Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think he’s still a really good defenseman and there’s not a ton of right handed defenseman better at defending than him but the contract is just too long . We can more than afford it next year if we lose spezza and hanzal but would be in a whole down the road .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Absolutely not. Bloated contract, way too slow, doesn't really have much hockey left in him. Certainly isn't the direction we want to be going. I also don't want to give Chicago any relief for the mess they've put themselves in - anything that keeps them at the bottom of the division is fine by me.

I've been away for a while, obviously, but is Hanzal basically a write-off now due to injuries?

I have a hard time believing Hanzal will be able to play again pain free, but I can't remembe if it was Heika or Shapiro that was saying Hanzal is finally pain free and feels great. So who knows

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I have a hard time believing Hanzal will be able to play again pain free, but I can't remembe if it was Heika or Shapiro that was saying Hanzal is finally pain free and feels great. So who knows
Yeah, right after surgery and rehab while no longer participating in a contact sport may well feel pain free today. There's no way it lasts. The only question with him is how many weeks he spends on IR.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Definitely no to Seabrook.

I'm happy to hear about the Nichushkin signing and really look forward to him coming back. We needed more speed.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Who do we think would be a good defenseman to go after ? Or is honka or johns are top 4 Defenseman ? risky move bringing in heiskanen to play with such a young d core .

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Who do we think would be a good defenseman to go after ? Or is honka or johns are top 4 Defenseman ? risky move bringing in heiskanen to play with such a young d core .

Just re-sign Hamhuis or Pateryn if all that's needed is a short-term insurance defenseman - no need to spend assets acquiring one unless a good 2nd-pairing RD is available for cheap.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think we roll with Methot and kids. Maybe keep Patyrn. Could go after equivalent of we don't like him. But bottom pair or press box. We hired a guy to coach the kids. Do that. We hired a coach to play fast, after a one year debacle experiment of playing slower hitch hockey. Fitness and youth or speed won't make any more mistakes than old and slow.....

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
With Hanzal we need to be prepared for the very real possibility of him no longer being able to play. I hope I’m wrong and he comes back strong. My ideal lines;

Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
UFA - Spezza - Radulov
Hintz - Faksa - Janmark
Shore - Dickinson- Pitlick
Smith - Elie

I put UFA because I don’t want to break the bank on a player unless they are 100% worth the term. We might even be better off with someone like Nash/Grabner in the bottom six and Janmark/Hintz with Spezza.

Nuke on the top like because those two produce no matter who they are with. Nuke can keep up with the puck, possess it, and is a good playmaker. Second line needs Radulov.

I really hope Hanzal comes back healthy. When he’s one he is an elite 3C which would be hugely valueable on the fourth line.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
With Hanzal we need to be prepared for the very real possibility of him no longer being able to play. I hope I’m wrong and he comes back strong. My ideal lines;

UFA - Spezza - Radulov
Hintz - Faksa - Janmark
Smith - Elie

I put UFA because I don’t want to break the bank on a player unless they are 100% worth the term. We might even be better off with someone like Nash/Grabner in the bottom six and Janmark/Hintz with Spezza.

Nuke on the top like because those two produce no matter who they are with. Nuke can keep up with the puck, possess it, and is a good playmaker. Second line needs Radulov.

I really hope Hanzal comes back healthy. When he’s one he is an elite 3C which would be hugely valueable on the fourth line.

I wouldn't mind that lineup depending on who that UFA is. I hope Hanzal can come back too though, but it's just impossible to tell at this point. If he could amazingly come back healthy then he could be a very valuable player to the team.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

UFA - Spezza - Radulov
Hintz - Faksa - Janmark
Smith - Elie

For me, in an ideal world, we sign Kovalchuk to a 2 or so year deal to fill that UFA spot. Probably won't happen though if he really does wanna go around the NY area.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For me, in an ideal world, we sign Kovalchuk to a 2 or so year deal to fill that UFA spot. Probably won't happen though if he really does wanna go around the NY area.

Kovy is the dream signing for me. Him and Spezza together would be dirty

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Kovy is the dream signing for me. Him and Spezza together would be dirty

Agreed. Then throw Radulov on that wing too? Wow. If Spezza actually plays good next year, and if we sign Kovy, that's 2 first lines. Easily. 2 4th lines turned into 2 1st lines would be a pretty good transition between seasons if you ask me, without spending a single asset.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Agreed. Then throw Radulov on that wing too? Wow. If Spezza actually plays good next year, and if we sign Kovy, that's 2 first lines. Easily. 2 4th lines turned into 2 1st lines would be a pretty good transition between seasons if you ask me, without spending a single asset.

That what I was thinking. Give that line more sheltered more sheltered minutes with heavy offensive zone starts (Seguin and Faksa line are more than capable in the defencive zone). Wouldn’t be shocked to see the whole line surpass 55 points.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If we sign Kovy I’d almost wanna try him with seguin and radulov and have hintz or spezza center benn and nuke . Having the one two punch of benn or seguin on the ice most of the game would be huge . When hitch spread out the top line last year the whole team looked a lot better and if we sign a good winger like kovy or jvr it will be even easier to spread out the talent .

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Haven't heard any scuttlebutt about Stars being interested in Kovi. Doesn't seem to fit with youth movement.

Plus, he and Spezza together would be sloooooooowwwww

Lebrun mentioned it in an Athletic piece.

Not sure I really want Kovy. I'd like a JVR/Hoffman(well..)/Stone/Galchenyuk etc kind of player depending price/trade cost.

Then fill out the team with someone like Petan from the Jets if Chevy would trade within the division. No risk other than probably a draft pick, and high reward. And more skill which the Stars desperately need, for cheap.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
When asked about kovalchuk nill said he’s kicking tires on everything . So sounds like he’s had discussions .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It would be cool if we get Kovy but i don't think we're very high on his list. I could be wrong but there's too many reports that Dallas is probably a longshot in the race for him.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not excited about adding another elderly player in NHL terms, but there's no denying he's a million times better than any of the other spares the Stars have in their system.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He’s better than janmark who was our Next best forward behind radulov . Would say he’s a lock for 25 goals , 40-50 points at least , but wouldnt be surprised if he still puts up 30-35 goals on a top loaded team like the stars . Seguin benn rads with klinger and kovy on the point would be a lethal pp.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, GM Jim does love his UFA and if he knows Hanzel will be LTIRR it might be possible. He does surprise. I don't recall hearing much about Stars and Rads (other than trade rumors on sites like this one) until the tweet came that Rads had signed here. Also seems like Benn followed Rads for a few days before the signing, which might means there are at least talks.

After last years UFA signings, I am not sure Galardi will have such an open checkbook for more old guys, but who knows. Would Kovy mean we have to have a sub million back up goalie instead of a vet? Are they getting at all comfy with McKenna being a 1-2 year back up until the kids are ready after his stint in DFW and his playoff run? If not, I think they want to spend a bit more on goalie than high priced possible 20 goal scorers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille