2018 ohl draft April 7th

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
i just think erie has had luck with US kids in past, US based team, erie will be picking ahead of saginaw and i just think it would be tough to pass on drysdale for flint leaving stranges for erie. GM Brown is pretty good at getting guys to report as well so its just a hunch !
Certainly possible they take him. And why erie over flint and Saginaw? Because we have recently shown much more stability as an organization. But Erie will only be taking a player that is 100% committed to coming. After trading a million picks, Allan McShane, and Brett Neumann - they aren’t in position to take a “risk”
They need the top pick and it’s one of the good things that will come out of this year. I myself as an erie fan wanted to finish bottom 4. The team needs the pick. They are capable of being good again in 2 years but that pick is crucial to it

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
With all due respect and based on the last handful of years of the on-ice product, I would argue that getting this pick right is more crucial to Flint and probably Saginaw too, as compared to Erie.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
With all due respect and based on the last handful of years of the on-ice product, I would argue that getting this pick right is more crucial to Flint and probably Saginaw too, as compared to Erie.
Your still in the running for first overall which would mean Byfield. Sudbury is healthy now with Malik and Lipinov back. They are very capable of putting a winning streak together. The fans may hope the team tanks but the players want to win and believe me they are more concerned with their play than who is the pick next season. Some of them are playing for spots next season and are not willing to sacrifice that for a player like Byfield who could easily bump them for ice time.

Reactions: foghorn

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Caught CIHA White today. Sebrango looks like a legit top 60 pick. Peterson had moments of complete dominance.

Great to hear. Both kids play in HEO U18 league in Ottawa that gets minimal out side exposure. Both are committed to BU (verbal) and Peterson is a duel citizen and I hear USA Hockey would like him to come to the program. Were do you think they could go in OHL draft?

Reactions: Pinwheels

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Peterson has suggested he will follow NCAA and not OHL Statistically he has dropped in HEO . Yes he should be drafted high but it will be a gamble since they want to pursue NCAA.

HEO coaches suggest he isn't the dominate player he was 1-2 yrs ago
its a real risk with these ottawa kids now, the tier 2 league over there gets them as property in major bantam and have way too much control over the players. Heard lots of stories of kids being drafted just beyond the 2nd and coaches of the CCHL telling kids at 16 if they go to their ohl camp dont bother coming back to the team that has your rights in the CCHL no spot for them, forcing kids to make a huge decision which then leads to the ncaa. The CCHL pushes ncaa so that the kids will stay in the ottawa area and play at home its a bullying tactic by the CCHL teams. hockey canada needs to look at this, in now way should they have the right to own kids in major bantam.. period. so alot of ohl teams will drop kids down the list for ohl draft from ottawa or you better do your homework on them!!!

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Deep sleepers or bold predictions?

I really like Vanwaterschoot from Whitby. He'll need a year at a lower tier to improve his skating and agility/balance, but there's so many positives to his game. Would not at all be surprised if he turns out to be a very good OHLer at 19.

Reactions: flamebird

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Any word if the projected Top 3--4 will report to their drafted teams or will there be some surprises in which top 3-4 will get drafted lower to a team they want to report too?

Perfetti will only report to London/Oshawa otherwise he'd go top 5. Havent heard of Byfield/Drysdale not willing to go to SBY/FLT

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Perfetti will only report to London/Oshawa otherwise he'd go top 5. Havent heard of Byfield/Drysdale not willing to go to SBY/FLT
rumblings on both.. and may be a team take perfetti anyways which i love, either play in ohl or play in ncaa you are either a player or not. Wish we could just go to a commitment list in february in or out of ohl ..lets get some parity...keep hearing about west is best well lets make it fair because most of the teams that suffer with this are in the east so they never are able to climb out of it imo

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
rumblings on both.. and may be a team take perfetti anyways which i love, either play in ohl or play in ncaa you are either a player or not. Wish we could just go to a commitment list in february in or out of ohl ..lets get some parity...keep hearing about west is best well lets make it fair because most of the teams that suffer with this are in the east so they never are able to climb out of it imo

Well wouldn't that be bizarre that Byfield refuses to report to Sudbury, Flint and Erie. Consensus number 1 all year. Anyway Sudbury will pick him regardless IMO. Too much to lose by not.

WJ

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Well wouldn't that be bizarre that Byfield refuses to report to Sudbury, Flint and Erie. Consensus number 1 all year. Anyway Sudbury will pick him regardless IMO. Too much to lose by not.

WJ
I hope so WJ ! Love to see him land in Sudbury (or to petes lol) but Sudbury needs a break good coach now hopefully onward and upward!

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Sudbury will draft Byfield if they have first pick which at this point is not a sure thing. Seems Flint is on a mission the way they have played their last few games. Byfield I am sure would report as the Jack Ferguson award is a very important step in their careers. The ice he would get and the opportunity of 1st and second line minutes to him would be a big deal. With a new arena in the works within 2 years could very well land a Memorial Cup hosting as the league would love for it to move North for a change. That could possibly happen in Byfields draft year. Sudbury just has to be smart and play their cards right.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Rumor has the Michigan and other NCAA schools are going hard after Drysdale. Could be a good strategy for some top players to accept the NCAA commitment and use it as leverage similar to Victor Mete

Refresh my memory please how did Domi handle being drafted by Kingston and then traded to London?
"good strategy" "use it as leverage" :help:

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Rumor has the Michigan and other NCAA schools are going hard after Drysdale. Could be a good strategy for some top players to accept the NCAA commitment and use it as leverage similar to Victor Mete

Refresh my memory please how did Domi handle being drafted by Kingston and then traded to London?
worked out well; Max's mom was awarded an assistants job with the Knights and carried his equipment into the rink for him.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
what will the OHL Cup committee do now that HEO team will not participate in this years OHL Cup?
* HEO – 2017 Bantam champion Ottawa Jr. 67’s.
^^ GTHL – The four teams that reach the league semi-finals shall be awarded a tournament spot.
## OMHA – The four teams that place at the OMHA Championships shall be awarded a tournament spot.
** ALLIANCE – The third team would be the winner of the Alliance Semi-Final Wild Card Series. (Best of three series between two teams who lost in league semi-finals)

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Heard HEO team dropped out - NOT confirmed strong rumour

HEO Minor and the U18 league were trying to send the two teams that went to the Marlies and Peterborough. The selection committee for the OHL Cup turned that idea down and they asked HEO Minor to send the Ottawa 67 bantams.
HEO entry has not dropped out. They were voted out by HEO Minor executive.
The parents of the 67bantams and the 67 AAA association have appealed this decision to HEO( appeal was Saturday Fed 24th). Decision should be today or Tuesday. Regardless of who wins appeal both can appeal to Hockey Canada but time is running out.

Reactions: Pinwheels

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Don't agree, HEO is trying to get 2 teams into OHL Cup. They entered 2 teams in the Marlie and Peterborough tournaments.
HEO fortunate they didn't lose as many 02's into the GTHL or YSE (St. Andrews) this season.
Stats on HEO are misleading because the league is very diluted
as you see below not alone in that thought......

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
HEO Minor and the U18 league were trying to send the two teams that went to the Marlies and Peterborough. The selection committee for the OHL Cup turned that idea down and they asked HEO Minor to send the Ottawa 67 bantams.
HEO entry has not dropped out. They were voted out by HEO Minor executive.
The parents of the 67bantams and the 67 AAA association have appealed this decision to HEO( appeal was Saturday Fed 24th). Decision should be today or Tuesday. Regardless of who wins appeal both can appeal to Hockey Canada but time is running out.
they were 2 allstar teams but i did enjoy watching them maybe ohl fears they are too strong? ottawa area hockey is a mess driven by executives NOT looking out for the kids!!!

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
HEO did not make a decision on the 67 bantam appeal. They suggested a compromise that would have to be made between HEO Minor and the parents of the 67 bantams. It would also have to be approved by the GTHL/OHL selection committee.
This compromise gives HEO, HEO Minor the chance to blame the OHL cup selection committee if they do not accept the HEO entry as presented. This non decision is gutless.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
HEO proposal isnt fair to other Ontario centres including GTHL What is their end game and why is this unraveling 6 weeks before the Cup?

It’s been going on for years. They want to have their cake and eat it too. Last year the GTHL let the bantam champs reform and participate in the OHL Cup. They want to do the same this year but HEO, via the CCHL, want more and are pushing the envelope. Not Happy is right, it’s an easy out for all the CCHL, they can blame the GTHL.

They want 2 Minor Midget all star teams, but I get why the GTHL doesn’t want it, what stops the OMHA or ALLIANCE for trying to get all star teams into the tournament.

The CCHL/HEO said that tournaments are a waste of money when they launched U18, why are they all of a sudden trying to get two teams in?

Last edited:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
CCHL is a bully league owning bantams forcing hands with ncaa pressure and telling players if goto ohl camps you’re not welcome back and “we own you”..and HEO wasn’t designed for kids in mind as I said it’s the execs ...hockey Canada needs to step in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad