Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Winnipeg was the better team. Nashville didn't lose because Rinne got pulled. In fact, they looked better after he got pulled. They just couldn't hold back Winnipeg as the game went along.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm a little torn, I like Winnipeg, and I think it would be great to see them win, but with the exception of Tampa Bay, all the other story lines are pretty great too.

I was happy to see Washington get one in Tampa.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm torn about this off season.

Nill knows he needs changes, but can/will he make effective ones? Third in the Central is the best the Stars can do realistically, and even that will be tough. Likely battling for a wild card.

If the Stars are on the outside looking in again next season, how can Nill keep his job? Oh yeah, he has a contract until 2023. :help: If he does get canned hopefully that doesn't become his golden parachute for retirement and he gets picked up by someone else. I'm sure Gaglardi won't wanna pay him to crochet at home.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Carolina looking to move pretty much everyone, except Sebastian Aho, according to Bob McKenzie.

As a Stars fan, who do you have interest in? I'd be looking at Skinner and Slavin for sure, if they truly are available.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina looking to move pretty much everyone, except Sebastian Aho, according to Bob McKenzie.

As a Stars fan, who do you have interest in? I'd be looking at Skinner and Slavin for sure, if they truly are available.

Just to be clear, this is based on Tom Dundon's end of season press conference. Here's what he said.

Dundon was blunt in explaining his player evaluation philosophy: "There's none of them I'm not trying to replace. I want a better player than every one of them. That's our job. We need it to be hard to be on this team," Dundon said. "We may have 19 new players next year or we may have zero. It's unlikely it will be either of those things, but I think every spot is open."

There is one roster lock for next season: Sebastian Aho. In his sophomore year, Aho paced the team in points (65) and goals (29).

"We're not finding better players than Sebastian Aho. We're just not," Dundon said. "We're not finding harder workers or more committed hockey players. But if I could find 12 of them, I'd do it. But we can't."

In reality, he's not looking to trade everyone except Aho, he's saying it's Management's job to try to get better players and it's the player's job to play better and that nobody is off limits for the right price. But he wants BETTER players if he moves a guy so it won't be for pennies on the dollar. IMO, Slavin would be a close 2nd behind Aho on the list of guys not moving.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I've seen people start to hint that the Stars need to trade Seguin if they can't get him to sign an extension this summer. That talk makes my blood boil. I get it some people are terrified of ever losing players as free agents, but what I hate even more is the idea of totally giving up on next season by trading Seguin all for the benefit of getting a handful of draft picks of middling value. When it comes to value, having one season of Seguin is worth more to this franchise than anything they will get in a trade offer for him.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Hey everyone. Missed y’all. I’ll delete my account and retire from playing if they don’t resign Seguin. The sport will be dead to me. Thanks.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I've seen people start to hint that the Stars need to trade Seguin if they can't get him to sign an extension this summer. That talk makes my blood boil. I get it some people are terrified of ever losing players as free agents, but what I hate even more is the idea of totally giving up on next season by trading Seguin all for the benefit of getting a handful of draft picks of middling value. When it comes to value, having one season of Seguin is worth more to this franchise than anything they will get in a trade offer for him.

Yeah, that's awful. They probably see Tavares/Karlsson and are getting paranoid.

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think if we haven't signed him by February we gotta trade him at or before the deadline. I hope it doesn't come down to that, but if it does we can't lose him for nothing.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think if we haven't signed him by February we gotta trade him at or before the deadline. I hope it doesn't come down to that, but if it does we can't lose him for nothing.
That's a defeatist attitude, especially for a team that struggles to ever make the playoffs. If they are in the playoff hunt, they can't trade him. They have to try to make a run with him. I don't care if Seguin told Nill he will never sign with Dallas. Seguin is worth more to a playoff run than the bag of magic beans he would return in a trade.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
That's a defeatist attitude, especially for a team that struggles to ever make the playoffs. If they are in the playoff hunt, they can't trade him. They have to try to make a run with him. I don't care if Seguin told Nill he will never sign with Dallas. Seguin is worth more to a playoff run than the bag of magic beans he would return in a trade.

I don’t get this logic. If the Stars are in a similar position at the trade deadline as they were this year (or worse), and like this year, we dont make any significant trades for a playoff push (i.e. Nill’s white towel moment), and you know Seguin isn’t signing then you trade him for whatever you can get. Anything less and batshit stupid.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Bad season from a lot of our guys under Hitchcock but one sure positive was Seguin learning to play a more all around game. With plenty of cap space at the end of next season why wouldn’t the Stars make sure he’s here for a while. With Monty coming in and opening things up a bit more offensively and it not all be put on the same four guys I think Seguin wouldn’t mind being a Star for a while either.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don’t get this logic. If the Stars are in a similar position at the trade deadline as they were this year (or worse), and like this year, we dont make any significant trades for a playoff push (i.e. Nill’s white towel moment), and you know Seguin isn’t signing then you trade him for whatever you can get. Anything less and bat**** stupid.
The logic is the value of a playoff run with Seguin will be greater than the value of the magic beans received in a trade.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
The logic is the value of a playoff run with Seguin will be greater than the value of the magic beans received in a trade.

And what if Dallas goes out in the 1st round which by the way is very possible, assuming Dallas makes it in the playoffs at all. I want Seguin here. I hope Dallas makes him a good offer and he accepts. If that doesn't happen keeping him for a just as likely early exit or no playoffs at all is beyond dumb.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And what if Dallas goes out in the 1st round which by the way is very possible, assuming Dallas makes it in the playoffs at all. I want Seguin here. I hope Dallas makes him a good offer and he accepts. If that doesn't happen keeping him for a just as likely early exit or no playoffs at all is beyond dumb.
And what if all of the magic beans acquired in the trade turn out to be busts? That would mean throwing in the towel on a season for nothing.

You aren’t getting a top five draft pick for Seguin because those teams aren’t trading for a pending UFA. Instead, you’re getting a pick in the mid 20s at best. Even if that pick becomes something special, he isn’t going to be contributing until the 2022 playoffs at the very earliest. By then Radulov and Benn will be shadows of their former selves.

I’d rather have a Seguin today over the hopes of having something far inferior several years from now.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And what if all of the magic beans acquired in the trade turn out to be busts? That would mean throwing in the towel on a season for nothing.

You aren’t getting a top five draft pick for Seguin because those teams aren’t trading for a pending UFA. Instead, you’re getting a pick in the mid 20s at best. Even if that pick becomes something special, he isn’t going to be contributing until the 2022 playoffs at the very earliest. By then Radulov and Benn will be shadows of their former selves.

I’d rather have a Seguin today over the hopes of having something far inferior several years from now.
With McDonnel and Nill running the show, the odds of a non-lotto pick panning out are what? We're sitting at 0 for 5, so far.
We would need to hope they don't waste said pick on some "high ceiling... top 5 Skill-set no doubt" bust

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
With McDonnel and Nill running the show, the odds of a non-lotto pick panning out are what? We're sitting at 0 for 5, so far.
We would need to hope they don't waste said pick on some "high ceiling... top 5 Skill-set no doubt" bust
My guess is a Seguin trade guarantees no playoff success next season, which means Nill wouldn't be the one making the picks next summer or beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad