2018 ohl draft April 7th

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Has there been a vote and outcome? What is the OHL selection committee doing?

It is now official, Mr. Denis Dumais, HEO Minor President has denied the 67's the opportunity to attend the OHL Cup. There will be no representation from our branch. Kids caught in political nonsense.

So now what does the selection committee do. Educated guess, they add two more teams to the play in games on Tuesday and all winning teams wild cards. ( next 2 highest ranked teams in Ontario)
A sad day for hockey in the HEO area.
HEO Minor has extended the U 18 pilot for another 2 years so with no Minor Midget in the HEO area what does the selection committee of the OHL Cup do going forward with the HEO kids/players.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
It is now official, Mr. Denis Dumais, HEO Minor President has denied the 67's the opportunity to attend the OHL Cup. There will be no representation from our branch. Kids caught in political nonsense.

So now what does the selection committee do. Educated guess, they add two more teams to the play in games on Tuesday and all winning teams wild cards. ( next 2 highest ranked teams in Ontario)
A sad day for hockey in the HEO area.
HEO Minor has extended the U 18 pilot for another 2 years so with no Minor Midget in the HEO area what does the selection committee of the OHL Cup do going forward with the HEO kids/players.
Brilliant idea....hockey Canada please step in for the minor midget kids that would actually like to play in our top junior league in this province NOT be bullied into playing tier 2 to selfishly keep kids local and push ncaa..it’s a disgrace at this point

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
As someone who just had his kid leave (different sport but the equivalent of AA/AAA bantam basically- NOT SOCCER :)) their shady organization for one that is all about the development of the athletes and what's best for each of those individuals as opposed to cash or politics or a self serving agenda I can't tell you how awesome and relieving it is. I can't believe some of the people who use these kids dreams to further their agenda or pocketbooks at the expense of the kids.

Reactions: foghorn

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
How about the ratings for up coming draft as teams jockey like sudbury. Has the consensus changed Byfield, Drysdale etc?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think the consensus is Byfield. He is the best one available at any position. Kid can be a game changer, though Drysdale is really good too. He pulls off some shake and bake moves to evade the opposition that are fun to watch. But if I'm Sudbury or Flint, I'm picking Byfield all day.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I think the consensus is Byfield. He is the best one available at any position. Kid can be a game changer, though Drysdale is really good too. He pulls off some shake and bake moves to evade the opposition that are fun to watch. But if I'm Sudbury or Flint, I'm picking Byfield all day.
I agree. Byfield all day. Just had another strong game today nice goal and had a few really nice setups. I don't even have Drysdale first on his team

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Watched yse Oakville today - what a great game.

Byfield played great at both ends today which for me is a real stepping stone.

Vierling was fantastic today such a great player

Colangelo does all the dirty work and scored a huge day.

Butler was good but took 3 penalties

Tolnai was fantastic for Oakville

Murray was great took a penalty at the end of the game that he had to take or it would have been a breakaway it was a good game overall for him.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

Murray was great took a penalty at the end of the game that he had to take or it would have been a breakaway it was a good game overall for him.
I agree it was a really good game. I like vierling but I thought he had an off game compared to his usual. A few giveaways. He had the nice winner at the end. I think he is a For sure first rounder though, maybe top ten
Tolnai stood out for me as well. Number 9 I think. He was their best. Byfield of course was unreal. Had another nice goal.

Barrie Guelph is a really good game. Forester and Hardie have great chemistry.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012

I agree it was a really good game. I like vierling but I thought he had an off game compared to his usual. A few giveaways. He had the nice winner at the end. I think he is a For sure first rounder though, maybe top ten
Tolnai stood out for me as well. Number 9 I think. He was their best. Byfield of course was unreal. Had another nice goal.

Barrie Guelph is a really good game. Forester and Hardie have great chemistry.

Was hoping to take in the gold medal game tomorrow, what is the tiebreaker? I see Guelph, Oakville and Barrie are all sitting at 2-2

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Was hoping to take in the gold medal game tomorrow, what is the tiebreaker? I see Guelph, Oakville and Barrie are all sitting at 2-2
I was trying to figure that out. I can't confirm but I would think goal differential. If yse wins they're in. I think oakville has the most differential with +5. Nobody seems to know the tiebreaker but I've heard two people say Guelph is in.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
I was trying to figure that out. I can't confirm but I would think goal differential. If yse wins they're in. I think oakville has the most differential with +5

Cheers! An Oakville YSE final would be a treat. Also would be pretty funny if YSE loses to Quinte and every team finishes 2-2

Reactions: Puckclektr

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I heard Morrison is going off this weekend for Guelph. Another 3 goals today. First time seeing a lot of the scta teams. A lot of compete there.

I may trek back down tmrw to see the final

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I heard Morrison is going off this weekend for Guelph. Another 3 goals today. First time seeing a lot of the scta teams. A lot of compete there.

I may trek back down tmrw to see the final

Morrison, Vierling and Hardie have been great all weekend

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017

i dont think its a stretch to say vierling is #3 in the draft if we say byfield 1 drysdale 2

Reactions: Pinwheels

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think Moore, Peterson, Perfetti, Stranges, Power, Cullye, Bakanov, Chayka and Tolnai might have something to say about that but everyone has their own lists.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
i dont think its a stretch to say vierling is #3 in the draft if we say byfield 1 drysdale 2
vierling was not good in the game against oakville today imo. He played better against quinte. I think Hardie can go higher than Vierling as well as a few people. Can he go #3. It's possible.
I still feel as though if going best player available I go Byfield then Moore as a one two. But I know I'm in the minority with Moore over drysdale.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I think Hardie, Foerster and Morrison did a lot this weekend to improve their draft stocks. All will go higher than people had them a month ago.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I wouldn't take either of Bakanov or Chayka over Vierling. I still have some lingering doubts about Chayka's hockey iq, and Bakanov is dominant, in part, because of his physical maturity. Vierling is a gifted, gifted player.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I wouldn't take either of Bakanov or Chayka over Vierling. I still have some lingering doubts about Chayka's hockey iq, and Bakanov is dominant, in part, because of his physical maturity. Vierling is a gifted, gifted player.

Doesn't matter because Chayka isn't getting OHL Draft eligibility anyways...

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Draft is just a month away. If Flint has the 2nd pick and wants a forward/center, would Evan Vierling, Cameron Tolnai, or Andrei Bakanov be worthy picks? Or instead, should we still draft Jamie Drysdale or Leyton Moore and if they do not report (Drysdale) trade for prospects and picks?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Draft is just a month away. If Flint has the 2nd pick and wants a forward/center, would Evan Vierling, Cameron Tolnai, or Andrei Bakanov be worthy picks? Or instead, should we still draft Jamie Drysdale or Leyton Moore and if they do not report (Drysdale) trade for prospects and picks?

All 3 could definitely go that high. Another interesting name is Antonio Stranges. If he was for sure coming OHL he'd be top 5 but he's committed to Michigan. Could help Flint being an American team and him an American player

Reactions: TcNorth

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
All 3 could definitely go that high. Another interesting name is Antonio Stranges. If he was for sure coming OHL he'd be top 5 but he's committed to Michigan. Could help Flint being an American team and him an American player
yes thats the pick im thinking of for flint...sudbury takes a name im hearing other than byfield and then the Petes come up and take you know who......

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Well, they’ll only be able to trade him for picks. And they’ll only get the 5th pick the following year as compensation, not the 3rd. So I think it makes more sense to take a sure thing. Worked out well with Dellandrea.

I think the whole thing would make more sense if the OHL allowed trading of first round picks like the rest of the CHL. That way Flint could trade down in the first round and still get the player they might end up taking, plus get the compensation. That way they’re not waiting to get the first round compensation. Once the season begins, 16 year old players are not allowed to be traded. Just future first round picks.

Reactions: Savard18 and Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad