Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I wouldn’t want to give up oettenger or point . One of those guys are going to be our future and it’s too hard to tell who’s better right now .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You weren't excited about Desrosiers after he won CHL goalie of the year and backstopped Rimouski to a Memorial Cup appearance?

Alrighty then!
Winning Chl goalie of the year was impressive but he was pulled partway through the playoffs and there other goalie won the championship if I recall correctly . Not saying he wasn’t /isn’t a good prospect just never was as excited as I am about point or oettenger . Especially point , his stats were ridiculous in the NCAA this year.

Reactions: Kcb12345

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Desrosiers despite winning the CHL goalie of the year, was never anything special. Even the year he won, his numbers were “eh”. I’ve watched quite a few Rimouski games over the years, and Desrosiers had bust label written all over him.

He was on a stacked team in Rimouski and lost the starting role to Guindon in his final year cause of his play. Rimouski going out of their way to acquire a top goalie at the deadline spoke about how much they actually trusted him. Desrosier, like his fellow foe Fucale, are a classic example of a goalie prospect who were a product of a great junior team.

Colton and Jake are definitely on another level than Desrosier ever was.

Reactions: Bfantz and Kcb12345

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Anyways I agree with Bfantz. Jake and Colton should not be moved. Both kids seem to be legit, and given our failures of bringing up a goalie from our system, it’s not worth the risk.

Reactions: Bfantz

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I wouldn’t want to give up oettenger or point . One of those guys are going to be our future and it’s too hard to tell who’s better right now .

While I am not sure if CAR would even have any interest, the facts remain that to acquire a talent like Hannifan in a hockey trade, we would have to give up some assets to make it happen, preferably from an area of depth among our prospects, since they are clearly rebuilding. Your post is yet another typical fan reaction of wanting a player badly, but not being willing to give up anything of value.

Replacing him with Lindell (maybe Honka if they think he is good enough) would be the first key, unless they had kids of similar talent waiting in the wings (probably do, if they are willing to trade him)

Shoring up another of their areas of deficit would be the required add, and it would have to come from the ranks of our young or prospect forwards or goalies if we sent back a roster D. So, under these near certain facts about a proposed acquisition of Hannifan, what exactly would you (or others) realistically propose we give up?

You take a chance any time you trade a prospect for a roster player (Think NSH acquiring Forsberg from WSH) but if you are going for it now, I guess that is a risk you take, no? Yes, we would probably have less risk in giving up Lindell and our first, since we have no idea who that is going to be, and that is a possibility, too.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
While I am not sure if CAR would even have any interest, the facts remain that to acquire a talent like Hannifan in a hockey trade, we would have to give up some assets to make it happen, preferably from an area of depth among our prospects, since they are clearly rebuilding. Your post is yet another typical fan reaction of wanting a player badly, but not being willing to give up anything of value.

Replacing him with Lindell (maybe Honka if they think he is good enough) would be the first key, unless they had kids of similar talent waiting in the wings (probably do, if they are willing to trade him)

Shoring up another of their areas of deficit would be the required add, and it would have to come from the ranks of our young or prospect forwards or goalies if we sent back a roster D. So, under these near certain facts about a proposed acquisition of Hannifan, what exactly would you (or others) realistically propose we give up?

You take a chance any time you trade a prospect for a roster player (Think NSH acquiring Forsberg from WSH) but if you are going for it now, I guess that is a risk you take, no? Yes, we would probably have less risk in giving up Lindell and our first, since we have no idea who that is going to be, and that is a possibility, too.
I never said I wouldn’t give up anything of value for hannifan. I’m simply saying we need to have one of the top goalies in the league if we’re ever going to contend . Right now goaltending is one of our biggest issues because who knows how long bishop is going to last .We have to fix that problem by drafting them , not many teams want to trade away elite goaltenders , and when they do there usually past there prime . I would rather do a package of Lindell , Robertson and the 13 th pick rather than giving away point or otter.

Reactions: MBTendy

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree goaltending is an issue, and for once we appear to have the future 1A and 1B goalies, but things happen.

Your proposal is good Value for CAR, I think. Almost feels like we would like another pick in round 2 or 3 to come back. One problem is, we are probably shorter in scoring forward prospects than we are goalies, unless you think Hintz and a few others graduate to NHL level goal scorers. I guess you could make the argument that they are more easily replaced, and it would probably be true. However, we are swapping D for what, a 10-15% improvement at LHD? And giving up two potential chances at developing a scoring winger?

Now I sound like the typical fan, LOL. But, just as its always best to draft goalies, its best to draft fW and D. We seem pretty well set on D and don't need to make the blockbuster move for a true 1D as we used to. We are best asset wise and financially to keep a relatively young and cheap Lindell, and not give up other assets, at least IMHO.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Agree goaltending is an issue, and for once we appear to have the future 1A and 1B goalies, but things happen.

Your proposal is good Value for CAR, I think. Almost feels like we would like another pick in round 2 or 3 to come back. One problem is, we are probably shorter in scoring forward prospects than we are goalies, unless you think Hintz and a few others graduate to NHL level goal scorers. I guess you could make the argument that they are more easily replaced, and it would probably be true. However, we are swapping D for what, a 10-15% improvement at LHD? And giving up two potential chances at developing a scoring winger?

Now I sound like the typical fan, LOL. But, just as its always best to draft goalies, its best to draft fW and D. We seem pretty well set on D and don't need to make the blockbuster move for a true 1D as we used to. We are best asset wise and financially to keep a relatively young and cheap Lindell, and not give up other assets, at least IMHO.
I honestly do think hintz is our best forward prospect and future second line center . That’s why I think it might be better to trade for a top six winger to shelter him a bit . In the end I highly doubt Carolina is going to trade with us . Only way they do it is if there getting a big name back . Lindell is a pretty good defenseman and we were doing fine up until bishop got hurt and lehtonen had to play every game . If we swap nuke , hintz and heiskanen for spezza , rousell and hamhuis , we should be in a good position too keep all of our prospects and add a forward and/or a goalie through free agency .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hintz and Nuke are more Spezza replacements or add ons. Smith or Elie, maybe even Dickinson to replace Roussell. I will miss Rouse, and don't think those guys are as much a pest as he his, but are fast and could score some goals while saving us $1M or so, and I think AR is gone with the wind.....or money.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Something that caught my attention in this is Nill appearing to be very open to moving up or down in the draft. Almost feels like he already has something in mind that they may be working on or planning. Just the way he said it got me thinking but it's probably nothing. Theres always a possibility a deal pops up which is likely why he said it. Video is definitely worth a watch though

Stars27

Aug 23, 2013
I am a longtime lurker on this board and have seldom made posts and bantered with fellow Stars fans on various Stars' topics. I have, however been thinking a lot about this off-season and potential changes that need to be made to avoid the late season debacle of last year. Despite what some think, I don't believe that drastic changes need to be made to get this team in the playoffs. Please see below for changes/additions/subtractions that I would pursue this off-season.

Trades/Signings/Movement

1. Sign Nichushkin (3 year - 9 million) - Already been discussed so make it happen!
2. Sign JVR (6 year - 6 million) or trade for Pacioretty (DAL 1st 2018, Riley Tufte and DAL 3rd 2019 for Pacioretty and Lindgren)
3. Trade for Tierney (DAL 2nd 2019 and DAL 3rd 2018)
4. Sign backup goalie - Nothing more than 3 million (Hutton, Grubauer, Ward for signings and Lindgren through trade)
4. Bring over Heiskanen in a top-4 role
5. Sign RFAs Janmark, Shore, Johns

Jamie Benn (9,500,000) - Tyler Seguin (5,750,000) - Tyler Pitlick (1,000,000)
Max Pacioretty/James van Riemsdyke (4,500,000 - 6,000,000) - Radek Faksa (2,200,000) - Alex Radulov (6,250,000)
Mattias Janmark (2,000,000) - Chris Tierney (2,500,000) - Valeri Nichushkin (2,750,000)
Devin Shore (1,750,000) - Jason Spezza (7,500,000) - Brett Richie (1,750,000)

Reasoning Line#1 - We all know what Benn and Seguin can do. I really liked what I saw from Pitlick last year and I think adding a bit of grit, physicality and speed to the first line will do wonders and will allow both Benn and Seguin to do what they do best.
Reasoning Line #2 - I believe that Faksa really took a step forward last year and should be given the chance to at least see what he can do as 2nd line centre. Playing with Radulov and whatever addition is made to LW#2 will really provide a well-balanced 2nd line that can do a little bit of everything.
Reasoning Line #3 - This 3rd line will be based on the ability of Dallas to be able to pry Chris Tierney out of San Jose. Having a defensibly-responsible centre in between Janmark and Nichushkin will provide a little bit of offence and defence for the 3rd line. Janmark had a surprisingly good comeback year last year and will look good being shifted down to a more suited 3rd LW role. The question mark/wildcard is of course Nichushkin so let's see what he can do with 3rd line minutes before anointing him as a top-6 RW.
Reasoning Line #4 - Ideally, based off last year's results, I'd want to ship Spezza to the moon. However, I think with a new coach and playing in the final year of his contract, it doesn't make sense to move him at this time or buy him out. Limiting the minutes of both Shore and Ritchie is good for any team so let's see how this 4th line plays out before giving Hintz, Dickenson, Elie, and Smith an opportunity in the lineup (Injuries will of course happen so they will be called up eventually.

Esa Lindell (2,200,000) - John Klingberg (4,250,000)
Miro Heiskanen (1,500,000) - Stephen Johns (3,000,000)
Mark Methot (4,900,000) - Julius Honka (1,363,330)

Reasoning D#1 - No need to break anything up from last year. This D pairing played super well and compliment each other nicely.
Reasoning D#2 - I may get some criticism for putting Heiskanen right into the top-4 but I think with what he accomplished last year and Monty's propensity to deploy offensive-minded, smooth-skating defensemen, I like putting Miro right into the fire ala other young defensemen recently (McAvoy, Provorov, Werenski). Putting him with Johns who is more defensively-responsible and brings more of a physical presence will only benefit the line.
Reasoning D#3 - I think this is finally the year to let's see what Honka can do, especially with a new coach. Pairing him with a fully stay-at-home defenseman could work wonders for this pairing and really highlight the strengths of both defensemen.

Ben Bishop (4,916,670)
Carter Hutton/Philip Grubauer/Charlie Lindgren/Cam Ward (3,000,000)

Reasoning - Bishop will obviously be given every opportunity to continue serving as the N#1 netminder. I expect that he'll play roughly ~50 games so getting a capable backup is key here. I am quite open to the options out there and I don't really have a preference for one over the other. If we can avoid giving up assets and sign a backup, that would be ideal.

Martin Hanzel - LTIR

Salary Cap - (Forwards - 48,200,000/Defense - 17,213,330/Goalies - 7,916,670) = $73,330,000

Please let me know what you think!

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I am a longtime lurker on this board and have seldom made posts and bantered with fellow Stars fans on various Stars' topics. I have, however been thinking a lot about this off-season and potential changes that need to be made to avoid the late season debacle of last year. Despite what some think, I don't believe that drastic changes need to be made to get this team in the playoffs. Please see below for changes/additions/subtractions that I would pursue this off-season.

Trades/Signings/Movement

1. Sign Nichushkin (3 year - 9 million) - Already been discussed so make it happen!
2. Sign JVR (6 year - 6 million) or trade for Pacioretty (DAL 1st 2018, Riley Tufte and DAL 3rd 2019 for Pacioretty and Lindgren)
3. Trade for Tierney (DAL 2nd 2019 and DAL 3rd 2018)
4. Sign backup goalie - Nothing more than 3 million (Hutton, Grubauer, Ward for signings and Lindgren through trade)
4. Bring over Heiskanen in a top-4 role
5. Sign RFAs Janmark, Shore, Johns

Jamie Benn (9,500,000) - Tyler Seguin (5,750,000) - Tyler Pitlick (1,000,000)
Max Pacioretty/James van Riemsdyke (4,500,000 - 6,000,000) - Radek Faksa (2,200,000) - Alex Radulov (6,250,000)
Mattias Janmark (2,000,000) - Chris Tierney (2,500,000) - Valeri Nichushkin (2,750,000)
Devin Shore (1,750,000) - Jason Spezza (7,500,000) - Brett Richie (1,750,000)

Reasoning Line#1 - We all know what Benn and Seguin can do. I really liked what I saw from Pitlick last year and I think adding a bit of grit, physicality and speed to the first line will do wonders and will allow both Benn and Seguin to do what they do best.
Reasoning Line #2 - I believe that Faksa really took a step forward last year and should be given the chance to at least see what he can do as 2nd line centre. Playing with Radulov and whatever addition is made to LW#2 will really provide a well-balanced 2nd line that can do a little bit of everything.
Reasoning Line #3 - This 3rd line will be based on the ability of Dallas to be able to pry Chris Tierney out of San Jose. Having a defensibly-responsible centre in between Janmark and Nichushkin will provide a little bit of offence and defence for the 3rd line. Janmark had a surprisingly good comeback year last year and will look good being shifted down to a more suited 3rd LW role. The question mark/wildcard is of course Nichushkin so let's see what he can do with 3rd line minutes before anointing him as a top-6 RW.
Reasoning Line #4 - Ideally, based off last year's results, I'd want to ship Spezza to the moon. However, I think with a new coach and playing in the final year of his contract, it doesn't make sense to move him at this time or buy him out. Limiting the minutes of both Shore and Ritchie is good for any team so let's see how this 4th line plays out before giving Hintz, Dickenson, Elie, and Smith an opportunity in the lineup (Injuries will of course happen so they will be called up eventually.

Esa Lindell (2,200,000) - John Klingberg (4,250,000)
Miro Heiskanen (1,500,000) - Stephen Johns (3,000,000)
Mark Methot (4,900,000) - Julius Honka (1,363,330)

Reasoning D#1 - No need to break anything up from last year. This D pairing played super well and compliment each other nicely.
Reasoning D#2 - I may get some criticism for putting Heiskanen right into the top-4 but I think with what he accomplished last year and Monty's propensity to deploy offensive-minded, smooth-skating defensemen, I like putting Miro right into the fire ala other young defensemen recently (McAvoy, Provorov, Werenski). Putting him with Johns who is more defensively-responsible and brings more of a physical presence will only benefit the line.
Reasoning D#3 - I think this is finally the year to let's see what Honka can do, especially with a new coach. Pairing him with a fully stay-at-home defenseman could work wonders for this pairing and really highlight the strengths of both defensemen.

Ben Bishop (4,916,670)
Carter Hutton/Philip Grubauer/Charlie Lindgren/Cam Ward (3,000,000)

Reasoning - Bishop will obviously be given every opportunity to continue serving as the N#1 netminder. I expect that he'll play roughly ~50 games so getting a capable backup is key here. I am quite open to the options out there and I don't really have a preference for one over the other. If we can avoid giving up assets and sign a backup, that would be ideal.

Martin Hanzel - LTIR

Salary Cap - (Forwards - 48,200,000/Defense - 17,213,330/Goalies - 7,916,670) = $73,330,000

Please let me know what you think!

Nichushkin should ideally get less than that, but if thats what it takes then oh well. I like and agree with your backup idea.

I'd have Pitlick and Nichushkin swap spots and have Spezza move up to the 2C spot at first to see if it works out under Monty. The winger choices are fine but if we could get Skinner for a package similar to that I'd definitely do it. Also would rather see Honka with Heiskanen over Johns, but I get it. Nice descriptive post, thanks for sharing.

Oh also, I wouldn't mind the Tierney deal. Would rather have Faksa there though and maybe Tierney on the 4th line, but he isn't a necessity to the lineup, would just be a nice piece.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So Val aparently signed a 2 year Deal with the Stars . Going to be announced July 1st officially.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Sounds like Val has signed in Dallas. It's a two year deal that will be announced July 1st. Didn't see any figures but saw Mark Stepneski tweet it this morning. He got the info from a tweet from a Russian source.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Ok so Nichuskin is back. Seguin, Spezza, Faksa - C’s. Radulov, Nichuskin, Pitlick - RW’s. Benn, Janmark and...? - LW’s. I know we have some young guys we feel who are ready to come up but on those top three lines lets say, I think we still need something. If Roussel isn’t back I’m fine with Janmark as a LW especially if him and Spezza find thier chemistry again. But another LW we do seem to need now.

What seems to be a productive move this offseason? Sign a LW who we feel can fit in on the 2nd or 3rd line or make a trade to bring someone in?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
How would you guys feel about brent seabrook in dallas ? Would be a good partner for heiskanen , I don’t know if it would be worth taking on that contract though .

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
How would you guys feel about brent seabrook in dallas ? Would be a good partner for heiskanen , I don’t know if it would be worth taking on that contract though .
Oh my goodness, no no no no no no no no. No no no no no. Why would you do this?

Reactions: WhatWhat

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Absolutely not. Bloated contract, way too slow, doesn't really have much hockey left in him. Certainly isn't the direction we want to be going. I also don't want to give Chicago any relief for the mess they've put themselves in - anything that keeps them at the bottom of the division is fine by me.

I've been away for a while, obviously, but is Hanzal basically a write-off now due to injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad