2018 ohl draft April 7th

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
what makes you think hed want to go to erie, wouldnt flint or saginaw make more sense?
i just think erie has had luck with US kids in past, US based team, erie will be picking ahead of saginaw and i just think it would be tough to pass on drysdale for flint leaving stranges for erie. GM Brown is pretty good at getting guys to report as well so its just a hunch !

Reactions: Pinwheels

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If you were to put together a list of the top 2 points/goal scores for each GTHL team who would be on your list?
Non GTHL teams have the stats published

I'd guess:
Marlies: Halliday and Drysdale
Miss Reps: Papias and O'Brien
TJC: Robinson and Carogioiello
Vaughan: Perfetti and Tullio
Don Mills: Perciballi and Portokalis
Miss Rebels: Kerins and Bronstine
Tor Titans: Foudy and Martino
Miss Sens: Cohen and Profaca (didn't see them as much)
Tor Red Wings: Jackson and Timchenko

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
GTHL teams individual point totals get sent to scouts and to the OHL office after the OHL Cup and before the draft. Players statistics will be in the OHL Priority Selection Preview Guide

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I see a lot of people suggesting Flint taking Drysdale at 2. Flint's roster projects they go for it in 2019-2020. Next year Flint will almost certainly have 20yo Hakon Nilsen, 19yo Fedor Gordeev, 18yo Dennis Busby, 18yo Riley McCourt, 17yo Marcus Gretz, 17yo Zach Pilon and unlikely but possibly 19yo Nikita Alexandrov. They SHOULD be using both their import picks but they almost certainly have to use one. There could also be a solid 17 or 18yo in the pipeline. I haven't checked on their D prospects in awhile. I can't see Nilsen NOT returning as an OA no matter how deserving he is of that spot. He's been decent this year but I don't see him being OA good. The rest of that Dcore is pretty good and projects really well if you're looking to go for it in 2020 without any additions. Right now I'd project Gordeev returning as an OA in 2020. Where does Drysdale fit in that equation? Is he a MUST take at #2 if he's there or is there a forward close enough that passing him up to fit team needs isn't a big mistake? I get there may be reporting issues, college commits that could muddy the waters and theoretically they could trade Drysdale but I keep thinking D usually take a bit longer to develop and the way things are lining up for Flint going after a forward might suit their needs and timeline better but if Drysdale is clearly the guy...then Drysdale is the guy.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Has anyone been hearing any ehisprrd about Chayka and if he will get eligibility or not?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I see a lot of people suggesting Flint taking Drysdale at 2. Flint's roster projects they go for it in 2019-2020. Next year Flint will almost certainly have 20yo Hakon Nilsen, 19yo Fedor Gordeev, 18yo Dennis Busby, 18yo Riley McCourt, 17yo Marcus Gretz, 17yo Zach Pilon and unlikely but possibly 19yo Nikita Alexandrov. They SHOULD be using both their import picks but they almost certainly have to use one. There could also be a solid 17 or 18yo in the pipeline. I haven't checked on their D prospects in awhile. I can't see Nilsen NOT returning as an OA no matter how deserving he is of that spot. He's been decent this year but I don't see him being OA good. The rest of that Dcore is pretty good and projects really well if you're looking to go for it in 2020 without any additions. Right now I'd project Gordeev returning as an OA in 2020. Where does Drysdale fit in that equation? Is he a MUST take at #2 if he's there or is there a forward close enough that passing him up to fit team needs isn't a big mistake? I get there may be reporting issues, college commits that could muddy the waters and theoretically they could trade Drysdale but I keep thinking D usually take a bit longer to develop and the way things are lining up for Flint going after a forward might suit their needs and timeline better but if Drysdale is clearly the guy...then Drysdale is the guy.
Personally I like Moore over drysdale.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
I'm sure the Gens could wait and get him in the 2nd, maybe even the 3rd. Can't see them using a 1st on him

Long time reader and follow draft close

Tullio is a 1st

if the gens want him they need to take him in the 1st or gamble that he’s there very early in the 2nd. Not sure what 2nds the have.

No chance he lasts to the 3rd imo

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I'm with you on everything you said except the notion that a D worthy of being picked in the top 1, 2 or 3 overall wouldn't bump Pilon (and perhaps a couple of others) off the depth chart.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
OHL Gold Cup is under the Hockey Canada umbrella and the event is used to evaluate Ontario players for invite to the summer Hockey Canada U17 camp in Calgary.

I believe only Canadians or players eligible to play for Canada, are invited to play on the various teams in the OHL Gold Cup. Therefore, even if Chayka becomes OHL draft eligible, he will not play at Gold Cup.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I will take a guess at the scoring leaders for each team, like Pin Wheels said it will be interesting to compare my perception to what the final results actually are when they are released

Marlies: Halliday and Peters
Miss Reps: Young and O'Brien
TJC: Robinson and Chayka
Vaughan: Perfetti and Tullio
Don Mills: Perciballi and Portokalis
Miss Rebels: Kerins and Bronstine
Tor Titans: Foudy and Tchor
Miss Sens: Cohen and Bulovs
Tor Red Wings: Jackson and Timchenko

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'm with you on everything you said except the notion that a D worthy of being picked in the top 1, 2 or 3 overall wouldn't bump Pilon (and perhaps a couple of others) off the depth chart.
Excluding Hakon for obvious reasons and Nikita who I really can't justify being around as a 19yo anyway, Pilon is the only one I could see being bumped. I would prefer not see him moved because the Firebirds are sorely lacking in grit and toughness. Enough where it's noticeable even in the soft hockey world that is the OHL in 2018. Pilon's been developing into that guy a bit lately. Gordeev might be 6ft6 with 100 PIM's but they are almost exclusively the I'll-advised non tough guy variety. I've just being wondering if there's no reporting issues, is there a forward close enough to Drysdale (and/or Moore who I've seen mentioned a couple times) to justify being selected 2nd overall. Either way, I know I have not seen Joe Stefan around the arena as much as last year. Hopefully he's hitting the rinks hard.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
... because the Firebirds are sorely lacking in grit and toughness. Enough where it's noticeable even in the soft hockey world that is the OHL in 2018...
Grit and toughness obviously means very little to Oulahen and his staff, or Duchesne would still be wearing the Navy and Orange...and here we are bringing that up again..lol.

Anyway, if the D core in the 19-20 season consists of Gordeev, Busby, McCort, Gretz, Drysdale, and one other, be it Pilon or someone else, I think they'll be in good shape.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
lets play....if the draft was today 1st round imho enter yours !!

sudbury--byfield
flint--drysdale
erie--stranges
peterborough--moore
mississauga--valade
windsor--cuylle
ottawa--peterson
oshawa--perfetti
north bay--halliday
owen sound--power
saginaw--schingoethe
guelph--tolnai
niagara--peters
london--foudy
kingston--veirling
sarnia--barnes
barrie --robinson gthl
hamilton--evangelista
kitchener--uberti
ssm--butler yse
I see that you have Moore and Drysdale as the two top Marlboros. I agree but I haven't seen Valade mentioned much either. it's Either Halliday or Peters that gets mentioned. But I agree with you. I think Valade is the best Marlboros forward. Halliday and Peters do have a size advantage over him, but I don't really see anything. I find Halliday an awkward skater. I feel as though Vierling is getting overlooked because of Byfield, but becasue of him and to a lesser extent Butler that team has two excellent lines that can dominate. I've also said it before. Wong is another one who I think will go high because he is overlooked. Maybe not first round. I just thinks he plays a smart game, makes the right plays and although less aggresive offensively he seems to know the right times to carry the puck up and get it deep or create a play. He doesn't give the puck away a lot. I've seen games where Drysdale has given the puck up five or six times, yet Wong never seems to. He loves to play the body and seems to always lay out a big hit.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Long time reader and follow draft close

Tullio is a 1st

if the gens want him they need to take him in the 1st or gamble that he’s there very early in the 2nd. Not sure what 2nds the have.

No chance he lasts to the 3rd imo

Think so? I see him as a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

I hope the Gens don't take him though. Not because he's not good, but because so much can go wrong with the father/son dynamic when the dad is a high up decision maker in the organization. An unwarranted risk if you ask me

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I too hope that Flint can get a forward with the 2nd pick. Our scouts will have to see how the year finishes and really analyze those Top 10 lists to see who could be worthy of a 2nd overall pick. With the 2nd and 21st or 22nd pick, we should be able to address some major needs.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
OHL Gold Cup is under the Hockey Canada umbrella and the event is used to evaluate Ontario players for invite to the summer Hockey Canada U17 camp in Calgary.

I believe only Canadians or players eligible to play for Canada, are invited to play on the various teams in the OHL Gold Cup. Therefore, even if Chayka becomes OHL draft eligible, he will not play at Gold Cup.
won’t be eligible. Parents don’t live here
Its a box that needs to be checked.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think i'd like Wong more if he were a few inches taller. Very good midget player, but I wonder how well his game will translate, as is.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Caught CIHA White today. Sebrango looks like a legit top 60 pick. Peterson had moments of complete dominance.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
As per the tournament website, CIH White lost 7-1 to Pacific Coast Academy and 6-3 Northern Alberta Xtreme.

http://events.csshl.ca/leagues/schedules.cfm?clientid=5919&leagueid=24052

Can anyone speak to the calibre of these teams?

The two local teams in the tournament, The Hill Academy and St Andrews are middling Midget teams and neither have any high end prospects or high draft picks from previous OHL drafts. What about the out of town teams?

Daneurism, seeing as you were there, perhaps you saw enough to comment on the quality of the competition?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, there's a disparity in the strength of these teams. Yale and NAX are both top academy teams from out west with college/whl prospects up and down their rosters(If you get a chance, go check out NAX in particular). I would say it's the depth that separates the western academy teams, from the eastern ones. The 9th forward on Yale or NAX looks like they could be playing Junior A. Equivalent, maybe, to top U16 teams in the states.

Haven't seen Hill or St Andrews yet.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I see that you have Moore and Drysdale as the two top Marlboros. I agree but I haven't seen Valade mentioned much either. it's Either Halliday or Peters that gets mentioned. But I agree with you. I think Valade is the best Marlboros forward. Halliday and Peters do have a size advantage over him, but I don't really see anything. I find Halliday an awkward skater. I feel as though Vierling is getting overlooked because of Byfield, but becasue of him and to a lesser extent Butler that team has two excellent lines that can dominate. I've also said it before. Wong is another one who I think will go high because he is overlooked. Maybe not first round. I just thinks he plays a smart game, makes the right plays and although less aggresive offensively he seems to know the right times to carry the puck up and get it deep or create a play. He doesn't give the puck away a lot. I've seen games where Drysdale has given the puck up five or six times, yet Wong never seems to. He loves to play the body and seems to always lay out a big hit.
i agree with wong very steady and will go quite high i believe

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Think so? I see him as a 2nd rounder, not a 1st.

I hope the Gens don't take him though. Not because he's not good, but because so much can go wrong with the father/son dynamic when the dad is a high up decision maker in the organization. An unwarranted risk if you ask me
i see him as a 2nd as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad