Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Guys, I've been looking into the numbers and my research indicates that 100% of Canadian NHL teams have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Apparently what the Stars should do is trade Seguin, Benn and Radulov for two second lines made up of hard workers with good attitudes.:sarcasm:

On the bright side though, neither the Preds nor Jets looked nearly as good in the playoffs as the regular season, so if the Stars could actually manage to qualify, I feel slightly better about their chances to win a series or two.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Vegas’s success should give us a lot of hope. Their team is huge on speed and possession, like we will try to be next year. Add in the fact that we should have more talent (on paper) than Vegas, we could see ourselves in a similar position next year.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Apparently what the Stars should do is trade Seguin, Benn and Radulov for two second lines made up of hard workers with good attitudes.:sarcasm:

On the bright side though, neither the Preds nor Jets looked nearly as good in the playoffs as the regular season, so if the Stars could actually manage to qualify, I feel slightly better about their chances to win a series or two.
I also think this shows how the bottom half of a roster can matter. The Stars spent this season playing two lines with zero likeliehood of scoring. By the nature of the expansion draft, Vegas had the best third and fourth lines in the league. Unfortunatley, there’s nothing Nill can do to mimick their depth. He can’t make a guy like Remi Ellie have talent or Ritchie have quicker hands and feet.

Even if this works to Vegas winning a Cup, it’s not repeatable. It’s not a model for GMs to copy. It’s not even going to be sustainable for Vegas because a few guys are going to demand huge raises, which will put them in the same top heavy position as the rest of the league.

More than anything, this probably is a lesson about how GMs shouldn’t handle future expansion drafts when it comes to making stupid trades to protect players who really aren’t any better than the ones lost in the draft.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Dream defense scenario:

Heiskanen - Klingberg
Lindell - Honka
Hanifin - Johns
Methot

I wonder what would it take for us to get Hanifin? If I'm Jim Nill, I push the #hcanes hard on Jeff Skinner and Noah Hanifin

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Dream defense scenario:

Heiskanen - Klingberg
Lindell - Honka
Hanifin - Johns
Methot

I wonder what would it take for us to get Hanifin? If I'm Jim Nill, I push the #hcanes hard on Jeff Skinner and Noah Hanifin
I wouldn't have minded acquiring Hanifin before we got Heiskanen, and as your d pairs shows he would be on the bottom pair. Acquiring him would take a lot of assets, and that for him to be on the bottom pair. I think Skinner could be a good choice. Also, if the Stars do acquire a D im betting its a RHD just in case Johns and Honka don't pan out as a top 4.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Imagine seeing a good player on the "bottom pair" and being unhappy.
I don't mind having a good player on the bottom pair, but trading for someone like Hanifin is going to cost a ton of assets, and you need to use those assets for other areas especially when you have Heiskanen and Lindell on the left side.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't mind having a good player on the bottom pair, but trading for someone like Hanifin is going to cost a ton of assets, and you need to use those assets for other areas especially when you have Heiskanen and Lindell on the left side.

Hanifin is better than Lindell, it was just how I wrote the pairings out lol

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Hanifin is better than Lindell, it was just how I wrote the pairings out lol
Oh I agree, Hanifin is better than Lindell especially with the new system under Montgomery. I'm just looking at team needs and the team needs more scoring depth. I would love Hanifin but it would cost a ton.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Oh I agree, Hanifin is better than Lindell especially with the new system under Montgomery. I'm just looking at team needs and the team needs more scoring depth. I would love Hanifin but it would cost a ton.

I think it would be worth it. Especially if Nill thinks he can land Kovalchuk.

It's tough to draft and develop highly skilled defensemen and if Hanifin is on the trade block, we should throw stuff at Carolina to see what sticks.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I think it would be worth it. Especially if Nill thinks he can land Kovalchuk.

It's tough to draft and develop highly skilled defensemen and if Hanifin is on the trade block, we should throw stuff at Carolina to see what sticks.

I agree with this. After all Defence wins championships and Hanafin is a beauty.

We have 3 elite forwards, one Janmark and have the cap to land a scoring top 6 forward. Then hopefully one or more of Nuke, Hintz, Shore, Dickinson can achieve with our new coach's style and we'd be in a decent spot offensively

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If he is actually being shopped than we’d have to go for him . Would probably mean giving up guryanov or Robertson plus picks though , and if we’re spending that much it might better to go after a second line scoring winger or center depending on who’s available .

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If he is actually being shopped than we’d have to go for him . Would probably mean giving up guryanov or Robertson plus picks though , and if we’re spending that much it might better to go after a second line scoring winger or center depending on who’s available .
Hanifin would cost a lot more than Robertson or Gury. He would cost us 13+Robertson+Point/Oetter most likely

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Given the Canes goalie situation, Lindell, Point/Otter/ a second and a prospect. Replace the D, get a good goaltending prospect and 2 more assets for their rebuild.

Just not sure improving a bit on D is worth that many assets from the Stars.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Given the Canes goalie situation, Lindell, Point/Otter/ a second and a prospect. Replace the D, get a good goaltending prospect and 2 more assets for their rebuild.

Yeah definitely not ready to give that much up for Hanifin. Would rather go after a very good young top 6 winger for that price.

Reactions: Bfantz

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

I don't think the hcanes need another goalie prospect.

They have some decent prospects in Alex Nedeljkovic, Callum Booth and Jeremy Helvig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->