2018 ohl draft April 7th

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Have you seen Byfield play? He is a clear cut first overall pick IMO. How is that misleading?
Yes I have and I agree.

But saying he’s the best player and that he is going 1st overall are different things. History of the draft tells you so. Top players choose their destinations.

Last edited:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Yes I have and I agree.

But saying he’s the best player and that he is going 1st overall are different things. History of the draft tells you so. Top players chose their destinations.
I guess I worded it wrong. I just know he is clear cut BPA.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Yes I have and I agree.

But saying he’s the best player and that he is going 1st overall are different things. History of the draft tells you so. Top players choose their destinations.

Some do, some don't. McDavid and Stamkos didn't care where they went, for example.

Reactions: flamebird

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Yes I have and I agree.

whose the last kid from ontariot hat was suppose to go 1st overall and didnt? i cant think of one. us kids sure, but ontario?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

:huh:
guy said players who are rated first overall dont go first overall often. so i asked him, tell me the last ontario kid that was suppose to go 1st overall and didnt. it happens to americans all the time, not ontario kids.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
i dont think that hosang was going ahead of connor mcdavid :)

In the opinion of a lot of OHL scouts and teams at the time had Josh in the mix for # 1 overall till late in the year . Things changed when it sounded like Connor was going to ask for special exception status.( IMO)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
In the opinion of a lot of OHL scouts and teams at the time had Josh in the mix for # 1 overall till late in the year . Things changed when it sounded like Connor was going to ask for special exception status.( IMO)
Yes so what’s your point?
Ho-Sang was certainly the hot topic for 1st overall. But that was before the status of McDavid was known. Once he was granted his status, he was the clear best player available and consensus 1st overall.

Byfield is #1 this year. Is there a chance Byfield doesn’t want to go to Sudbury? Yes.. who would. They haven’t shown any life in so long. The team hasn’t won 40 games since 1994-95. Even Erie had more life in them when they drafted McDavid. Flint might be an issue too. But I can’t see both of these teams passing on Byfield. And I don’t see Byfield dictating terms

Reactions: Puckclektr

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

thats not really the point. once mcdavid was eligible, hosang wasn't 1. the question was what ontario player who was rated 1 heading into the draft played the game not to be #1, hosand wasn't #1

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
things changed when they did some homework..........wicked talent but.....o_O

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
thats not really the point. once mcdavid was eligible, hosang wasn't 1. the question was what ontario player who was rated 1 heading into the draft played the game not to be #1, hosand wasn't #1
i think we've got the telephone game going on here now people....byfield is the best player available agents may make it known he isnt interested in a few teams and itlll be up to them to either walk or pick him anyways...id be picking him hands down...yup hands down..he is gonna play in league and a team like london has lots of young guys to grab along with an extra 1st next year and maybe some 2nds too and hed report there for sure!!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i think we've got the telephone game going on here now people....byfield is the best player available agents may make it known he isnt interested in a few teams and itlll be up to them to either walk or pick him anyways...id be picking him hands down...yup hands down..he is gonna play in league and a team like london has lots of young guys to grab along with an extra 1st next year and maybe some 2nds too and hed report there for sure!!

were all on the same page i think, someone just took issue with one poster saying he would go #1s. theres no evidence that he wont, ontario kids rarely ever say no to going #1.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
:huh:
guy said players who are rated first overall dont go first overall often. so i asked him, tell me the last ontario kid that was suppose to go 1st overall and didnt. it happens to americans all the time, not ontario kids.

not sure if i'm following but in 2015 draft, Gabriel Vilardi or Owen Tippett was going back and forth as number #1, but Levin was picked, due to Villardi and Tippet didn't want to report to Sudbury.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Took me a bit to appreciate Luke Evangelista's game fully. Him and Perfetti both have the uncanny ability to manipulate gaps between themselves and the defender, while in possession.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
not sure if i'm following but in 2015 draft, Gabriel Vilardi or Owen Tippett was going back and forth as number #1, but Levin was picked, due to Villardi and Tippet didn't want to report to Sudbury.

both independent scouting companies that publish rankings had levin 1. the head of OHL scouting was on the ohl cup broadcast that year and said levin was their top prospect

cub

Apr 11, 2012
both independent scouting companies that publish rankings had levin 1. the head of OHL scouting was on the ohl cup broadcast that year and said levin was their top prospect

Depends what list you follow, I saw Tippet mostly on top of list HockeyProspect.com. it was tightly between four guys Levin, Tippet, Villardi and Mcleod. I believe Wolves wanted Villardi or Tippett before Levin. Villardi wasn't coming over because screwed over his brother, and Tippet didn't want to come but was also injured.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Depends what list you follow, I saw Tippet mostly on top of list HockeyProspect.com. it was tightly between four guys Levin, Tippet, Villardi and Mcleod. I believe Wolves wanted Villardi or Tippett before Levin. Villardi wasn't coming over because screwed over his brother, and Tippet didn't want to come but was also injured.

I can’t speak to what the wolves wanted, I can only speak to that the ohl central scout said on the ohl cup broadcast

either way it appears as thou there was no clear cut 1, so I’m not sure it’s a great example of what we where talking about

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I can’t speak to what the wolves wanted, I can only speak to that the ohl central scout said on the ohl cup broadcast

either way it appears as thou there was no clear cut 1, so I’m not sure it’s a great example of what we where talking about

you mentioned that players wouldn't pass up being #1 pick, i think in this scenario it did.

U Otter B There

Aug 25, 2016
whose the last kid from ontariot hat was suppose to go 1st overall and didnt? i cant think of one. us kids sure, but ontario?
Taylor Hall. Also, in 2008 Erik Gudbranson (not sure if he was the top-ranked player) asked Erie not to draft him as he wanted to continue bilingual studies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

McKeen's had Levin 1, Vilardi 2 and Tippett down at 5

Reactions: cub

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Who is in the 10-15 range?
ill take a stab although possibly some of these go before 10 but....id have guys like halliday butler piercey schleuting hardie terry murray peters evangelista some ottawa guys barnes mcdonald to name some ,of course depends on US guys taken early or some guys saying they are going ncaa and end up on your team haha

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Who is in the 10-15 range?

Cole Perfetti could still be there if Oshawa doesn't take him before London picks, sounds like he has a very limited list of who he'll report to and rumour is those 2 teams are on it

Reactions: LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->