games is Bode Wilde. Saw his name mentioned and just wanted to say I know the U17 team as a whole has maybe underachieved a bit but I've seen a lot of him and he has a fantastic wrist shot getting pucks through. He scored a few goals off of it. He plays well in his own zone and skates the puck up smartly. His size while doing all of this is a factor imo also. I'm not saying they should give him a serious look. But if we see another U18 player in Dec camp next year like we usually do he'd be the only guy I'd pick right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The only player I would like to see just for comparison sake in a few summer games is Bode Wilde. Saw his name mentioned and just wanted to say I know the U17 team as a whole has maybe underachieved a bit but I've seen a lot of him and he has a fantastic wrist shot getting pucks through. He scored a few goals off of it. He plays well in his own zone and skates the puck up smartly. His size while doing all of this is a factor imo also. I'm not saying they should give him a serious look. But if we see another U18 player in Dec camp next year like we usually do he'd be the only guy I'd pick right now.

I think he should be on the team for sure. I think Farabee and Wise should be considered as well. Farabee has been good all season, and Wise has been very good the last few tournaments. People say the team has underachieved and all that, but its not like you have to take the whole team and put them on the WJC roster. I think there are a few potential early first round picks in the U17 team, and usually that qualifies someone to be in the mix for the WJC.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think he should be on the team for sure. I think Farabee and Wise should be considered as well. Farabee has been good all season, and Wise has been very good the last few tournaments. People say the team has underachieved and all that, but its not like you have to take the whole team and put them on the WJC roster. I think there are a few potential early first round picks in the U17 team, and usually that qualifies someone to be in the mix for the WJC.

I agree, and Wise's line in two years should play together at the WJC. But for now I'd say Wilde and Farabee/Wise. Farabee has a deadly accurate shot that is tough to pick up. Those picks aren't bad.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A really early projection on what a potential roster may look like for the National Junior Evaluation Camp in the summer:

Forwards (x24):

Joey Anderson
Evan Barratt
Kieffer Bellows
Logan Brown
Alexander Chmelevski
Trent Frederic
Max Gerlach
Tim Gettinger
Patrick Harper
Max Jones
Clayton Keller
Jack Kopacka
William Lockwood
Ivan Lodnia
Grant Mismash
Casey Mittelstadt
Josh Norris
Ryan Poehling
Scott Reedy
Jason Robertson
Brady Tkachuk
Jacob Tortora
Riley Tufte
Kailer Yamamoto

Defense (x13):

Sean Day
Cam Dineen
David Farrance
Adam Fox
Max Gildon
Ben Gleason
JD Greenway
Quinn Hughes
Chad Krys
Ryan Lindgren
Luke Martin
Tommy Miller
Andrew Peeke

Goalies (x4):

Jake Oettinger
Keith Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Joseph Woll

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bellows-Keller-Anderson
Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Farabee-Poehling-Harper
Jones-Frederic-Laczynski
Wise

Lindgren-Fox
Day-Wilde
Greenway-Peeke
Krys

Oettinger
Woll
Primeau

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Bellows-Keller-Anderson
Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Farabee-Poehling-Harper
Jones-Frederic-Laczynski
Wise

Lindgren-Fox
Day-Wilde
Greenway-Peeke
Krys

Oettinger
Woll
Primeau

Laczynski is a '97, so he's not eligible.

The '00 born players are going to have to start performing up to their skill levels to get into contention for this team, let alone for three of them to actually make it. I think it's very generous to expect any '00 at the summer camp, let alone for any of them to be projected for the team right now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Laczynski is a '97, so he's not eligible.

The '00 born players are going to have to start performing up to their skill levels to get into contention for this team, let alone for three of them to actually make it. I think it's very generous to expect any '00 at the summer camp let alone the team right now.

Didn't know about Laczynski. Could add Lockwood in his place.

I don't know why you are grouping all of the '00 born players together. Some perform better than others. Who cares if the U17 NTDP team isn't performing up to expectations? If certain players on the team are, they shouldn't have the team's performance held against them. From what I have observed, those three are good enough to make the Camp, and the team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Didn't know about Laczynski. Could add Lockwood in his place.

I don't know why you are grouping all of the '00 born players together. Some perform better than others. Who cares if the U17 NTDP team isn't performing up to expectations? If certain players on the team are, they shouldn't have the team's performance held against them. From what I have observed, those three are good enough to make the Camp, and the team.

I'm not grouping them all together. It's not just the team that has underperformed. A lot of the expected top performers have been disappointing so far. I've seen the U17 team and its players plenty of times as well, and while the skill of the players is evident, they haven't delivered results on a consistent basis. The only top player on the U17 team I think one could say is performing up to expectations would be Farabee, but he's not performing up to the level as of now where he's going to be in contention for this team.

For context in their NTDP U17 seasons:

• Keller: 1.34 PPG (played up with U18s to finish season and at IIHF U18)
  • Bracco: 1.31 PPG
  • White: 1.34 PPG
  • Matthews: 1.14 PPG (played up with U18s to finish season and at IIHF U18)
  • Hanifin: 0.78 PPG (played up with U18s to finish season, and at IIHF U18)
  • Werenski: 0.57 PPG
  • Krys: 0.78 PPG (played up with U18s to finish season, and at IIHF U18)
  • Eichel: 0.86 PPG (played up with U18s to finish season and at IIHF U18)

And your choices for the team:
  • Farabee: 0.81 PPG
  • Wise: 0.62 PPG
  • Wilde: 0.38 PPG

Of all those players, only Matthews and Krys were invited to the NJEC heading into their U18 seasons. Matthews, Eichel, Hanifin, Werenski, and Krys all made the WJC as U18 players, and Hanifin and Werenski were both playing NCAA hockey.

Previous NTDP players scoring at a much higher pace during their U17 seasons weren't in contention for this team at this point, so why should we believe any players on the current U17 team are trending that way? It's unrealistic to expect that at this point. I'd like them to prove me wrong as much as anyone as I had really high hopes for the '00 birth year, but they have a ways to go to realize their potential.

If any of the players on the U17 team want to start trending towards this team, they should first try graduating to the U18 team this season, and to play at the IIHF U18s. And then they'll need to start their U18 seasons producing at clips like the others that made the team as underagers, such as Matthews (1.95 PPG) or Eichel (1.64 PPG). Until then, it's total fantasy and false hope that three members of the U17 team will be at the NJEC this summer and on the next WJC team.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not grouping them all together. It's not just the team that has underperformed. A lot of the expected top performers have been disappointing so far. I've seen the U17 team and its players plenty of times as well, and while the skill of the players is evident, they haven't delivered results on a consistent basis. The only top player on the U17 team I think one could say is performing up to expectations would be Farabee, but he's not performing up to the level as of now where he's going to be in contention for this team.

Of all those players, only Matthews and Krys were invited to the NJEC heading into their U18 seasons. Matthews, Eichel, Hanifin, Werenski, and Krys all made the WJC as U18 players, and Hanifin and Werenski were both playing NCAA hockey.

Previous NTDP players scoring at a much higher pace during their U17 seasons weren't in contention for this team at this point, so why should we believe any players on the current U17 team are trending that way? It's unrealistic to expect that at this point. I'd like them to prove me wrong as much as anyone as I had really high hopes for the '00 birth year, but they have a ways to go to realize their potential.

If any of the players on the U17 team want to start trending towards this team, they should first try graduating to the U18 team this season, and to play at the IIHF U18s. And then they'll need to start their U18 seasons producing at clips like the others that made the team as underagers, such as Matthews (1.95 PPG) or Eichel (1.64 PPG). Until then, it's total fantasy and false hope that three members of the U17 team will be at the NJEC this summer and on the next WJC team.

I appreciate those numbers, but I am going off mostly what I have watched. I don't need to compare them to previous players, in terms of goals, assists, points in certain years. They could have worse teammates, they could be playing better competition, they could've had slow starts that messed up statistical comparisons, there are many things that could be behind why the u17 team is behind in individual stats, but I don't think its behind in individual talent. I can compare them to where I think other players in contention for the team are and where they are likely to go in the draft.

Also, I would put forward this stat, which I believe makes a good case for why some of them might make it. In the last five drafts, 9 Americans have been drafted in the top 10, only two of those players have not made the WJC team in their draft season, Keller and Galchenyuk. Keller was the last cut his draft year, so whether he made it or not doesn't particularly matter, he was in contention to make it. Galchenyuk was injured. Going back ten drafts, it seems like Zach Bogosian was the only player who didn't make it that was picked in the top ten, discounting the injured Galchenyuk and Keller who was the last cut. I don't know what the case was with Bogosian. I wasn't following back then. Maybe he was the last cut.

Either way, I think its pretty clear from those stats that players who go in the top 10 make the WJC team in their draft year. Considering the 2018 draft, its early, but I find it hard to believe Wilde isn't trending towards being a top 10 pick, probably more likely a top 5 pick. I've been very impressed with how he plays. Whether or not he has less points than previous defenseman for the u17 NTDP team, he has been very good this season, and has all the making of a very high selection. I think he will move up to the older team, and should be at the WJC-18 this year. Farabee and Wise are less likely to make it, I think they are looking like first round picks, maybe even likely top 15 picks, but I don't think either is as sure of top 10 pick as Wilde, although I think both could be top ten picks. Farabee has had a really good season, probably been the best forward for the u17 NTDP team. More of a surprise than any player on that team, but he's been very good. Wise has really picked it up the last few tournaments, I think he's been the team's best player of late. He's looking more and more like the player he was originally billed as, although I wouldn't say the Eichel or Matthews comparisons are fair, but he has shown that type of play at times. I think they will also move up to the older age group in the next few months, and eventually the WJC-18 team for this year.

The WJC-18 team almost always has players a year younger. Last year it didn't, and that was the first year since the tournament started that the USA didn't have any players a year younger. It might've been because the '99 born players are not good, and lack many first round talents. They still did include a number of 2017 draftees that didn't play within the NTDP program, so they took some outside players, despite not taking players a year younger. They've taken less than two year younger players three times, including last year. A lot of years its more than two. I think those three make it this year, play well, and are considered for the WJC-20 team going into next season. I'm sure you can build a case for why they won't, which is what you've done, but I've outlined the case for all of them, and maybe you don't think any of them deserve it now, but I think all three will be in contention to make the team next season with Wilde a certainty to make it when the final camp roster is named. If Wise continues to play well, he has that ability as well to be a certainty to make it. I'm not sure Farabee has that ability in his game that the other two have shown for years, but I do think he's going under the radar and will find himself in contention for the team, whether or not he's a big name.

Even Strength

Sep 25, 2015
I'm surprised Wahlstrom not getting much consideration here. Of him, Wise and Farabee, he's the only one with the size and strength to play with U20s. Is there something about his game that turns people off?

everything

Jan 5, 2017

Maybe the low scoring totals represent the facts that the talent of USA hockey players have gotten better. They are playing with and against better compitition. Including the fact of not enough ice time for everyone to show what they can do. Keller Bracco and others in past years accumulate bigger numbers playing with and against lesser talent. Perhaps they need a 2nd NTDP team so players can get more ice time and grow at a faster rate. seems like the talent has out grown the one team system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad